Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Resident fainting goat

1 would be my ideal for single.
2 would be do-able in a relationship.

I've never been a fan of having more than one honestly, while I like the idea in theory (another dog to play with, him never being alone, etc..) in actual practice.... not my thing. Especially living in a city with rental limits and with the amount of stuff I do with Merlin that would not be possible with 2. So without another person, I probably wouldn't want another.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:38 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Count me in the it's a mix of space, money and the dogs temperament.

I personally like having 2 dogs, especially when Muffin is one of them... LOL. He's an amazing snuggler... But OMG he sucks for any halfway serious hikes. I feel bad saying that but it's the truth.

Where I am now in life I couldn't handle more than two, space an money being the issues. When I finally get my house in the country though? It would just depend on the mix of dog personalities. I'd say I'd prob cap off at 4, but who knows... As the dogs age and become less active, I can easily see myself adding more active ones.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Big Dog

For me, two dogs is good. Three is pushing it.

I'm married with a little one, so I have no desire to keep a plethora of dogs. I'd rather put the time and effort into the ones I have so that they make excellent pets, rather then over dog myself.

I tend to dog sit quite a bit for friends, and I can tell you that four dogs in the house for sure is too many for me.

I've seen people get over extended with the dog thing, and for me that's when it ceases to be fun.

No matter how many you want or have or whatever, as long as you're able to enjoy it and it doesn't add more stress, then I think you're ok.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

As long as I live in this apartment, one is my limit, just because that is all anyone is allowed to have. If I were living in a house by myself, then I would have two. I don't see myself ever living in a house by myself though, since as soon as I'm done with school I plan on getting a house with my SO, and I'm not really sure what our limit would be then. I could probably easily do four then, with perhaps an extra space for a foster.

I'm thinking one "pet" (a more laid back breed/individual), two actively competing dogs, and one "up and coming."
Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Let it be

I have one. I am not single but I do live alone so I will count that as single. I would have another if my kids were older but its not feasible right now to add a second. When living with another person if they were helping out with dog chores? I would happily have two.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
& the Muttly Crew

My main issue is I would have to board my dogs a fair bit if I were single. Outside of that aspect, my three would be no problem for just me.

That said if it weren't for hubby's help, I would not be planning to whelp Mira at home -- she'd be going to her breeders' or not being bred at all. Even with me saving up vacation for over a year and working a temporary work-from-home and having hubby, I'm still planning on bringing in a knowledge guest (hopefully one of Mira's breeders) for the whelping and immediate after care and raising. I'd rather be overprepared and not need the help than any alternative.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Top Dog

Three would be ideal, 4 would be a limit.

I had three just fine when I was single last spring for a few months and one was a 4 week old puppy... Now I'm in a relationship, but my significant other doesn't really do anything with the dogs or help me out (because I don't need it, not because he won't help) so it's almost like I'm single? lol. Or just have a roommate...

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 05-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Club Terrible - President

On my own, probably 3-4, one of those being a dog in training, so there would be a new dog coming in with a current one going out regularly.
With Rick, there isn't really a limit. Depends too heavily on what the dogs are like, where we are in life, etc.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Big Dog

Whelpwise is expensive, but always a good option so that you can see if the contractions are strong enough and also to moniter puppies.

I was looking into it, and I think it's $400.00, but you have to make sure that you schedule ahead to get it.

My mentor and I whelped my girl at home without it and she's actually raising the puppies for me because I just don't have time to socialize them properly. I'm really lucky to have such wonderful friends.

It was a very emotional experience and I'm really glad I didn't try to do it alone (that never would have been an option. Had I not had a mentor, I would have never had a litter in the first place).
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 AM
such sights to show you

Honestly I might have more dogs if I was single. My husband would not have any dogs if he weren't married to me. He loves ours, but he is really a cat person at heart and wouldn't choose to have dogs on his own.

Because of that, although he is very VERY considerate of helping with their care, by my choice I do most of the work for them now anyway. I think his ideal would be 1 dog; mine is 2-3. If I were single and didn't have to care about anyone else's feelings I might go up to 4.