Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Default Single vs. Serious Relationship Dog Numbers

With all the life insurance conversations Josh and I have been having with his new job, it got me thinking about how I would manage if he ever passed away (tragic and weird, I know).

So what was/is your ideal for single life? Mine would be two MAX. Ideally, I would only want one dog. But in a serious relationship, I see us having at least four, easily.

You?

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 05-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Top Dog

Well I am single and one is actually really really good for me and my lifestyle right now. With that said, I do want a second, it's just not the right timing.

2 is my max by myself.

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I was just talking about this yesterday with my friends when we were hiking. Single I think two would be my max. In a serious relationship I thought only 3, but after having 3 for a while now I could see us adding a 4th in a few years.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Glutton for Crazy

One or two. I've always had one or two of my own and we have four together. He would positively only own one by himself.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm All Ears

Well I am single with two dogs and a third definitely planned. Lately I have been even contemplating a fourth. But I am not sure that is a good plan. We will see what happens with three. I think i will aim for 2-3 always. I dont like having only one dog. All I know is 6 was too much lol.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

I'm single and have 2, but I had 3 dogs for quite awhile. Only 2 feels weird. I wouldn't like to go below 2. The amount of dogs I have is bounded more by space and money than anything. If I had the right set up for it, I could easily go 4 or 5. It's just hard when you travel, so I'd have to also have an RV so everyone could come.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Top Dog

The dogs are definitely mine but one doesn't live with me. She's an exception... I think I could handle two, if they were stable-ish dogs.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Well, I currently have three, four if you count Georgie which I only do about half the time since she's really not mine except for the training work I do with her. And I will have a fourth of my own in a few years, which is the limit in the city.

I don't have a limit number if there are two of us. The plan at that point would be to live in the country where there's no city limit, so. Yeah. I dunno. Six? Seven? It depends on the dogs too. I never intended to have four, I intended to have three. Pepper threw a wrench in the plans. I don't know if it will eventually become three down the road or not. Right now the three I have is not what I want. Retired Auggie, Pepper just being Pepper, and Payton the only active sports dog? Boo. But Auggie and Pepper are both so ridiculously low maintenance, really, that it's a non-issue. Four Paytons would be terrible OTOH.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

Its not the dogs I worry about! I could handle the same amount of dogs and afford them just fine, but the horses are another story. Money is not so much the issue but not having someone to help with moving hay and cleaning stalls occasionally makes all the difference. I would likely get down to one or two vs the three I have now and the more I want.

On the other side I have told my husband my life insurance money is so he can support the critters since he can support himself. I told him I would haunt him if he sold them.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Well, I currently have three, four if you count Georgie which I only do about half the time since she's really not mine except for the training work I do with her. And I will have a fourth of my own in a few years, which is the limit in the city.

I don't have a limit number if there are two of us. The plan at that point would be to live in the country where there's no city limit, so. Yeah. I dunno. Six? Seven? It depends on the dogs too. I never intended to have four, I intended to have three. Pepper threw a wrench in the plans. I don't know if it will eventually become three down the road or not. Right now the three I have is not what I want. Retired Auggie, Pepper just being Pepper, and Payton the only active sports dog? Boo. But Auggie and Pepper are both so ridiculously low maintenance, really, that it's a non-issue. Four Paytons would be terrible OTOH.
Yeah that's kind of where I'm at. My two are low maintenance these days. I'm enjoying playing with them so much and I am glad I am. But hopefully next year will add a young sports dog to the mix. Then once summer retires i could see another sports dog added. City limit here is four. The plan was never four dogs.

In my daydream relationship he and I both have lots of dogs and live in the country. I am still waiting for the border collie agility guy...