Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Behavior Nerd

Default Living with dogs - a discussion of perspectives

Saw this on a fb thread regarding a dog who died when he was left unattended in a car.

"My personal rule of thumb is if I wouldn't do this with a human child, then I shouldn't do it with my dog either. "

I have my own opinions, but wanted to hear what you all might say....

Old 05-05-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm All Ears

My opinion:

LOL
Old 05-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

My dog is not a child; what I would or wouldn't do with a kid is irrelevant in regards to what I do with my dogs.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Sit! Good dog.

My dogs aren't humans, they don't sit at the table and they don't have their own bedrooms etc etc.

But at some level, I agree. I don't really treat my dogs as sub human, and I have the same philosophies about dogs training as I do rearing children.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

Hyperbole, but the general sentiment resonates. I wouldn't allow my human child to skip school because I felt ill and didn't want to go, but I'll skip dog class for that reason. I wouldn't put a bark collar on my human child when they were yelling too much, but I do it to my dog. I wouldn't feed my kid out of a bowl on the floor, but my dog gets kibble out of a container on the carpet all the time.

That being said, there are a lot of things I would do to a child that I wouldn't do to a dog. I absolutely would punish them for things that happened when I wasn't there. My dog gets into the food on the counter when I'm in the other room? My fault. My kid gets into the food on the counter? Their fault, and I'm going to sit them down and explain why that was a poor choice and what the consequences are. Kids have a mental capacity dogs don't have, and the way you treat them should take that into consideration.

Bottom line: Treat each with kindness and respect. Pretty clear that leaving a dog in a hot car is not kind.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Saw this on a fb thread regarding a dog who died when he was left unattended in a car.

"My personal rule of thumb is if I wouldn't do this with a human child, then I shouldn't do it with my dog either. "

I have my own opinions, but wanted to hear what you all might say....
Um. No.
I wouldn't put my kid's bowl on the floor, but I do for my dogs.
I wouldn't lock a kid in a crate overnight with some toys and things to chew on, but I do with Fable.
I wouldn't let my kids eat horse manure.
I wouldn't shrug it off if my baby ate a dead rat.
I wouldn't feed a child raw meat.

I think you see where I'm going. Children =/= dogs.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Oh, and as far of my view of dogs. . .yes, like with a child, I am responsible for them and they deserve to be treated with compassion, but that's about where the similarity ends.

I love my dogs with all my heart. I think more highly of them than most people. They're not just pets, they're family and friends. They are not children, though, should not be treated as such, and I like 'em a whole lot better than kids.

ETA: Oops, sorry for the double post. I meant to edit my first one.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Top Dog

My dogs are animals, not children, and I treat my dogs as such. I don't pretend my dogs are humans, or compare them to children. However, I do believe that there are some similarities between how one should treat a dog vs. a child/any human being. It comes down to sense and compassion for me.

If the weather was such that I would be uncomfortable sitting in a car, or that I'd question whether I would leave a child in a car, then I certainly would not leave my dog in the car either. If the car is too hot, then it's too hot, regardless of whether it's a dog or a person in the car. It shouldn't matter what the species is.

And when it comes to training or just living with a dog, I try to approach it the same way as how I would want to be treated in many ways. Not identically, since you can't very well have a conversation and reason with a dog, or expect them to think logically and know better, but I mean more in the aspect of: If I want them to work, then they should be rewarded. I would not work without a pay cheque. And if they do something inappropriate, there will likely be a consequence. I try to be fair. But I keep things species appropriate, if that makes sense. While I feel some of the same philosophies should apply, I'm not going to use the exact same techniques on a dog as I would a child. Dogs learn way differently than humans and vise versa.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 05-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
My opinion:

LOL
No more words are needed.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I don't even get why children are brought into the equation in the first place. Don't leave your dog in a hot car because they are living, breathing, feeling animals. Why do kids come up at all?