Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Glutton for Crazy

You may also consider a calming cap and going through the motions but clipping the air in front of the toe and rewarding before going for gold.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
You may also consider a calming cap and going through the motions but clipping the air in front of the toe and rewarding before going for gold.
What's a calming cap??

I started off by clicking for paw, clicking for me holding a toe, clicking for clipper near foot, clipper touching nail, then a massive bounty for a snip.

Maybe I'm too impatient. I know its not impossible. It could all be over in 5 mins if it went well!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

When I clip nails, I hold the dog in my lap on his back, feet in the air. That way I can restrain him and clip nails at the same time. OF course I condition them to be comfortable in that position - and to stay in that position until being released - before ever starting nails, but it usually doesn't take very many sessions.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that whenever the dog successfully pulls away while we're trying to do nails, he's MAJORLY reinforced himself by avoiding the nail clipping. So in addition to reinforcing him for being still and allowing you to clip his nails, we have to be sure to NOT let him reinforce himself by pulling away.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
When I clip nails, I hold the dog in my lap on his back, feet in the air. That way I can restrain him and clip nails at the same time. OF course I condition them to be comfortable in that position - and to stay in that position until being released - before ever starting nails, but it usually doesn't take very many sessions.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that whenever the dog successfully pulls away while we're trying to do nails, he's MAJORLY reinforced himself by avoiding the nail clipping. So in addition to reinforcing him for being still and allowing you to clip his nails, we have to be sure to NOT let him reinforce himself by pulling away.
All of that!

I also have had luck with backing the dog into a corner and then holding their feet folded back (like a farrier does) instead of pulling the leg forward - gives me a great view of the nail bed and seems more comfortable for the dog.

Here's the horsie version:

Old 05-05-2013, 12:53 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Rumor used to lay on her side and let me dremel, until one day she just decided she didn't want to do that anymore. I have a grooming table but it's a pain to set up every time I want to do nails. Rather than force her to lay down when she doesn't want to, we've modified so that she now just backs into a corner and sits while I do fronts. When we transition to rears she sits on my arm. She's slightly too heavy for me to be able to support her like that, but I try to humor her, lol.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
All of that!

I also have had luck with backing the dog into a corner and then holding their feet folded back (like a farrier does) instead of pulling the leg forward - gives me a great view of the nail bed and seems more comfortable for the dog.

Here's the horsie version:
^that is how we do it at work. Except most of them are done on the grooming table. Restrained and sometimes with another person holding them.

If we get dogs that are too bad we refer them to the vet to have it done.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:21 PM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post

This. And I may or may not have beaned Rage in the head with the handle of the clippers before & told her to stop being a jackass. Usually they just lay there & accept it - nails are not optional here. Not even for Daisy, queen of the world. It used to take going to the vet & having 4 of us hold Daisy down & 1 to clip. Now I can roll her onto her back between my legs on the floor & dremel them all.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Mutts to you

I pick my nail battles Riley doesn't like being restrained and NEVER lets himself be placed on his back. He panics completely - which I learned during a 'tricks' class when he was a puppy. One of the tricks was a simple roll over, using clicks/treats, so nails weren't even involved. He never did learn to roll over...

Anyway, the best time for me to clip his nails is when he's relaxed and snoozing (in his bed, early morning, or on the couch in the evening). He makes half-hearted attempts to pull his foot away but ultimately lets me get a couple of paws done, because he's not really awake. I don't push getting them all done at one go, and even just getting a couple of nails clipped, then taking a break, and coming back to it, is what works for us.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 05-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

I don't push Tucker, I'd rather not be bit or have him become defensive about having his feet touched in other situations (like when I had to get a tick out of his toes last summer). As it is he's already terrified of me holding his foot if I have any tool in my other hand. I tried to trim his foot fur and he was convinced I was going to cut his nails. But so far if I have no tools he stays calm, and I don't want to lose that. So I have him scratch sand paper and it works alright. I'm thinking about smearing cream cheese on the wall and seeing if that'll distract him enough for me to clip one. Though I get so nervous about quicking him I don't know if I'll go through with it. I always quick him and wreck everything.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Silence, peasants.

This is the reason I want to be in Susan Garret's Puppy Peaks. I want to know how she teaches her dogs to tolerate dremeling. I must know.

That aside, I am going to attempt to shape lying on the back between my straight legs until released, and go from there. It will be epic.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle