Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Exclamation Nails. My arch nemesis.

We have worked on Fred's nails since the day he came home. And he STILL doesn't let us do them (he did at first and I was soooo impressed).

We've tried dremeling and clippers.

And treats, and clicker training.

He will only ever let me do one nail, and only a tiny sliver!! Then he gets silly, flails like a bunny rabbit, and won't give you his foot. If you gently hold his foot, he scoots its away and bounces backwards.

I don't get it. I don't know how you are supposed to cut a dogs frigging nails!!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Can your spouse hold him while you cut?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Tried this. Worse flailing. Even tried with him being carried.

I usually end up sat with the clicker in my mouth, treats between my legs, clippers in one hand and paw in the other.

He will let me do maximum 2 nails... I suppose I can do this every day till they're done.... And this is literally hold his paw and repeatedly clicking and treating so he doesn't pull away, then doing a quick snip when he's not expecting it. Then we are back to square one.

And this isn't even attempting his back feet.... Which currently look like talons!

I don't know whether to go back to the dremel... I've just ordered some guillotine clippers, not sure how that would make anything easier, but you never know.

It's not like we haven't ever done his nails and are just starting now. And I've been working on him being ok to have his feet handled since a wee pup!

Frustrates the hell out of me. Which I think he probably picks up. Losing battle!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'd honestly work on him accepting restraint, then. Sounds like it is less of a nail problem and more of a "I don't want to be held still" problem. Once you get him to accept being held still, the nails should be a breeze.

If it were my dog...I'd probably just sit on him and tell him to deal with it. LOL Which may not be the smartest or best thing, but coming from a world where I trim nails on a daily basis and the dogs are often complete and total idiots...I feel less bad about it.

My sister's pup is a brat about being restrained. Not so much the nails, but the restraint sends him into a fit. I had to trim his nails, so I just had someone hold him down and NOT let him move. Once he stopped flipping out he got treats, which he is happy about. I was then able to trim his nails without any fuss.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Sit! Good dog.

He seems to get more worked up holding him.... And I worry he's going to injure himself!

Might have to wait till he's fully recovered then sit on his head lol (joke!).

Old 05-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Little dog, big voice

Cali was like that, although the fact that she's less than five pounds does make it much easier to restrain her.

I ended up having to get my mom to hold her and then we'd give her a little piece of cheese after each nail. After maybe the fourth one, she relaxed and we were able to do all four feet. After a couple sessions of getting a treat for each nail, I'm now able to do a couple without any help and without Cali wiggling around.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Sit! Good dog.

We tried holding him again. There is no way that's happening. He panics and flails.

I think I'm going to give the dremel another try, and just try and do a tiny bit each day.

Le sigh. I want a nail clipping fairy.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Twin 2

I completely fail at training a dog to let me clip their nails. Completely.

Didgie was my best and just recently she decided it wasn't happening and Traveler will let me do anything and everything to him including pulling on his nails but I can't clip them.

So, I gave up on that route and instead use the idea I stole from Taq and taught them to scratch on an emery board I made out of ply wood and sandpaper.

So that might be something you could look into while working on getting him to accept getting his nails trimmed. Or when you give up like me and just use that.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:06 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
We tried holding him again. There is no way that's happening. He panics and flails.
Just like when you taught him to have his feet played with, you can teach him to accept restraint (maybe! LOL). Start off at slow increments, reward heavily, and make being restrained the best thing in the world.

Chloe used to bite if anyone tried to restrain her and I really had to work with her on it. She now will accept restraining from me, and select other people at the vet's office.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Sit! Good dog.

He's very much like bodhi in that they are both like rag dolls, right till you do something you need!

Will keep at it. I get so wound up though, I'm probably the wrong person to do it now.

I scoot bodhi across concrete to keep hers nice lol. Ball dog ftw. Fred isn't even a slippy slider (and can't anyway atm).