What do you do "wrong"?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Not only do they look alike, they sound so similar! Yucky boys!

Rory no longer gets a crate pad or blankets. I'm not sure he'd have the room to hump in his crate, but as a puppy he'd bunch up his pad and go to town on it.
I think they must be half brothers! lol We've since removed Talon's bed and he get's a blanket that is pulled under his crate so he can't hump it ;)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Our old toy poodle used to hump my sister's huge tiger toy (one of those huge ones from a fair). She would do it every single day and would GROWL if you came near her. It was like her ritual.

Before getting Rory, I didn't even KNOW boy dogs would do it and "finish." So nasty.

Thanks, Rory, for creating more laundry for me to do before my trip :rolleyes:

Shakou

Some more things.

Ma'ii isn't neutered, though I guess it depends on who you ask as to weather or not this is "wrong".

Neither dogs are microchipped. It's been on my to-do list for the past 4 years, lol.

The dogs NEED to run daily, or they will go insane. Sometimes we take them to an unused fenced in baseball field with the sign clearly reading "No Dogs Allowed".

Every now and then, I shut them in another room for no other reason then I want them out of my hair. I love them to death, but sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with them.

We got a bark collar for Ma'ii.

Equinox

It would probably be easier to list what I do RIGHT but here are a few things that I do wrong

- Begging. It's not active begging so much as it is standing at my feet, staring at me, and drooling puddles, but I allow it and feed him off my plate. For family dinners we usually ask him to stay in an adjacent room, but he occasionally ends up under the table one way or another.

- Barking. He barks when he's left alone in the car (at first) and I haven't really bothered to stop it. I SHOULD, because he comes along on grocery runs frequently... but I'm lazy.

- Hogging me from the cats. I don't let him do this with dogs because he gets pushy with dogs, but if he comes in between me and the cats I laugh and love on him. Every time I reach down to pet a cat he likes to stroll towards me tail wagging, pretending it was actually him that I wanted to greet.

- Bad recalls. Oh geez, this is a big one, especially because I actually care about recalls. I know I'm the problem here, but sometimes if I ask him to come and he doesn't, I just shrug it off.

- Jumping. He is definitely a jumper, and I don't mind. I feel bad when he jumps on others and apologize for it, but I usually warn them before hand (or ensure that he doesn't make contact). The difference between my jumper and every other jumper on Chaz, is that mine is an 80 lb dog xD It's not as fun when it's a big crazy dog.

- We're not supposed to say "no"? LOL It's every day vocabulary for us.

- He whines/barks/sasses and I give it right back.

- I know he's a snarky bully to other dogs, but sometimes I let him play anyway (only with dogs we know). I remove him if it escalates, but if I'm being honest I probably shouldn't give him the opportunity in the first place.

Toller_08

First of all, all of you people giving your dogs your pizza crusts are crazy! That's the best part of a good pizza!

Reading some of these lists I feel like I have quite a few rules compared to a lot of you, but perhaps even those might be considered 'wrong'.

I do allow Journey to jump on the couch uninvited, because they way she does it is hilarious. I don't, however, allow her to take a flying leap from a stand still onto my head when I'm sitting somewhere anymore... ouch.

I have double standards. The hairy dogs get away with far more than the Dobermans do, because they're less conspicuous and not pushy about stuff. I don't purposely 'spoil' Dance and Journ in comparison to Keira and Ripley, but it's largely dependent on their personalities/temperaments as to how many and what rules must be followed.

I am like the NILIF police. I like my dogs to focus and do something before allowing them to have food or enter/exit the house. Otherwise the Dobermans turn into shaking, screeching, bug-eyed messes of chaos and I can't stand it. So, NILIF just makes life easier.

I don't care that Dance jumps on people anymore. She's six now, it's never going to stop, and she's not heavy or rude about it, so who cares.

I am also the 'one command only' police. I accidentally double command my dogs sometimes, but I try really hard not to. My biggest one is "Down. I said lay down. Right now! All the way." But that's just in every day life. When we're training, they get one chance... and somehow they seem to know this. If they don't do what I asked, I have no problem making them do it. Not in a mean way, but I don't mind giving a reminder.

I raise my voice too much sometimes. Not totally yelling, but louder than I probably need to be. But sometimes if I'm frustrated, getting loud with them works. It's quick and easy and gets the result I want without much effort.

I say "no" and "ah-ah" and "knock it off" and "don't even think about it" an awful lot, too haha. And "are you kidding me?!". "Seriously?!". I love my dogs, but they do drive me nuts on occassion.

I do correct my dogs. I train positively and try to do everything in a positive manner, but there are times when a correction is, IMO, warranted and necessary. It's never harsh or over the top, but it still happens. And again, is largely dependent on the dog. Dance and Journey are pretty easy and I don't know that Journey's really been corrected for anything other than a "no", and Dance very rarely has been either.

My dogs get a good run once a week, on a day off. During the work week, while I don't do nothing with them, I don't tend to do a whole lot with my dogs either. I've tried making myself get up extra early to do more with them, but that never lasts, and by the end of the work day, I'm exhausted and only have a couple of hours before bed. But my dogs don't seem to care.

And this seems weird to a lot of people, but I ignore my dogs when I get home. If I had just one or two dogs, I probably wouldn't, but three or four super crazy excited dogs overwhelms me and just feels like chaos. So I ignore everyone for 10 minutes and then go say hello.

When I'm playing with and training Journey, and I don't have a tug, I let her jump all over and 'bite' me. Probably not a good thing, but she doesn't leave holes and wrestling rough is like her biggest reward. She quits when I tell her enough and only does this with me, and only when I initiate it.

And yes, I too allow my dogs to tug on their leashes. It's the one 'toy' I always have available when I'm out. I want to be able to use it for rewards and play.

My dogs are not restrained in the car. I wish they were, but it's not my car. When I get my own car, they will be, but right now, they can't be.

I give my dogs leftovers and table scraps all the time as long as it's nothing dangerous.

I don't switch foods slowly either. I used to, but I've since found that switching immediately actually works better for us.

I don't panic if my dogs are throwing up or have diarrhea or something. Lots of people seem to rush to the vet for every little thing, and I just don't. I figure there'll be other signs and I usually know why they're sick anyway (eating too many leaves and grass, empty stomach, ate too much of something, fed a new treat that didn't agree, etc.).

Very rarely do I leash walk my dogs. It's just not much fun for me or the dogs and by the time I get home, the dogs don't act like they even had any exercise at all.

I take my dogs to dog parks. Calgary has some pretty large parks, and we tend to stay away from really busy areas within those parks. But if I want to run my dogs off leash, a dog park really is the only place to do so without risking a fine. Although there is at least one place you can drive out of the city to and pay to use for a while alone.

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Add me to the "encouraging bad behavior" club. Sienna gets rewarded for begging and just generally being cute. Yes, pawing my boyfriend at the dinner table is cute LOL. And I've always encouraged her to jump on me...she's easier to reach that way. :D

I also encourage her to chase squirrels. Sometimes. Inconsistent, much? She does actually seem to understand when it's OK and when it isn't....it's even on cue: "ok go squirrel!"

Losech

Lets see here...

I let my Shiba bark bark bark because I don't give a crap.
I use a prong with Juneau.
My dogs don't walk in a perfect heel beside me.
I feed my dogs raw meat. I feed my dogs grains. I feed my dogs all kinds of leftovers.
My dogs eat before me.
I give my dogs food while I'm eating or at the table.
I don't (won't) spay or neuter. (My current three, unfortunately, are. But none were my decision.)
I let my Shiba off-leash on hikes and let him chase (certain) animals.
I let my Shiba wander around the front yard and lay on the porch, unsupervised.
I'm not a "purely positive re-enforcement" trainer.
I say "NO!" "STOP!" "HEY!" "ACK!" and other "aversive" words.
I hate clickers.
My dogs go out and in the door before I do.
I let Conker jump on me. I let Conker nip me.
I play ROUGH with my dogs.
I play tug. Vicious growly bitey tug. (I don't know who popularized this, but I tend to hear that "It's bad!" a lot.)
I let my dogs kill things.
I don't yearly or routinely vaccinate. Rabies every 3 years yes, but everything else, no.
I don't use flea or tick preventatives.
I self-dose deworming and heartworm prevention meds with livestock chemicals from the feedstore. (My vet about had a heart attack when she asked.)
I like slightly skinny, not fat or even "ideal", dogs. (Don't know how this is wrong, but people like to tell me I'm abusing them.)
I let my dogs sleep on the bed and couch. (In the trailer, where I sleep. Not the house where Mom will throw a fit.)
I let the dogs lick my dishes, pots, pans, utensils, and icecream cups.

There's more, I know it, but I can't remember them all.

BostonBanker

I don't do anything "wrong" and I know that because I have two happy, healthy, nice dogs.

Everything is wrong in someone's opinion. There are (shocking!) confessions in this list of confessions that make me grit my teeth; there are ones that I can't believe people consider confessions, because who doesn't feed their dogs people food?

Both of my dogs are altered; that is wrong to some. Both were altered relatively late; that is wrong to others. You couldn't pay me enough to put a shock collar on either of my dogs (well, some days with Gusto it might be a cheap deal ;)), but some people would say that I'm wrong for allowing him off-leash in places without that "security collar" on him. Gusto doesn't walk great on a leash; am I wrong for letting him pull a bit, or am I wrong if I put on a prong collar so he can't pull? I am wrong because I titer rather than vaccinate, or am I right?

My dogs get my pizza crust and lick out the peanut butter jar when it is nearly empty. If your dogs lick your plates, for the love of all that is holy, don't tell me that if I ever eat at your house. They bark at the door, Gusto steals my hairbrush Every Single Morning without fail, Meg glares at me when I'm in bed in the morning until I move so she can have the good pillow (and I always do).

They are fit and healthy and happy and we all live together cheerfully. They don't terrorize the neighbors. Like I said, I do everything right :D I refuse to feel guilty for the things I do or allow.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I don't do anything "wrong" and I know that because I have two happy, healthy, nice dogs.

Everything is wrong in someone's opinion. There are (shocking!) confessions in this list of confessions that make me grit my teeth; there are ones that I can't believe people consider confessions, because who doesn't feed their dogs people food?

Both of my dogs are altered; that is wrong to some. Both were altered relatively late; that is wrong to others. You couldn't pay me enough to put a shock collar on either of my dogs (well, some days with Gusto it might be a cheap deal ;)), but some people would say that I'm wrong for allowing him off-leash in places without that "security collar" on him. Gusto doesn't walk great on a leash; am I wrong for letting him pull a bit, or am I wrong if I put on a prong collar so he can't pull? I am wrong because I titer rather than vaccinate, or am I right?

My dogs get my pizza crust and lick out the peanut butter jar when it is nearly empty. If your dogs lick your plates, for the love of all that is holy, don't tell me that if I ever eat at your house. They bark at the door, Gusto steals my hairbrush Every Single Morning without fail, Meg glares at me when I'm in bed in the morning until I move so she can have the good pillow (and I always do).

They are fit and healthy and happy and we all live together cheerfully. They don't terrorize the neighbors. Like I said, I do everything right :D I refuse to feel guilty for the things I do or allow.
Yep, this.

though if you ask the neighbours, rosey terrorized them. She was always on our property, not my fault they don't like dogs.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
I do everything right, I am the perfect dog owner and breeder.

LOL JK.

I let my dogs beg, and jump on me, and some of them don't even have a solid stay, and some of them don't know heel, or even walk loosely on a leash...

I don't feed them Orijen or Raw, they eat Nutro Grain Free or Kirkland Grain Free.

I don't take them on walks- I let them run around in the yard and play with them, or take them to parks- but I don't go on walks really. LOL

I don't compete with them all the time- I am not really competitive and will only do sports that I like and only when I can afford it.

Sometimes they have to stay in crates for 6-8 hours on my most busy days.

They don't go to the vet regularly. We go in when we have a problem, but we don't do yearly checkups or anything.

I don't always brush their teeth.

You don't have to be perfect to have healthy, happy dogs.

JacksonsMom

:hail::hail::hail::hail:

Great post!

I think it's SO dependent on who you're talking to.

Like on dog forums, neutering/spaying early is sometimes looked at as 'bad'. But if I were to go into my local dog park and say I'm not fixing until my dog was over a year, I'd probably get looked at like some bad dog owner.

I think there's a lot of things more acceptable on dog forums, full of 'dog savvy' members then just regular dog owners (even those who care very deeply for their dogs and love them a lot). It's kind of funny actually.

But there's also things you learn to avoid discussing in different types of places. There's some things I'd never say on a yorkie forum that I'd easily say here, etc.

I mean, my dad loves his dogs, they are spoiled rotten, they live a great life, he will bring them to the vet when seriously necessary and when something is wrong. But he doesn't really worry about their food, or their shots, he doesn't even keep them on heartworm meds (and this is something I feel strongly about giving monthly). But ya know what, his dogs survive and they live good lives. He thought I was nuts for getting a dog a dental cleaning and putting him under. Whereas that's something I really am anal about keeping clean. I really research foods and it's somewhat of a 'hobby' and I probably know way too much, haha.

But yeah, it just depends who you're talking to. I am definitely 'above' a 'normal' dog owner, but by how much, I guess depends on who you're talking to.

DenoLo

Well, stuff like this happens and I just laugh and take a picture before throwing her off. She's also allowed to be on the table except when people are eating, and then she must resign herself to a kitchen chair lol. I do most of these confessions actually.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Hey, my intact males don't hump anything unless its a bitch in heat and they're allowed to. LMAO! Wesley really hasn't done any humping- he did as a puppy but I let the other dogs correct him for it and he hasn't done it since he was 10 or 11 weeks old.

I'm more likely to throw something at a dog for barking than actually work on the stop barking command.

I don't walk the dogs onleash like ever and in the winter I'm horrible about them getting exercise consistently cause cold.

I don't always pick up poop....

If they do something cute while begging for food they are given it.

I let them offleash in places they aren't legally allowed off leash

I always seem to let their nails get too long before trimming them

They go to the vet when I can't fudge their rabies number any longer on their dog park tags.

Pull on the leash, tug on the leash, just baaad on the leash

Screaming and barking? I find it funny and have way more fun things to work on than stopping it.

I think being greeted with a rebound, pogo stick jumping, landing in my arms, shoulders or back hysterical and encourage it completely. This results in people at the dog park sometimes being given the same treatment.

There are days the dogs don't eat because I forgot to defrost anything.

Just no house manners. At all. Whatsoever. Don't come to my house.

The 'Floor is Lava' is a funny game that totally should be encouraged and sleeping on the bay window, tables and crates is A Ok.

Members online

No members online now.