Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I forgot the e-collar. I do use the e-collar to proof a recall though the only dog I've used it on is Cricket.

I also use bark collars on occasion and now that we have a newborn baby living in our house upstairs I'm going to have to probably use them again.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 AM
The Monster.

I mix raw and kibble, sometimes within minutes of one another.

My dogs don't wear collars and are therefore without any ID 99% of the time. The Chihuahua isn't microchipped. They are walked off leash often.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Um like everything...

I feed raw and I'm probably not as anal about variety/balance as people would like to think... and I'm lazy about clean up. As in, I don't really do it. I mean, they eat in their crates, not dragging it around the house, but...yeah.

I love me a good prong collar, not even for administering corrections but for pulling on leash and generally giving the handler better physical control. I think the current obsession with head halters is largely BS except for in the case of specific behavior issues.

I "scold" my dogs around the house all the time, but they don't care. It's a lot of me moaning, "Noooooooooooo, why?!" or "Keeva, SERIOUSLY? GET OFF THE TABLE." Effective training ftw.

What's NILIF?

I don't think dogs "need" punishment/compulsion/force/aversives but sometimes I choose to use them in an educated manner. I acknowledge that this is a choice. My hands are not bound, but I still do it on occasion because for me and that particular dog, in that particular situation, the cost/benefit analysis works out.

On that note, I ****ing love bark collars. And, wearing a bark collar while she's kenneled at bitework is the only way Blossom will settle down enough to drink in between sessions. Go figure. *hugs bark collar*

Oh and the usual ones... my dogs jump up, pull on leash, and are generally rude and rowdy.

Oh yeah, and I got told off for saying I didn't care if my dogs don't let strangers in the house (unless I make introductions). Yeah, apparently that's "not normal" and requires a behaviorist. LMAO Guardy dogs ftw?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

LOL, I like to call these threads "What works for you, but might not work for others"...

My dogs beg, and get safe table scraps on a daily basis. I don't mind at all as long as they aren't jumping on me or stealing my food.

We don't go on walks... I don't think Recon has been on a leashed "walk" around the neighborhood, yet. Off leash or hikes are the way to go, once or twice a week.

We encourage zoomies in the house, and Sir has ripped our bedsheets from zooming across the bed... Whoops.

The dogs are almost never on a leash unless we're in a store or public... they run loose to our cars, into the house, follow us around doing yardwork...

I never slowly switch food... It's always one or the other.

I say no to them all the time.

We allow barking and screaming at us in the house if it's cute.

I leave dogs together unsupervised at night or when we leave. (not the pit bull)

I don't restrain my dogs in the car.

I leave dogs in the car when we go shopping/visiting whomever if the weather is safe.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Top Dog

At obed. drop in night I'm kneeling on the ground before we go in hugging my dog telling her she's a beautiful smoochy yes she is while all the other handlers are standing around looking serious. DON'T CODDLE YOUR DOG MAKE HER BE SRS BEANS.

I use food to lure while clicker training instead of shaping everything because Elsie psychs herself out sometimes.

I let her put her feet on my desk to see what's going on up here whenever she wants.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Behavior Nerd

I'm not trying to fix Kes' counter surfing behavior. It's too much hassle. >.<

The dogs get food scraps from the table (tho only passive begging is allowed).

When I get frustrated I yell.

I'm totally encouraging Snipe to look for mice in our yard and house ever since we saw one a few days ago.

The dogs don't get much formal training. I train things super randomly.

We rarely go on actual walks.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
My dogs don't wear collars and are therefore without any ID 99% of the time. The Chihuahua isn't microchipped. They are walked off leash often.
I'm not even sure I have tags for all of my dogs and neither of the pit bulls are microchipped.

Luckily it's required in schutzhund so my malinois are chipped.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Top Dog

Hudson has no manners.

He pulls on the leash, has a tendency to jump on people (especially me. And I encourage it! Sometimes I don't want to bend down).

I should wait for him to sit before taking the leash off, but I've got things to do!

The only commands he really knows are variations of a recall. Everything else is pretty 'meh' and I don't really work on it

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Big Dog

When (and before) I got my first dog: I'll never have a dog that jumps and/or puts it's paws up on people. Any such behavior will be nipped in the bud ASAP.
Now: "Ruthie, HUGS!!" *Ruthie jumps up at me*

Rule: A crate is not a punishment.
Now: "doG #*!$&@ Dreizehn, go to your crate!"
*Though, if we're sticking with the idea that a crate is a safe space than I guess it's keeping him safe from me.

Perceived Rule: A good owner walks their dogs multiple times a week.
Me: Takes my dogs out for a walk a couple times a year.

Rule: Begging is bad.
Me: "You can get some if you can catch it." *tosses treat*

Rule: Don't repeat commands.
Me: "Down. Lay down. Laaaaaay down. Don't make me ask you again! All the way, Dreizehn!"

I use a prong to walk my big dog.
I feed kibble but give raw for treats all of the time.

I'm sure there's more, lol

Dreizehn & Ruthless
Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Oh, yes. I don't restrain the dogs in the car, although I do make them ride in the backseat unless they're on a lap.

Cynder has ridden in the back of the pickup before. And I fully intend on teaching Future Puppy to ride back their comfortabley, encase we ever take him swimming and we don't want a 90 pound wet dog in the cab with us.

I also feed the dogs table scraps if they are laying down and being quiet. Although Cynder gets things without doing anything, because she's just good. Lol