Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-26-2013, 02:56 AM
Blackout

She's okay lol - I just made it a priority to take her out as much as possible to meet people, animals etc so that she didn't have any issues later on. I was pleasantly surprised that she is able to discern so well as we hardly had people over at the house. The rest she takes credit for as an intelligent girl and the strong instincts of her breed - and of course you for your great guidance and help.

Do Fila typical females get HUGE? The last I saw of one, she was around Kat's size and height...of course that could have changed since then.... IMO it would not be unmanageably large.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Is the kuvasz not with either of you anymore?

Why not get one of those Romy?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Top Dog

Get a Standard Poodle, and keep it clipped down. They are alert, protective, and intelligent.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Get a Standard Poodle, and keep it clipped down. They are alert, protective, and intelligent.
Having been charged by a standard poodle last week at work, when I rounded the corner too quickly, I agree. lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Is the kuvasz not with either of you anymore?

Why not get one of those Romy?
She is at the moment. She's great, but like I explained at the beginning of the thread she's only temporary, the fluffy white coat is hugely impractical for the part of the country I live in, and she's a chronic sock eater so has to be confined at night.

If they made kuvasz in a smooth/short coat I'd get one in a heartbeat. It's just that in the winter she never fully dried off in between going in and outside, and was constantly mud mud mud. I felt really bad for her. In a dryer area it wouldn't be an issue but I don't plan to move out of the state ever. Also, while they're super awesome they don't really have any interest in tracking and no prey drive.

This is what she looked like most of the winter. And we get so much rain in the spring and fall it isn't much better. Our soil is pure sand so it's not even as horrendous as it could be. A lot of the surrounding areas I'm looking at moving to have clay soil.

Filas have a lot of what kuvasz have (protection ability, dog friendliness) plus a smooth coat, strong tracking ability, and prey drive.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
What about a boxer? Gavroche can be downright terrifying, and nothing slips past him. They're a bit on the smaller side, especially if you get a female (which I would recommend, since males can be jerks with other dogs...like Gavroche). Only thing is I don't know if Gavroche's reactions are typical of boxers, since he's my first and I can't even say if he's purebred. He freaking LOVES kids, though, and will protect them with his life if he had to. He hates, hate, HATES water, but jumped in the pool multiple times when my nephew was "in danger" (not really in danger, but Gavroche though he was!). I need to get a video of him barking at church solicitors ones of these days, he's terrifying. And he has GRIP. I would not want to get on this dog's bag side. He's shown an inclination for scenting, too, and I was actually going to start a thread earlier on introducing nosework because he's such a sniffer lol.
I second looking into the Boxer. Coming from good lines, I think your chances of SSA are going to drop DRASTICALLY. Look into the European lines, as they have a "rougher" appearance than the American lines. The European lines resemble more of an American Bulldog and tend to be bigger. Have you looked into American Bulldogs at all? My inlaws have them, and they are definitely intimidating and have protective instincts. Their last American Bull would not let a new person out of their vehicle and would do a bark and hold on them. I haven't done a ton of research on them, but from what I've seen personally, they have been super great with kids and are good with my dogs as well.

As far as Boxers go, I have a female out of a BYB. She is typically good with dogs, but is slightly reactive towards large males. However, she wasn't always, and I blame it on the handful of attacks she has been involved in by large males. I was a little bit worried about SSA with her, which is why I got a male cattle dog; however, we are fostering a female right now and they get along super well. They had a pretty good tuft early on, but now can co-exist well. I will say that when a Boxer gets into a fight, they either scream and run away, or they mean it.

As far as protectiveness and watchfulness, they can be scary. Just last night, Harlow spotted deer in our backyard and charged the window barking. She has also "corrected" Josh when she was younger about getting too rough with me. She is vary wary when we are out and about, and is very watchful about her surroundings. She often checks behind us if we are on a walk, and though greets most people with the wiggle butt, we have met a few people she just doesn't trust. I feel a lot safer with her in the house, especially since Josh is now on third. Lol.

ETA: I've been looking into European line breeders for the future, and have a few I really like. If you are interested, PM me.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 AM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Have you looked into American Bulldogs at all? My inlaws have them, and they are definitely intimidating and have protective instincts.
They can be very DA, and there are a whole...lot...of shady AB breeders out there, and a whole lot of unstable dogs. Especially in the Johnson lines, IME.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Quote:
Having been charged by a standard poodle last week at work, when I rounded the corner too quickly, I agree. lol
That's what I was going to suggest. Wesley is a great alarm. We don't really need it, but hey.

ETA, in my experience they're a little wary of strangers you have over at first but warm up fast.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 04-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
The other advantage to a Poodle is that they generally aren't DA.

My friend's Poodles are very protective of her. Her youngest Poodle went off on someone that tried to approach my friend from behind, when the Poodle was still only about a year old. And she's a real friendly dog, she just is a little suspicious of unusual behavior. Which is typical for the breed. They notice things.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
The other advantage to a Poodle is that they generally aren't DA.

My friend's Poodles are very protective of her. Her youngest Poodle went off on someone that tried to approach my friend from behind, when the Poodle was still only about a year old. And she's a real friendly dog, she just is a little suspicious of unusual behavior. Which is typical for the breed. They notice things.
Wesley is very people-alert and picks up on everything. I'd walked with my sister to run into CVS late one night last summer, she went in and I was outside, and Wesley was just watching people come and go calmly. Then he saw a sketchy looking guy that was just loitering, and started growling really softly and was on high alert. The boys are also pretty sizable, height-wise, too.

Feistea, ze Blog