Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
What brand is your security system? Not your monitoring, but the actual system? If you don't know send me a pic of the keypad and I can look and see what the different kinds of sensors are available for that system that can help you.

If you would like.
It's at my brother's house. I'm not sure if it's a professionally installed one or if he put it in himself. He lives out in the woods with a really long driveway, and has cameras and things all along the driveway before you get to the house. The creeper knew so he parked his car far away and walked up the opposite, wooded side of the property.

There are definitely protection orders. One is a DVPO and the other is a criminal no contact order issued by a separate court.

I kind of ruled out rotties, dobermans, beaucerons, etc. because of the SSA potential. I thought boxers had that issue too, but if it's not a problem then they're a possibility.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I kind of ruled out rotties, dobermans, beaucerons, etc. because of the SSA potential. I thought boxers had that issue too, but if it's not a problem then they're a possibility.
Some boxers do have SSA, but the females don't as often as the males do. I have a feeling it comes down to lines, but I haven't really researched too deeply into it.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 AM
Top Dog

You can get a really good UPS that will give you some time, how long would you need, and you would want the monitor plugged into something else since they are high draw. And you would want what's called an on-line UPS, they draw off the battery all the time, so if the power went out it would not shut down and need to be re started it would just keep going until the battery was depleted. A 3500va would give roughly an hour, and you can also get extra betters packs that will give longer if needed.

If you are worried about him cutting the power and disabling you while you sleep there is also ways to make the monitored security system go into alarm and chirp to wake you up.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 AM
Taxiderpy

So far have the following breeds, if anyone has other ideas let me know!

Azawakh-

Pro
  • Suspicious of strangers
  • Alert barkers
  • LGD in a sighthound body
  • 35-45 lbs
  • Would get along great with the zois
  • Smooth coat

Con
  • No close breeders, I'd have to import from Europe or the other side of NA and wouldn't get to meet/evaluate the puppy beforehand
  • Have no interest in tracking

Fila

Pro
  • Suspicious of strangers
  • Alert barking
  • Guarding ability
  • Prey drive
  • Tracking drive
  • Am friends with a couple of breeders with awesome stable dogs within driving distance, already have a good relationship with them/they're willing to let me have a puppy, would be great breeder support/mentors
  • Smooth coat
  • Should still be alive when my daughter starts dating

Con
  • They can get HUGE
  • May turn out too sharp
  • Boarding could be problematic, one of the breeders offers boarding for families that get puppies from her though and she's not too far away.

Shikoku

Pro
  • Alert barkers
  • Guarding ability
  • Suspicious of strangers/one family dogs
  • 45-ish lbs
  • Biddable and dog friendly, unlike other Japanese spitz breeds
  • Strong prey drive (they are still worked on boar and deer)
  • Strong tracking ability
  • Utilitarian coat
  • There's a breeder within reasonable travel distance

Con
  • Super rare and hard to export, there's only 6 or so stud males in NA so they're freaking expensive.

Awesome cur/cur blend

Pro
Smooth coat
Alert barker
Suspicious of strangers
Guarding ability
Prey drive
Tracking drive
Reasonable size

Con
Surprisingly hard to find around here
Can be a little bit of a crapshoot for SSA/DA
Old 04-25-2013, 01:29 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
You can get a really good UPS that will give you some time, how long would you need, and you would want the monitor plugged into something else since they are high draw. And you would want what's called an on-line UPS, they draw off the battery all the time, so if the power went out it would not shut down and need to be re started it would just keep going until the battery was depleted. A 3500va would give roughly an hour, and you can also get extra betters packs that will give longer if needed.

If you are worried about him cutting the power and disabling you while you sleep there is also ways to make the monitored security system go into alarm and chirp to wake you up.
That's awesome! I always assumed that it would just bloop off or something. There are a lot of wind storms and trees around here too, so power outages are a regular occurrence anyway.

I definitely want to do some sort of security system. It's a good idea anyway, being a single mom especially. But hearing that four dogs is doable, well, I really really always wanted a dog to do nosework with. Super mega bonus if it's a watchdog and wants to help keep the kids safe.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 AM
Top Dog

Don page over in ID has Stephens stock mt curs. Larry sowa in OR has Tennessee treeing brindles (just mt curs turned into a separate breed). Randy Oller runs the leopard cur registry in CA. Also some BMCs in MT, UT, CA & maybe WA as cow dogs. If they are bred down from anything on Randy Wrights yard they'll hunt fine even though the parents are cow dogs.
ETA if you can get a pup at a good price, I would give the fila serious consideration. A lighter leggier gyp can really motor for a big heavy dog kind of like a dogo in that way.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Blackout

Tibetan Mastiff? LOL They aren't totally affordable nor are they super expensive. I don't think they are overly snarky (especially if you get a female) and are quite nocturnal (or so I've heard). I don't think they really like to track either.... Needless to mention their protective skills....
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 AM
Top Dog

Is a dog and a top notch security system feasible financially? As much as I think "puppy!" is way more fun, I think the best security system you can buy is a much smarter choice.

It won't take a year or three to grow up. It won't need vet care, regularly or emergency. It won't be unable to work because it is sick. It won't cause a bad accident if, in 7 years, your daughter's boyfriend tries to sneak over to visit at night. It won't be that fluke of the litter who has little guarding instinct.

I'd be putting in the security system first (professionally installed, not self installed), then thinking about a guarding dog as a possible back up.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 AM
Top Dog

Get an adult. We have bought several adult GSDs for work and some are ok with other dogs, some are not, some bark, some don't, etc. point is, we knew when we bought them.

Also, security system is awesome, we have one along with GSDs and the security system makes me feel good when we're not there, I don't want anything to happen to my dogs because they were trying to defend the house.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:21 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Is a dog and a top notch security system feasible financially? As much as I think "puppy!" is way more fun, I think the best security system you can buy is a much smarter choice.

It won't take a year or three to grow up. It won't need vet care, regularly or emergency. It won't be unable to work because it is sick. It won't cause a bad accident if, in 7 years, your daughter's boyfriend tries to sneak over to visit at night. It won't be that fluke of the litter who has little guarding instinct.

I'd be putting in the security system first (professionally installed, not self installed), then thinking about a guarding dog as a possible back up.
This x9000000 bajillion. Not saying you can't add a guardy 4th dog, but if I was truly worried about my safety, my first course of action would be a real security system. If you still want an alert dog that's fine, but I wouldn't get it as my main course of action.