Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-09-2013, 04:55 AM
Top Dog

Default Why do people think they are not a breeder if they breed their pets?

It's so frustrating! This morning on a facebook pet group (selling, studding, etc), someone was selling 5 week old Staffy cross pups. Several people commented that puppies shouldn't be leaving their mother that young because it wouldn't be good for them in any way, so she commented back that she wasn't a breeder, because she only breeds her own pets. She also said that 2 pups had been in their new home (yes home, she sold two 4 week old puppies to the same person ) for a week now and were doing fine. Sad thing is there was then a flood of people defending her, saying she was only doing whats best for her dog and her puppies. It amazed me how many people said it was OK, how many had bought 5 week old puppies, and how many had sold 5 week old puppies. She also said when she has her next litter she won't be advertising on these pages because of how stupid everyone is.

It's not the first time I've seen people say that on these pages, that they are not a breeder. Since when are you not a breeder if you breed your own pets? I wonder if people think puppy farms make a breeder only.

My Photos
Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 AM
& the Muttly Crew

For the same reason they are selling 4 week old puppies: some combination of ignorance, denial, and selfishness.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

I think for some people, "breeder" has connotations of being professional, commercial, or least having dog breeding as a large priority. They think they can excuse whatever **** poor practices they follow by saying, "Well I'm not a BREEDER, I just wanted to let Fluffy and Nubs have a few litters for me and my friends." The implication being that therefore they are not responsible with providing a "breeder's" level of care or knowledge, and people shouldn't be mad at them because they're not "breeders" so how should they know what to do? I think they feel it makes it acceptable to claim ignorance.

It's like the way people will say, "Well no, they're not health tested. What's early socialization? Oh, well, they're not SHOW DOGS, I just wanted my dogs to have babies, that stuff doesn't matter, I'm just doing this for fun!"

That's all I can say.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Agreed with both of the above. Also I think the ARists have been pretty successful at making "breeder" have a negative connotation/vilifying breeders of any kind, so Joe Blow breeding his dog to his neighbour's dog doesn't WANT to be labeled a "breeder" and will try to explain away why he doesn't fit into that category...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I don't consider where Backup came from a breeder, she's had one litter and does not actively have any other litters planned. When people ask me what breeder he came from I say she was a gal with a really nice bitch that she wanted to reproduce, she bred one litter and has no current plans to repeat breed, and then I share her name and city if they want more.

I don't know if it is right or wrong but I generally consider someone a breeder when they're actively producing repeated litters. I also don't see it as a good or bad label nor do I see it as having anything to do with the quality of what they're producing.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I don't consider where Backup came from a breeder, she's had one litter and does not actively have any other litters planned. When people ask me what breeder he came from I say she was a gal with a really nice bitch that she wanted to reproduce, she bred one litter and has no current plans to repeat breed, and then I share her name and city if they want more.

I don't know if it is right or wrong but I generally consider someone a breeder when they're actively producing repeated litters. I also don't see it as a good or bad label nor do I see it as having anything to do with the quality of what they're producing.
Yeah, I have difficulty referring to myself as a breeder when I have one litter planned, ever, and others with far, far more breed experience are calling the shots regarding the bloodlines to be crossed.

On the other hand, my input is part of the decision, I could veto the breeding but instead am in support of it, the puppies will be whelped and raised in my home where I will provide pre- and post-natal care, and I will be one of the people ultimately responsible for those puppies from birth until they pass away. So even if I never breed another litter, for the lifetime of the puppies produced by me I will refer to myself as a co-breeder simply because I fully accept the responsibility that label holds.

Just my viewpoint, though.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Silence, peasants.

On the subject of the two posts above, I agree. I think a breeder is someone consistently producing puppies, and knowing they will be breeding their dogs, versus someone breeding one litter every blue moon. One of the people I was looking at for a puppy, for example, decided to breed her bitch. She is hardly what I'd call a breeder, she has a litter every 4 years, if not more. To compare to the breeder futurepuppy is coming from, who usually has a litter or two a year.

I'm not sure where the line is, but I do think there is a difference. I don't see it as better or worse, just different.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
On the subject of the two posts above, I agree. I think a breeder is someone consistently producing puppies, and knowing they will be breeding their dogs, versus someone breeding one litter every blue moon. One of the people I was looking at for a puppy, for example, decided to breed her bitch. She is hardly what I'd call a breeder, she has a litter every 4 years, if not more. To compare to the breeder futurepuppy is coming from, who usually has a litter or two a year.
I'd call her an infrequent breeder, but still a breeder *shrug*

Old 04-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I'd call her an infrequent breeder, but still a breeder *shrug*
That's why I said it's not a clear line, it depends on opinion.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 04-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

If you breed, you are a breeder. Otherwise, what on earth would you call the person? You might be a one time breeder, or an infrequent breeder, but there isn't another word for putting 2 dogs together to produce a litter. I suppose you could call them a "puppy producer", but that's fairly inaccurate if they aren't producing many.

I'm an occasional breeder of Staffords, for instance. I've only bred 2 litters, and don't know when I might breed another (since I don't currently own an intact bitch). But I still bred them. I had help and advice, but I'm the one that decided to bring these pups into the world. I am responsible for them.

If I didn't breed them, who the heck did? Did the stork bring them? Pretty sure that's not the case. I was there. I saw no bird.