Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

I remember crossing the border at a Maine/ NB crossing on the motorcycles, and the handler of the Mal they had there warned us she'd bark as we left on the bikes, she HATES the sound of the bikes, but she was fine as she sniffed us and the bikes over when we were sitting there, and I talked to her (The handler not the dog)a bit, after she gave her an off command the change was amazing, she went into full body wag and I was allowed to "visit" her, the handler was great, she said she feels its important for people to not be afraid of the dogs, I mean when your on a bike your pretty vulnerable when being searched...

When we left she walked her away from us, put her in a down, but she still barked at us once the bikes fired up...
Old 04-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Top Dog

The school my husband works at has a permanent drug dog (that is to say, an officer works there daily, has an office, and the dog (a Mal) hangs out in the office until he needs to do work/training. He goes home with the officer. I have never seen him work, but I've heard he gets extra excited. I have met him and loved on him, and he's a sweet dog
Old 04-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Top Dog

Some are, some are not. Years ago, when I worked for a vet, we saw the police dogs for the city, and they were nice dogs on the whole. They used GSDs, and they were usually very easy to handle. For detection dogs, they used any dog with strong toy drive, and those were totally safe, they weren't trained for attack.

A lot of departments now are using the Malinois, and frequently very sharp ones. There are enough stories of them biting the wrong people that it seems that some of them are not safe. But it's certainly not true of every police dog.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Top Dog

I don't have much experience, but I have interacted with one of our county's K9 units when he was off duty... No harm whatsoever, except for the risk of a dislocated shoulder from playing tug with him. And he had a pretty fantastic out, that he even obeyed for me. *shrugs*

I fell in love with that dog. He was flashy.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 04-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Outting off a live bite or even a suit/sleeve bite is a world away for many dogs. It's also often treated differently with different trainers.

FWIW we don't care that Sloans out sucks on tugs, we ask for a give generally, as long as she will out off a sleeve. On the flip Backup has a great out on a tug but his sleeve fight is far stronger.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
And he had a pretty fantastic out, that he even obeyed for me. *shrugs*
That seems counterproductive.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post

But I think those dogs are trained in both detection and protection work. If I recall correctly, I saw one young female mal do a demo where she found a bag of marijuana before anyone could blink, then ran back and did some bitework in a flash. I imagine they're all trained like that.
Actually, MOST K9s are not dual purpose. (Dual purpose=trained for detection AND bitework.) Not to say that there aren't some that are dual purpose, but a lot of departments use single purpose dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I have watched lots of documentaries on these dogs & they seem really on edge ... Particularly the suspect apprehension & drug/narcotics "sniffer" dogs seem really on edge & unstable ... Are they safe to be in the public (I know in some cities police dogs to on patrols in the streets)?

Also why must they be "so" on edge? It doesn't seem healthy or safe? Also I have seen situations (both in training & real situations) where the dog has to be choked off a decoy or suspect.
Switch the venue...Have you been to an agility trial? Those dogs are amped up too. They are amped up because they get to go work. A lot of the "sniffer" dogs are single purpose, IE they ONLY search for drugs/scents. A dog being amped up to work isn't unsafe at all, so long as the dog is properly managed.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
That seems counterproductive.
He wasn't being told to apprehend me, he was there with his handler. I'm sure it is a lot different being "working" and not. As I said, he was off duty. The handler made it pretty clear that we would not be able to approach his squad SUV while he was on duty and interact with him the same way.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I have watched lots of documentaries on these dogs & they seem really on edge ... Particularly the suspect apprehension & drug/narcotics "sniffer" dogs seem really on edge & unstable ... Are they safe to be in the public (I know in some cities police dogs to on patrols in the streets)?
Some are and some aren't. We had a pretty iffy k9 here for awhile that was used in a demo at a local charity dog walk. Pretty sure most people left the demo feeling like k9s were not safe. The other dog they had at the time was awesome though, very safe and regularly went to schools for educational talks. That has been my experience locally more than not, most of the dogs I've personally seen were sound and IMO safe.

I know some places require k9s to be muzzled when out in public, although I think it's probably due to liability more than they believe the dogs are all unsafe.

There's also stories like this...

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...gbitesxml.html
Old 04-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I know more dual purpose dogs than I do single purpose. Maybe it just depends on the area? I know of one dog that was at first tracking/apprehension only. They did eventually train him to do drug detection.

The other dog is a detection dog. He was trained to do both live and HR finds and search for drugs. I think his alert was different depending. I only met him once.

Though, most k9's I know are working at jails and prisons. They're dual purpose because their handlers aren't willing to work inside these places without a dog who WILL bite in case things get ugly in a cell.