C-BARQ behavior assessment

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Okay, I did Backup and shocking he's in the 93% with double red flags in energy, also in hyperactivity. :p

I was happy to see he has red flags in Attachment and Excitability for all breeds but not his breed, those are ideal traits for the breed. I was surprised his mild Dog Aggression was excused, maybe breed and being an intact male? Also his extreme car guarding was excused and caused no red flags. Interesting.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I did Arnold and he's needy and obsessively grooms his paws, plus it shows his energy level is too low. LOL

Shamoo has extremely low trainability, poor old stubborn cow, and chasing and separation issues.

Interesting evaluation, thanks for linking it. :)

SpringerLover

I did this a while ago for both of my dogs and I'm not allowed to reassess! So for funsies I did Dixie, poor girl! With that score nobody would ever want her! She got two red flags for trainability.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I did this a while ago for both of my dogs and I'm not allowed to reassess! So for funsies I did Dixie, poor girl! With that score nobody would ever want her! She got two red flags for trainability.
I had apparently done it before with Juno too, I just reentered her as a new dog to do it again lol.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
There was no English Shepherd option so I put Quinn as an Aussie.

She got a gold star in everything except she got double red flags in Dog-directed aggression/fear (she's really quite manageable, poor girl LOL) and begging (who cares!).

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I think what's most interesting is that it shows there's a lot more complexity to behaviour than just answering some kind of survey and "yes/no" or even ranking on a scale.
Like just on a simple level, the red flag for Auggie eating poop - he only does it when it's cold outside for 2, maybe 3 months. It's a behaviour that drives me crazy, and he is all sad when I yell at him to leave the poop alone, get inside, and immediately march him to the bathroom to brush him teeth and wash his face. But it's for a few months, then it completely goes away when it's warm again, until it reappears next December. For 9-10 months of the year it's no issue; so for 2-3 months it's worthy of a "red flag?" I suppose for some people it might be. For me, meh. I took him to the vet when he started doing it to make sure nothing was physically wrong with him, he was a-okay, just being obnoxious, and we got on with our lives, little Poop Face and me.

I think when you get into stuff like aggression/fear, dog or human, it becomes way way WAY too complicated to just boil down to a single page of survey questions.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I found it pretty spot on, I didn't however feel some of the red flags were an issue for me but I definitely see them as issues for the general population.

While I think Backup is awesome the common dog home would hate him. Backups activity and excitability? Outside of a working/sporting home? Ain't nobody got time for that. :p

DJEtzel

Recon got red flags in begging and pulling on the leash. Admittedly, two of his worst problems with the least bit of training. He also got red flags for familiar dog aggression and attachment/attention seeking.

He got double red flags in staring and grooming others. lol

I had already assessed Frag some time ago apparently, and he got all gold stars, no reds... Which is hard to believe, so I am testing him again currently.

eta; Frag got 3 red flags the second go-round in attachment/attention seeking, energy, and begging.

Last edited:

Aleron

According to this test, I'm extremely tolerant of bad behavior.

Savvy got red flags or double red flags in just about everything. i told him it was just because there was no other PyrSheps to compare him to, so he was compared to "all other dogs" and he's definitely not like all other dogs ;)

He got red flags for...

Stranger directed aggression/fear...I think because he's guardy and doesn't always like to be handled by strangers.

Chasing...well yeah, he even has a title for that :rofl1:

Touch sensitivity... I'm not sure why? I don't consider him to be all that touch sensitive.

Escaping/roaming...because he'll jumps fences in some situations.

Grooming...makes him sad.

And double red flags...

Excitability... 94%! Well that IS kind of why I wanted a PyrShep!

Attachment/Attention Seeking ... 97%! Yep he needs to be touched a lot and included in everything.

Energy... 93% Again...PyrShep LOL

Did he and Mia tie? I think they need a special pop up that comes up and says "This dog is trouble!" when you get so many red flags.

Jagger OTOH got mostly gold stars because he is a very good boy.

However he got red flags in...

Attachment/Attention Seeking...only one compared to other Belgians but two compared to all breeds. Jagger is 90% needy but I could have told you that ;)

Separation related problems for both Belgians and all breeds, although higher percentage compared to all breeds. Again...he's very needy. He doesn't have SA but he does yell a lot when we leave with out him.

Excitability... double red flags. He's just a happy dog who likes to yell and bounce around a lot. Maybe grab stuff and run around a bit. That's all, he's very happy! And very loud!

Begging...yep

Barking - double red flags compared to other Belgians and compared to all breeds. He scored a 4 LOL Did I mention Jagger is very loud!

This test seems to select for some sort of golden middle of dog behavior. I think they are evaluating dogs against what the average pet owner wants/needs rather. Cause it seems some of these red flags are sort of desirable in sport dogs ;)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh yay! Mia is not the only 'really bad dog'. Lol!

I think my problem is that things like energy and excitability are labelled as bad things. Mia is a very very good dog but the test doesn't reflect that at all. I feel like its very geared to favor an average temperament type dog that is mild and friendly wih everyone. My problem is that's not what I enjoy owning...

Flyinsbt

I think my problem is that things like energy and excitability are labelled as bad things. Mia is a very very good dog but the test doesn't reflect that at all. I feel like its very geared to favor an average temperament type dog that is mild and friendly wih everyone. My problem is that's not what I enjoy owning...
Well, you have to remember that a lot of these traits are considered to be up to the individual. For instance, what they say about the energy/excitability scale is this:
"Red flags for excitability and energy are a concern if you are finding the dog's behavior to be a serious source of irritation. The nuisance value of hyper-excitability tends to arise from its association with annoying behavior, such as excessive barking or jumping up on people, both of which are readily modified by training. As with people, a dog’s energy is strongly influenced by its age, and many owners seem to tolerate or even enjoy very high or very low energy dogs without much problem. However, the ability to tolerate a dog's particular energy level is largely a matter of individual preference."

Staffords scored a bit higher than other dogs in excitability and energy, and mine scored a bit higher than average Staffords. I think of mine as pretty rowdy, but the fact is that they settle really well in the house, so I think their numbers are accurate.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I think my problem is that things like energy and excitability are labelled as bad things.
Yeah, I think there's a minor flaw in the "it's outside our "normal" range - red flag it!" process. I think a few dogs here got red flags for having low energy levels too? I know Pepper got one. I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing either. I mean, yes, I would rather she be a bit more... uh... fun. But the fact that her quest in life is to assign all her skill points to Cuddling isn't BAD. It's just Pepper.

Aleron

LOL Savvy and Mia can start a bad dog club!

Yeah Savvy isn't really that bad of a dog either. I don't think someone wanting and easy, lay around 24/7, do nothing dog would like him at all. But I take him all over, trial him, etc and he's tries very hard to be a good boy. Yes sometimes his hyper-crazy-wildness gets the better of him but he's still young too. But like I said, some of their red flag things are reasons I wanted a PyrShep. And somethings...like a love of chasing I sort select for and encourage in my dogs.

Well, you have to remember that a lot of these traits are considered to be up to the individual. For instance, what they say about the energy/excitability scale is this:
"Red flags for excitability and energy are a concern if you are finding the dog's behavior to be a serious source of irritation. "
When I read that it made me laugh and laugh. :rofl1:

Not only do they think Savvy sounds like trouble...they think he sounds pretty annoying too!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Yeah, I think there's a minor flaw in the "it's outside our "normal" range - red flag it!" process. I think a few dogs here got red flags for having low energy levels too? I know Pepper got one. I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing either. I mean, yes, I would rather she be a bit more... uh... fun. But the fact that her quest in life is to assign all her skill points to Cuddling isn't BAD. It's just Pepper.
Enzo got one. She's not a hyperactive needs a five mile a day run lab. She's happy to just lay around and sunbathe, keep up with the puppy, and chill on the sofa. If we're not doing anything, she's not doing anything, which most people would find brilliant. I like it, she's happy, it's not really a "red flag" for us, except if it was something new and different. And the vet says she's fine, she's just being her, so meh.

Flyinsbt

When I read that it made me laugh and laugh. :rofl1:

Not only do they think Savvy sounds like trouble...they think he sounds pretty annoying too!
Well the point is, it's if you find it irritating. If you don't find it irritating, it's not a concern. Like Tess and the chasing. She's 95% for chasing, and that's true. Maybe even artificially low, I might have not answered a question right, because Tess will chase any critter that isn't human or dog. So the double red flags are true, but the behavior isn't an issue because it doesn't really bother me, and I can manage it.

BostonBanker

I think a few dogs here got red flags for having low energy levels too? I know Pepper got one. I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing either. I mean, yes, I would rather she be a bit more... uh... fun. But the fact that her quest in life is to assign all her skill points to Cuddling isn't BAD. It's just Pepper.
Meg got it as well. Mind you, the dog can do six agility runs in a day, climb a mountain, or swim and hike for hours. She can also lay around the house for six days in a row if you are feeling lazy or sick. Pretty darn ideal, as far as I'm concerned!

Aleron

Well the point is, it's if you find it irritating. If you don't find it irritating, it's not a concern. Like Tess and the chasing. She's 95% for chasing, and that's true. Maybe even artificially low, I might have not answered a question right, because Tess will chase any critter that isn't human or dog. So the double red flags are true, but the behavior isn't an issue because it doesn't really bother me, and I can manage it.
I know what the point is but still when I first read it, it made me laugh. Probably more than it should :)

Members online