Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
I like the second ones better
Hate to disappoint you lol, but I went with the first. No stitching to eventually rot out, and I decided I really did like the center ring better. LMAO
Old 04-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Professional Nerd

We got ours! Here is Stan in his "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Not a Giant Fox" collar. I went with the center O Ring, but you really can't tell from this pic.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Top Dog

I hate you all, I seriously hate you all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
We got ours! Here is Stan in his "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Not a Giant Fox" collar. I went with the center O Ring, but you really can't tell from this pic.

Is that the contrast on your photo or not !? Yeah, might need some of these....I hate you all. (J/K )

EDIT: Okay, now I do really hate you all...
Quote:
Ordering from Gun Dog Supply

We now accept PAYPAL.
In how many way can one say "going broke"?

Last edited by ~WelshStump~; 04-07-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I just bought the gundog supply tufflex collar in bright green for miss Cricket. Going to be her get dirty swimming collar. Had to get it in 3/4" wide though because the 1" didn't come small enough to fit her neck size.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 04-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
I hate you all, I seriously hate you all...

Is that the contrast on your photo or not !? Yeah, might need some of these....I hate you all. (J/K )

EDIT: Okay, now I do really hate you all...

In how many way can one say "going broke"?

No, it really is that florescent orange!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:17 PM
orange iguanas.

Yeah these collars are BRIGHT lol I'm certainly not going to lose sight of Juno in her neon green.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-10-2014, 04:07 AM
Big Dog

My friend has found this thread and she has some questions about martingale collars. She knows already that it is easier to put on your dog than an ordinary collar and the dog cannot pull her/his head out of it. She would like to know if there are other differences compared to an ordinary collar.

She would like to know how does it affect on a dog that pulls. How does that dog react to it? Does s/he stop walking? My friend knows that there are ways to teach the dog not to pull but her questions relates to how does the martingale collar work. My friend uses usually harnesses on Lotta but she is thinking if she could/should buy also a martingale to Lotta.

My friend and Asperger
Lotta is funny and playful <<--read more
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Higbread Dingbat

I use a martingale with Rigby 100% of the time.
She's got a thick neck and a pointy head, so she can slip out of any regular collar. Which she only does in panic, such as when a truck is coming down the road - so it's nice to have that knowledge that she's still attached to me even when scared.
I haven't found that it does much for pulling. But then again, Rigby doesn't pull much anyways.

However, I'm not sure I would recommend a martingale for a brachycephalic breed such as the CKCS.The breed already tends to have a higher predisposition to airway problems, pulling on a martingale may accentuate that.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

I'm with ozfozz, I would use a martingale on a CKCS, I dont walk my Shih Tzu on a collar for the same reasons, her collars are simply to hang tags from and look pretty, lol.

As for functioning, they do not stop pulling almost immediately like a head collar or prong collar does, there needs to be a fair amount of training for them to not pull with one. I would worry about fit on a CKCS as well, as they have large heads and smaller necks, I have this problem with my mastiff/rotty mix, so I have to use martingale so with buckles on them in order for them to function properly.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:14 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

A martingale can be used as a training collar, but it's really not (compared to a prong, pinch, or choke.) A properly fitted martingale will tighten snugly around the dog's neck, which is what prevents the backing out - but it's not really snug enough to be any kind of aversive, except perhaps for very sensitive dogs. An improperly fitted martingale could perhaps be tightened down too far and act as a choke when tightened, but that's not the intent of them.

I would not say they are easier to put on as opposed to a regular buckle collar because a martingale has to slide over the head, while a buckle just snaps on around the neck. Some dogs are not big fans of things going over their heads.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog