Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Future Puppy will be crated at first, then as he matures and I trust him to not pee/poop/eat something/wake me up in the middle of the night he can start staying in the bedroom with me. (Crate is in the bedroom, if that makes a difference.) That is what I did with Chloe, and although she wasn't a chew-happy retriever puppy, it worked really well for her. I think by the time she was 6 or so months old she was left loose in my room at night.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Little dog, big voice

We crated Cali for the first week or so, we had a cat crate (since she was two and a half pounds, it was the perfect size) so I would just put it on the corner of my bed. Not a good idea... there were times when I'd wake up to find it knocked over with the door facing the floor. She never even made a peep surprisingly. I ended up feeling so bad that I just broke down and let her sleep with me. She did poop on my bed once but I think she immediately realized that not only did she poop on my bed, but she pooped on her bed. It didn't happen again and she's been rotating between my bed and my mom's ever since.

I have to say, it's a nice feeling to wake up with five pounds of adorable cuddled beside you under the blankets. The only con, she knows exactly when I'm up and usually jumps right up, licks my face and demands that I take her to the bathroom, but she settles down when I bring her back up.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

Freedom is always earned. Chester doesn't need a crate at all anymore, but he has major crate anxiety and he's also bombproof house/chewing trained. He was crated at night and when I was gone for the first few years, then slowly let out.

Same with Jag.