Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Do you crate new dogs/puppies overnight?

The other thread that LostandConfused made got me wondering whether those of you who let dogs loose at night started that right away, or whether it was earned?

Right now we are crating Siri, but eventually I plan on letting her loose to sleep where she wants. She'll stay in an xpen/playpen style setup when we go to work, probably forever.

For those who started letting puppies sleep loose right away, how did that affect your housetraining?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Oops, double posted thread

Mod, plz delete?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Love My Mutt <3

We've never had a crate. Rosey basically went from a stray to having free roam in the house. She took up house training right away, I don't think it affected her. I mean, it really wasn't any different of a process... we'd take her out every so often to empty outside, them bring her in and repeat. Then at bed time she slept for 8 hours and then went out as soon as somebody woke up.

She has always thought that pottying in the house is HORRIBLE, to the point where if we didn't realize she had an accident (had the runs) and let her out, she'd refuse to look at us or come back in. So that probably helped.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Resident fainting goat

Merlin is crated at night. Sleeping out and about is very much earned privilege he is just beginning to earn.

I am JUST starting to allow him more freedom at bedtime and wandering around because he is now alerting to go outside and HOLDING IT when inside (instead of it just being a management thing of me taking him out every hour or so)

I would never be able to sleep with an unhousetained puppy on the bed. From house traning accidents to waking up to a puppy finding something to chew on in my bedroom

Right now after our nightly walk he is allowed to do what he wants. Oddly enough.. he mostly puts himself to bed in his crate

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Top Dog

Well, the last two "foster" dogs I've had were most definitely crated, for varying reasons... I can't even imagine the destruction that would have been Ruca without a crate. I also didn't trust Reba's "housetraining" enough to leave her loose for more than a few minutes before lights out.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

My new puppies are crated typically for the first night. After that it depends on the dog or puppy.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Will Creep For Sheep

My dogs sleep in crates, so basically with new puppies I start with an x-pen with a crate in it and pee pads just in case- I sleep really heavy and would miss it if a puppy were to cry to go outside. Then I transition them to a crate and let them have a small area to roam around, and that area gets gradually bigger assuming they haven't had any accidents.

It has worked beautifully for me so far- helps me not kill puppies immediately, lol

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Big Dog

I have always started puppies out in an exercise pen with a crate. The door of the crate is open and I train them to a pellet box much like a cat box. It seems to make it a lot easier to switch them to going outside rather than puppy pads or newspaper. In the wintertime I do not try and take them outside at night as it is just too cold and snowy and as soon as they are going all night without an accident, I start to crate them overnight. They do go outside during the day and get treats when they go and lots of praise.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Sport Model Pug

I lasted all of half a night with Izzie in a crate. Since then she's slept in bed with me, first on my chest as a wee pup and then moving to under the covers along my leg.

For her eye surgery though she had to sleep crated and she had no problems. I never formally crate trained her, she just is a good girl.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

I start puppies with crates and then they earn the freedom to sleep out! It's worked great for me, I can't remember the last time Cara was in a crate with the door closed.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet