Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Show Dog

I always crate at first. Even kittens I'm very much not a cat person, so when the kittens came into the house, they were treated like puppies. Couldn't supervise them? Into a crate they went.

Bear was already an adult when I brought him home. I honestly don't remember exactly how long it took before he was sleeping in the bed, but I think it was fairly quick.

Pig had horrible diarrhea for the first few nights, so I ended up keeping her in a plastic carrier in an attempt to contain the mess. I slept on the couch downstairs so that we'd be very close to the door and the sink. How I ended up keeping the little bug I do not know.

So she spent about a week crated next to the couch, then moved upstairs to a crate in my room. It didn't take long for her to transition to the bed. She was still very young, maybe four months? She's very much a cuddler, so I didn't have to worry about her leaving the bed and getting into trouble.

Both dogs could still be crated overnight without freaking out, which is all I really care about.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Top Dog

I think Diesel was probably the only dog I ever brought home and didn't crate, but his original owners never really kennel trained him so for our sanity he slept with us from day one, and we worked on the kennel over the last year. Now I am happy to say that he will go into them if requested, he doesn't LOVE it but he has resigned himself to the fact that he might as well just go in and be quiet, lol.