Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Do you crate new dogs/puppies overnight?

The other thread that LostandConfused made got me wondering whether those of you who let dogs loose at night started that right away, or whether it was earned?

Right now we are crating Siri, but eventually I plan on letting her loose to sleep where she wants. She'll stay in an xpen/playpen style setup when we go to work, probably forever.

For those who started letting puppies sleep loose right away, how did that affect your housetraining?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

Yoshi was 4 months when I got her so she was an older puppy. I don't know if that counts.

The first night I had her sleep in her crate but it was right next to my bed I could reach over to her at any time.

On the second night she didn't want to go in the crate. She wanted to cuddle and sleep with me. During the night she somehow got her paw stuck in the wire and started screaming.

She's been out during the night since then.

I did keep my door closed so whatever destructive things she did while I slept was kept in my room. I was able to keep most things out of her reach though so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Gavroche was loose at night from day one. But that's sort of relative. He slept in bed under the blankets and didn't move from day one lol. He was also the only dog in the household at the time, and an adult dog.

Logan was crated overnight for...a while. Several months. He was a year old, and still a HUGE chewer. Once I could trust him to not chew absolutely everything in sight (like my diploma and my car keys), he was granted free access at night.

Both dogs are still confined to my room at night, and probably always will be, because I like to sleep with the door closed.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM
such sights to show you

Yes, yes I do. When/if they get their freedom, I just play it by ear based on their behavior and trustworthiness.

Top Dog

The first night I had Milo, he was in a little cat travel crate on my floor with a blanket in there...he was so cute and quiet while I got ready for bed and wrote about him in my journal. When I sat up to turn the light off, he was just lying there with his head on his paws, looking at me.

I got up, took him out, and pulled him into bed with me. He slept against my head. I took him out at 5am to potty, but he just laid down in the grass.

He was housebroken in about 3-4 days if we were careful about letting him out right away and keeping a schedule. (by housebroken, I mean he would go to the door in order to go potty and wait until he was outside, within reason).

ETA: he would NOT have been allowed loose overnight if he was able to jump off my bed he was stuck up there until he was probably 6 months old without an ottoman to jump on (which I pushed away at bedtime).

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
I'm All Ears

Well Summer was 4 when I got her and had been sleeping in her crate every night. I am a sucker though and pretty soon after I got her, she started sleeping on the bed.

Mia 'earned' getting to sleep on the bed after over 2 weeks of her screaming all night long. All. night. long. I was in an apartment and was sure my neighbors would be complaining. I got so fed up with it that I just said '**** it' and put her on the bed. Lo and behold, she actually slept.

Of course the downside is that nowadays she still cries if I make her sleep anywhere other than the bed. She also cries if I banish Summer from the bed for a night. I swear the two of them are too dependent on each other sometimes. So it sucks if they get sick.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Twin 2

Traveler and Didgie started sleeping in bed with me right off the bat during the night, they weren't ever crated at night.

But, I do have really strict stay on the bed rules and am a really light sleeper so I wake up at any shuffling around and was able to take them out. I've never had an issue with them, no peeing in the bed or getting up and peeing. But again, light sleeper.

I think if you want her to just find a place to sleep you would be better crating.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Crazy Dog!

Mine always, always sleep in a crate first. My 3 year old still doesn't have full night time privileges.

Rumor can sleep loose and has been allowed to since she was maybe two. I think it's pretty important that they learn to sleep in a crate because I sometimes travel with friends to dog shows and we will all crate the dogs overnight in the hotel with us.

I don't like to be woken up at night, so part of getting to sleep loose includes staying off the bed and settling down. If I hear a lot of up and down from the dog I will get up and put them in the crate. Zen is a bad pacer which is why he doesn't sleep loose very often. He also thinks that 6 am is a great time to get up every day, no matter how late we were up the night before.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Kim, Mira, and Cookie all started off crated at night and eventually earned the right to be free at night. Webster has slept loose at night pretty much since the beginning because he panicked in a crate at first. However he was a year old and already pretty much housetrained.

When Cookie broke her leg I was incredibly grateful for that foundation of sleeping in a crate at night because she had to for two months. She was fussy as first due to all the med and discomfort but I think it would have been much worse if it was a foreign concept.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Top Dog

I've never not raised a dog, sleeping in their crate over night. I had a CRAZY SA foster Weim for a few weeks who slept in bed with us frequently right away, because she would break teeth/make her nose bleed and have explosive diarhea in the crate. The bed worked like a charm, but didn't help her SA any...

Sir was crated for the first few months at night and then we realized that he really didn't need to be (he was an adult) and could sleep in bed more happily with us.

Frag was crated at night until he was probably around a year old I'd say... Then he was very reliable out of the crate all of the time (that the garbage was picked up!)

Recon is still crated and has been since we got him, but he's been earning more and more freedom out of the crate for longer periods of time, it's usually just easier to crate him even though he doesn't need to be crated while we shower, pick up the yard, etc. because I can't leave Sir unsupervised with anyone and he usually gets free roam of the house during the day. :P

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F
General Patton Vom Winter Storm