Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Do you crosspost urgent dogs on FB?
Yes 2 4.00%
No 19 38.00%
Sometimes 22 44.00%
I'm hungry, but it's too late to eat anything... 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM
such sights to show you

Occasionally I will share/crosspost lost dogs if it is an area where I know enough people to reasonably be helpful. But not every one I come across. ETA: And not generally urgent rescues.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

Local dogs I do. why not? Fairly rare that its going to be a 24 hr or less dog though. There was a we are full day recently though.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 AM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
What about the saving of Katie was wrong?
I'm talking about the fact that everyone disappears. All these people who share and crosspost and beg for mercy, don't care anymore once the dog is "out." No one cared to help her find a forever home because there was no longer a needle hovering over her head. Most people share these dogs out of a sense of urgency rather than actually caring about the dogs. Obviously, you are different because I'm sure you would continue to share the dog after s/he was in a foster home in hopes that s/he would get a forever home. I know that you care about the dogs deeply. I share dogs that I care deeply about, as well. If there is a SBT in a shelter, I share it either on my page or on the SBTCA's page (or both). Two of the dogs I shared (others shared them, as well) were pulled by SBTCA and one of them has a loving forever home. That feels good. I didn't do it out of a sense of "OMG THIS DOG IS GOING TO DIE IF I DON'T SHARE IS WITH EVERYONE!1!!!" I did it because I care about the dogs. IMO, that is what's important. Making sure that you are sharing the right dogs for the right reasons.

Airn said it so much better than I did...
Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Actually my goal with sharing is to get them out. The goal of that step is expanding that chance of survival. Once out of the shelter or off death row the mission is not over but that first step is. Not everyone knows where that dog went but to say they were useless is incorrect. The mutual friend who pointed Shamoo out off CL, as a last ditch effort, has no idea where she went but she assisted in saving her life. Not all parts are big but all matter in the grand scheme. Not all stories end the way we want but it shouldn't jade those from trying forever.

The point is just because you choose not to assist in the same way doesn't mean those who do are doing anything wrong, they're just trying the only way they know how.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Top Dog

I recently have shared some dogs on FB. One of them is a very special dog with a lot of history in the APBT world(mainly with a group of breeders). This dog has a place to go. The other one I shared is a 12 year old APBT that looks like hell and has a genetic condition which will cause him to deteriorate fairly quickly from what I've heard and read. I am trying to figure out how I can foster him, because he is dog aggressive and a senior. If he could ignore the others so he could be in an exercise pen it'd be awesome but I have my doubts. He is only aggressive with other males which will make it easier. I am trying to figure out how I can make it work at my house without it affecting Judge too much.

I don't share often but the ones I do share, I feel are very worth sharing. Either they are local to me or I know someone that has access to them, normally.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I've cross posted very, very few dogs on my FB. I'll cross post only if the particular dog speaks to me AND is local... since I'd always be willing to pull a local dog to be transported.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

the urgent dogs you mention? No, and I don't usually pay a lot of attention to those posts. I usually wind up choosing not to display posts from people who share a lot of those. I have just a few FB friends that I enjoy enough to put up with that.

I share a very occasional dog which I find particularly appealing, for whatever reason. ie; the dog I posted a little while back which got returned to the shelter for opening the refrigerator, removing a bottle of apple cider, and opening that. I heard that story from a guy who works at the shelter, who I've known on the internet for years, so if he said the dog was a great prospect, I trusted him. Clearly, the dog would do well in the kind of home likely to be a FB friend of mine, or friend of a friend; someone who likes to train dogs. So, I shared.

Then I got asked by a coworker if I was going to get that dog. Uh... no. I shared because I want someone else to get the dog.

That dog wasn't an "urgent" though, the shelter has no intention of putting her down, they just wanted to find her the right home. The "urgent" thing is creepy.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Actually my goal with sharing is to get them out. The goal of that step is expanding that chance of survival. Once out of the shelter or off death row the mission is not over but that first step is. Not everyone knows where that dog went but to say they were useless is incorrect. The mutual friend who pointed Shamoo out off CL, as a last ditch effort, has no idea where she went but she assisted in saving her life. Not all parts are big but all matter in the grand scheme. Not all stories end the way we want but it shouldn't jade those from trying forever.

The point is just because you choose not to assist in the same way doesn't mean those who do are doing anything wrong, they're just trying the only way they know how.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Top Dog

Not really. My friends list is made up of almost all sighthound people. I cross post sighthound related rescues and the occasional one that catches my eye. There are times when I feel bad for always ignoring the crossposting pleas but in all honesty the are not a whole lot of people on my list who are going to pass them on or do anything about them.
If it's a specific situation where I know someone in the area I may pass it along to them to see if they know of anyone local who can help.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Nope.
The vast majority are guilt trippy, vague and impossible causes with unknown histories from high intake shelters..somewhere. and of course it's all rushed and the dog needs to be out in like 24 minutes.

It's like the effect of putting a "go green! recycle" sticker on your car. Feels good, helping out, spreading awareness..but what are you doing really?

These dogs are crossposted 100 times by the same group of people, to each other, all over facebook.

Incredibly rarely I will crosspost a dog in rescue in a foster home with some decent pictures, a good character bio, known history/temperament who just needs some exposure and has TIME.

but the run of the mill "EMERGENCY NEEDS OUT NOW!" crossposts.. nope.
Pretty much this for me, too. I do crosspost lost & founds, so much that I actually made a FB page just for that locally since I felt like I was spamming my own newsfeed. (https://www.facebook.com/SanFernandoValleyLostFoundPets for anyone in the area) The last minute shelter dogs, though, there isn't much I or my friends/family can do for them.

I also think that for shelter pets in general, it's not sending a good message. The message I want 'general pet people' to see is "shelter dogs are great!" not "the shelter is depressing". I like the Shelter Pet Project's philosophy better than the guilt trip/handwringing.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking