Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Do you crosspost urgent dogs on FB?
Yes 2 4.00%
No 19 38.00%
Sometimes 22 44.00%
I'm hungry, but it's too late to eat anything... 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 AM
Top Dog

I dont. Not because I don't care about the shelter/rescue/urgent dogs, but because most of the people on my facebook are not pet people, let alone dog people. And to be honest, I'm pretty sure only a few of those people would care at all or even bother to read the post. More people would just end up telling me that I'm spamming their newsfeed. For that reason, I don't really post about my dog very much either.

Actually, in general, I don't post on FB very much...
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Top Dog

For me it depends. I will crosspost dogs who look like dogs people I know (or people they know) would be interested in. Usually dogs who might have sport potential. I have friends who crosspost a lot, mostly people who volunteer at the pound or shelter. I really can't blame them for trying to get the word out about the dogs they know looking for a home. Occasionally one will catch my eye and I'll crosspost or tell someone I know had been looking. If I see a purebred I know a rescue person for, I will send the dog to that person. Or email the rescue. I know for sure that I have gotten some dogs into better situations doing that.

I will say though, if I wasn't friends with crossposters I may have never found Emily's Blossom. And she was what several of you have labeled a hopeless case - a dog who was showing aggression at the shelter, who was "cage crazy" after just a week of being there. Luckily, the local rescue that works with the pound gave her a chance. Took her out of her cage, took pictures of her and interacted with her to see she wasn't such a bad dog. That rescue group does share updates on pound dogs when people send them, so the dogs aren't just out and forgotten.

That said, I do think there are people who over do the crossposting thing. Like crossposting every dog in this state and the five states closest to this state every day, morning to night. Just tons and tons and tons of dogs, I think most people tend to stop looking at a point.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
I think you both must be confused by what this thread is about, maybe I didn't word it properly or something. I am specifically referring to the "urgent" dogs that are posted with "THIS DOG WILL DIE IN 24 HOURS IF SOMEONE, ANYONE AT ALL, DOESN'T ADOPT IT!!!!!" When someone decides they want a dog, goes to a shelter, gets to know a dog and learns about it's temperament, etc. then decides to adopt it, that is a very different thing from someone (who may not have even wanted a dog and may not be a very good dog owner) seeing a FB post saying that a dog is going to die and deciding spur of the moment to "save" said dog. Sure it could work out ok, but it can turn into a really bad situation for dog and adopter. I am not some evil dog killer who thinks no one should try and rescue dogs. I am someone who is trying to be realistic and responsible about the kind of rescuing I promote.
I'll be back to this thread when I shouldn't have already left for work but there are a ton of people up here who are getting dogs 'from the south'. Committed to the adoption, they pay for them to hitch a ride up here. If it doesn't work out and they try to rehome they get branded with being awful owners. It doesn't always work out. Thankfully some of the shelters are pulling dogs from the south and allowing people to come and interact with them first.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Behavior Nerd

TBH, if a dog is labelled in all caps or with threats ("you're a horrible person if you don't share this dog"), I'm VERY unlikely to repost it. If it's a dog I wish I could foster or adopt, or I'm local and can help with transport, pulling, evals, etc. I'm more likely to crosspost.

It's all too easy to overwhelm yourself with all the dogs that need homes that you *can't* help, why make it even worse by seeking out these stories?

Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Sizzle, I know it wasn't enough for you but it was enough for Katie and better than the alternative. She was truly blessed you took a chance and took her in.

Sometimes that is all I hope for, a step out of the concrete floors, the feeling of peace, the knowledge that someone is emotionally invested. After that if a home comes along, lotto! But with seniors (which are my personal plight) we owe them enough to try, which you did.

I'm not telling anyone to cross post, god knows I sparsely do it, but I have seen it work a lot and for me it is worthwhile.

As for urgent ones I only ever see NYS urgent dogs which I have no contacts there, or LA which I have reposted in hopes someone in LV can work a miracle, again.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 AM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
But I was NOT talking about THAT situation.
Again. This post and poll was specifically about the "URGENT 24 HOURS TO LIVE" dogs, hence the name "Urgent Dogs - Do you crosspost?" This is not about sharing a dog in the local shelter who has a decent bio and you have a good idea of the dog's temperament. My comment "Because you can't save them all and sometimes "a home, any home" is a worse fate than being PTS." was in response to picklepaige's post saying "why wouldn't you share." I do not share most urgents because I know NOTHING about them. The little information that the shelter writes about them is often vague and sometimes untruthful because people will do anything to get this dog out of the shelter (anything short of actually adopting the dog). Look at the story Sizzle described, that's exactly what I'm talking about. And, yes, I have been called an evil dog killer by AR nuts who tend to share all of the urgent dogs that they see without reading the bio at all.

If I see a dog that I think someone in my friendslist would like, if I see a dog that a friend has personally met or evaluated, if I see a dog that really speaks to me, I will share, but I will not share every urgent dog just to get them out of the shelter.

P.S. That dog I mentioned earlier now has over 3,000 shares and over $2,000 pledged to him.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

Looks like I'm getting a foster who was urgent and shared on my wall..

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
Look at the story Sizzle described, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

P.S. That dog I mentioned earlier now has over 3,000 shares and over $2,000 pledged to him.
What about the saving of Katie was wrong? Truly, would you rather the dog not know Sizzles care at the end of her life? Would you rather she had lived in a stressful kennel until being PTS? I truly don't see that as a cautionary tale. I see it as heart wrenching and frustrating for Sizzle, the foster home, but that comes with the territory and it is a reason we should never forget what foster homes do for animals. I have had some fosters who broke my heart and it will never fully heal, the truth is though I can hope that the time I gave those dogs was the better alternative.

I know Sizzle is a fantastic person and foster home, Katie truly was blessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Looks like I'm getting a foster who was urgent and shared on my wall..
Thank you for taking a chance, even if the dog turns out to be a rotten man eater that nobody wants I am sure glad it's getting a chance.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Thank you for taking a chance, even if the dog turns out to be a rotten man eater that nobody wants I am sure glad it's getting a chance.
Oh, he won't be! I'm actually afraid I may want to keep him.

Little red/brown 4m/o Pittie with erect/wompy ears. *melts*

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

I work with shelters and rescues a lot. I love helping animals. I do not think I can help an animal that is not local. I can't afford to pledge money and very few people go through Arkansas.

Personally, I'd rather save dogs I like, breeds I like or local dogs. There are always dogs about to be PTS. I like to save dogs that I believe have a decent chance.

I agree with CatSina. I'm not against helping dogs. I'm not really against helping 'problem' dogs. But a 'problem' dog across the country being PTS tomorrow due to 'complicated' circumstances? Not my thing. I'll continue 'sharing' local dogs who need fosters or are up for adoption. If it's urgent, it depends on the dog. Most of my FB friends aren't able to take on a DA pit bull or a SA Yorkie.

And I wouldn't want them to. I've been to several adoption events where the animals were 'free' or had been there for quite a few months. People that could probably not handle ANOTHER animal, were the first to offer to take the animal. I appreciate people wanting to help, but when you have mobility issues, live off of your SS check and already have 10 animals you have a hard time caring for.... No. I don't want you to take this scared Chi. I don't like charity cases, really. You should want a dog because you want it. And you love that dog. Not because it has a ton of issues and will probably be PTS.

If you feel differently, awesome. Go do it. But you shouldn't judge others for not wanting to. (General you. Not pointing a finger at anyone here.)

Fosters are a bit different, though.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp