Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I am disappointed ... I thought the Amish took better care of their animals then this
They don't. The Amish are known for puppy mills.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

I have an issue with this because the dogs were bred, they got too big, oops, didn't bring in any money, so let's just take them all out back and shoot them.

If anyone here got tired of taking care of their dog, and just took it out back and shot it...everyone here would flip. It's the lazy way out, rather than actually going through the work of finding a good home or someone who can do that work for you.

Nah, too bothersome. Just shoot 'em. No biggie, we'll just breed cuter ones next time. People are sure to buy those. That bothers me more than the act itself. Putting down an animal vs. avoiding responsibility for said animal. The whole attitude about it bothers me.

But I don't mind people putting down via gun, as long as it is done correctly.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Josh and I have discussed what we will do when it comes Bamm's time if he doesn't go on his own. Bamm is NOT comfortable at the vet at all and losing him will be such a personal thing and I wouldn't want a vet involved. I would much prefer him be shot once humanely than be euthanized.

I also lived in the country for a long while so maybe I see it differently since a lot of people around me would shoot their old/sick dogs, cats, horses, farm animals etc rather than euthanize at the vet. We had to shoot one of my dogs when I was a kid because my neighbors had poisoned her and there was no vet for miles.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I am disappointed ... I thought the Amish took better care of their animals then this
Seriously? They are known for being horrific to their horses as well. I'm sure it is a generalization, but I've been told by many that the Amish horses going into the auctions are often in the worst condition of all. Plus the puppy mill thing. From everything I've been told/seen, they see animals as tools and nothing more.

I have a hard time reading the article rationally, because Gusto was born on an Amish farm in that town. The puppies were supposed to be drowned when someone just took them away (and then abandoned them in a trailer...nice rescuing).

Quote:
Not me!!! I have seen a horse shot, & it's is not a pretty sight, a couple of the d farm hands did that with an old mate that had a bad leg, she was otherwise ok, ex apt for a fused knee joint but she got around ok & was cognitive & eating & drinking & eating grass ... There was no reason for her to die that way.
Obviously, they didn't do it correctly.
And if the euthanasia went badly, it obviously wasn't done correctly either. I've held two horses while they were put down; one had already had a stoke and was on the ground, and slipped away so quietly after the drug we weren't sure she was gone. The other was in incredible pain, but after the first drug, was quietly eased to the ground, where she stayed under until she was dead. I will have no qualms holding Tristan while he is euthanized.

While I don't agree that it should be illegal to put down an animal because you can't provide for it, the whole thing reeks. The puppies got too big - but they shot the mother as well? It sounds to me like they wanted to make a quick buck selling puppies, realized it wasn't going to be profitable, and scrapped the plan by killing them. Shame "too stupid to exist" isn't something they can be charged with.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I have an issue with this because the dogs were bred, they got too big, oops, didn't bring in any money, so let's just take them all out back and shoot them.

If anyone here got tired of taking care of their dog, and just took it out back and shot it...everyone here would flip. It's the lazy way out, rather than actually going through the work of finding a good home or someone who can do that work for you.

Nah, too bothersome. Just shoot 'em. No biggie, we'll just breed cuter ones next time. People are sure to buy those. That bothers me more than the act itself. Putting down an animal vs. avoiding responsibility for said animal. The whole attitude about it bothers me.

My thought exactly. It's not the shooting part that bothers me, it's the rest...
Old 02-03-2013, 07:06 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
Look into horses being euthanized vs shot. Its often much less painful to shoot them.
I'm just talking about dogs (or cats too I guess). I don't know squat about horses. =P

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Not me!!! I have seen a horse shot, & it's is not a pretty sight, a couple of the d farm hands did that with an old mare that had a bad leg, she was otherwise ok, ex apt for a fused knee joint but she got around ok & was cognitive & eating & drinking & eating grass ... There was no reason for her to die that way.

I'm sorry, but this is the 21st century, we have euthanasia drugs for a reason, if you can't afford to care for the puppies, & the mom the I hope this mane armed. Ossining that he shouldn't be breeding what he can't afford.

Many Amish care for their animals like sh!t. They breed dogs like crazy, are known for their puppy mills, underfeed their horses, work obviously lame horses, and run horses into the ground then sell them for slaughter. And yes, the horses they bring to the sale, both for slaughter and for the draft and driving horse sales are often in awful shape-I've seen it with my own eyes. One of the reasons I bought my OTTSTB gelding was to keep him out of Amish hands.

Got to agree with BB and Lyzelle on this one--the whole thing is disgusting.

ETA: I've also held several horses (including my own) while they were euthed and they went quickly and peacefully (well with Sheena it was relative, as she was not peaceful to begin with). Shooting has it's place if done correctly, but I would have no issue euthing another horse if it come down to it.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post

Exactly.
I honestly don't have a problem with the "you can't put a healthy animal down yourself without a reason" thing, either, except we all have hugely different ideas of what "no reason" means.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:09 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Many Amish care for their animals like sh!t. They breed dogs like crazy, are known for their puppy mills, underfeed their horses, work obviously lame horses, and run horses into the ground then sell them for slaughter. And yes, the horses they bring to the sale, both for slaughter and for the draft and driving horse sales are often in awful shape-I've seen it with my own eyes. One of the reasons I bought my OTTSTB gelding was to keep him out of Amish hands.

Got to agree with BB and Lyzelle on this one--the whole thing is disgusting.

ETA: I've also held several horses (including my own) while they were euthed and they went quickly and peacefully (well with Sheena it was relative, as she was not peaceful to begin with). Shooting has it's place if done correctly, but I would have no issue euthing another horse if it come down to it.
Thats a real shame, I thought they were better horse/animal people then that, I am really sad to learn that .

No it think it should be illegal for someone to put down a healthy animal in that manner just because they cant afford to care for it, that is what SPCA's, rescues are for. even the kill shelters would be more humane, as most (at least here) use injection.

I beg to differ, I was with my first horse when he was lethally injected, they use a seditive (dont know which one, i guess it depends on the vet) before they give the lethal in horses because some can have a reaction to the kill drug, but with the seditive first, they just go to sleep. they didnt used to & many horse reacted badly to it, maybe thats what some folks on here experienced.

Our vet, us being out in the country will come out & euth ours at home, if god has not decided before that.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Top Dog

I don't think the Amish are good to their animals at all, from what I've read, like others have said, they are a tool, nothing more. One puppy mill article said just that, that 'outsiders' saw dogs as pets, but to them they are a cash crop that pays well, can be raised with little effort in a barn.

I'm guessing the heeler pups didn't sell so well, got too big, ate too much, so why do that again, shoot mom and babies and go get something smaller that will sell better and eat less. Just thinking. Sad but true.

As for the shooting part, if done right, I don't think there's much difference, but I've read about the opposite where some morons used too small of a gun to shoot a horse and had to shoot it in the head over and over again.