Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Default Who cares for the dogs in your household?

Pretty much what the title says. Kind of a spinoff from Does your SO... Even if your SO doesn't particularly care for dogs, does s/he help feed, exercise, ect?

Because Josh and I work split shifts, the dogs tend to sleep in with Josh, and he will let them out to go potty and such, maybe play a little outside, and then feed them breakfast. Sometimes he will throw them a Kong. If it's a day he is plowing, he usually takes Harlow along for the ride, though will every once in a while take Rider as well.

He will go on hikes with me, but the exercise and training is mainly left up to me. He is pretty good with going along with my dog crazy. We are both on the same page that when he gets his Griff, that he is responsible for the training and any individual exercise he wants to give her separate from my three, as it will be his dog.

How about you guys?

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Shared pretty equally...

Although I somehow manage to avoid poo duties quite well shhhhhhhh...!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Well, Rosey is technically a family dog, so we all have things we have done for the last 16 years for her

My sister takes her for her basic, 3-4X a day half hour walks.
My brother makes sure she has kibble and water, though I'm starting to take that over.
I take her for the fun outings, take her to the vet, buy her food, give her dinner when I'm home and am in charge of her well-being and any decisions. As well as medications.
My mom gives her dinner when I'm working, and medication when I sleep in after an overnight shift.
My dad barks orders at her thinking she's a robot. Not very useful.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Behavior Nerd

Me 100% unless I'm out of town, sick, or away from the house for more than 10 hours and DH gets home before I do.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Top Dog

My mom uh...lets them out. The kids do sometimes too. Sometimes they feed them if I'm not going to be home until late (or on a trip).

I 100% pay for all food, vetting, and supplies. Feed them all. Keep up with the litterboxes. Vacuum. Walk, play, exercise, and train. Bathe and groom. Nails.

Wonder why I'm moving?

Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Chihuahua Power!

We both share the responsibility

Lately, I've been feeding them and taking them out most of the time, because Ian's been busy at work. He normally feeds them breakfast on weekend mornings since he wakes up earlier than me.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

Matrix is a family dog, my dad and I handle most of his care. My SO walks Matrix with me in the evening and on weekends, and will help out if my parents or I can't.

When I move out with my SO this spring/summer and I get my own dog, I'll be feeding, exercising, training in the early morning before I leave for work and when I get home. SO will let dog out to pee before he leaves for work, and probably join me for walks in the evenings. I know SO will also take over care if I'm sick or away.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Top Dog

My situation is a little different. I pay 99.9% of the bills (my mom occasionally feels like being nice and will pick up a medication bill if she's picking up something at the clinic for me). When I lived with my mom she preferred buying litter if she was scooping cat boxes (which is something I'm not consistently great about). She would also take my dogs out for a short walk when she got home from work if I was working late.

Now that I live alone, I do everything. When I move into my apartment, I'll also have my cats again so I'll be 100% responsible for all care/bills/etc for 3/4 animals consistently. My mom has been wanting to buy some of Bailey's med/supplements lately which is nice now that Bailey is staying with her. I don't have to worry as much about her meds running out now.

ETA: Except for the fact that I'm moving into this building so Lauren can help if I'm stuck at school, or work... or something!
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I do about 90% of the care for our dogs. I do all of their training and majority of their potty breaks, feeding, exercise etc. Josh will feed or take them on walks if I need him to and some days he takes Bamm to work with him depending on the job he is doing. Pretty much 95% of any money spent on the dogs comes out of my paychecks. I buy their food and training treats through my work with my discounts and today I'm paying for most of Cricket's vet bill out of my own paycheck. What I can't afford will come out of josh's bank account depending on how expensive it ends up being.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
such sights to show you

I do the majority. If he gets up first in the morning or gets home first at night, he lets them out and feeds them and if I am out of town and he is home he does everything (except he doesn't take them to training or exercise beyond leash walks). Sometimes he cleans up the yard, depending on our schedules.

Otherwise it's all me, but having the dogs is all my choice in the first place and I'm the one who likes to do activities with them, so it's a fair arrangement as far as I'm concerned.