Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Default Would you Pick Your Dog All Over Again?

I had that question posed to me about Gambit by a coworker the other day. Had I known everything that I know about him now, the issues he has and will have for the rest of his life (barring a miracle, and come on, we're due one ), would I have still taken him.

I won't lie, it required thought. I chose him specifically because I wanted a dog to dabble in agility with, and based on what the shelter told me (90% lies with a bit of sugar coating on top) he had great potential as far as being very handler oriented and easily picking up new commands. I'm not sure how they determined this, considering that they hadn't even bothered to leash train him, much less anything else, but oh, well. He'll never be the agility competitor I wanted, which is sad, because he would kick ass at it if he didn't have his fear issues.

But, yes, I would choose Gambit again. I would try to get him sooner, get him to a behaviorist sooner, and definitely put him on meds sooner, but I would have seriously missed out without having my coyboy.

What about everyone else? I know that we all love our dogs, but would you pick them again? What about those who are unintentionally living in crate and rotate, or have dogs with severe health or temperment problems?

I would have taken Argon again, but I always felt that I would have been able to place Argon in a different home, if the perfect one had shown up. I loved him, and I was happy to keep him, but I felt like there was a better match for him out there.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

The girls turned out exactly as I hoped they would, so of course I would choose them again.

Classic is a good example of this though. Would I have bought him knowing that he wouldn't ever be the show dog I wanted him to be? Knowing that we could never trial in agility? Knowing that I would have to drastically change my lifestyle to ensure the safety of my friends/family? Knowing that one day I would have to make the horrible decision to euthanize him for an injury caused by his issues? Of course I would. I learned so much from him, my life was completely altered by having him in my life. Some of the lessons were difficult to bear at the time, others were enlightening. I wouldn't change any of those experiences for anything.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

You know, if I'd known then what I know now, I might have tried declining Keira. Might have. Not that it would have been my choice. But my reason being is simply because she ended up becoming 98% my responsibility as she's a terrible match for my mom, for whom she was intended. Or at least she was intended as more of a family dog. But she nearly feels like mine, because literally she is awful to live with if my mom is the one to be responsible for her. So in some ways it's kind of frustrating. For one thing, my mom doesn't have a dog that she can do whatever with, and for another, while Keira is an easy dog for me in most ways because I know how to manage and live with her, she's not really my type of dog, so I never would have chosen her for myself.

With that said though, I adore the dog Keira grew up to be most days. While she may be frustrating when other people are home, when it's just me and the four dogs or just me and Keira, she's wonderful. And she's taught me a lot about how to deal with a certain type of temperament and made me a better dog owner in that way, and she's taught my mom not to just say yes to a dog because it's pretty haha. The smart thing for my mom would have been for the family not to take Keira, though. But now that she's here, I can't imagine her with anyone else. She's stuck with us and we're stuck with her for the rest of her life. And I say that with a lot of love haha. Truly she's a wonderful dog, but her energy is just too frantic and pushy and anxious for the person she was intended for.

As for my other dogs, I definitely would have still taken any of them. Ripley didn't quite grow into the dog I was hoping he would be, but he's the sweetest dog in the world and is a lot of fun. Rarely do you ever get just the dog you hoped for. And Dance, for as much of a weirdo as she is and how I wish she wasn't and that she could just be a 'normal' dog, I can't picture life without her. She's so important to me. She's hilarious, brings so much joy to us all, thinks the world of me in her own little way, etc. Quirks and all, we all love her immensely. Lately I've been thinking that, regardless of quirks, no Toller could ever possibly even come close to living up to Dance. She's my world. And if I'd gotten a 'normal' Toller instead of Dance, regardless of the awfulness of missing out on a dog like Dance, I wouldn't have Journey right now either, and that would be horrible. And Journey, no way I would ever dream of saying no to her. She's just a puppy, but so far she honestly is the dog of my dreams, no matter how cheesy that sounds. It's true. If I made a checklist of all the things that would've made my future dog perfect, Journey would hit all the marks and then some. I feel very lucky to have her and feel like she's going to be one of those 'once in a lifetime' dogs. She already is. It would have been the stupidest decision of my life to decline her. And I'll be forever grateful that I hit the 'send' button the day I had a whim to e-mail her breeder.

When it comes right down to it, all of my dogs, be they necessarily ideal for us or not, have all been influential in shaping the dog owner I am today. They each bring something new to the table, and they each have taught me something be it about patience, training, how to live with a certain personality without getting frustrated about it, etc. Even Keira's 'maybe' is a very slim maybe, because she's helped make me a better dog owner. And if we hadn't taken her, there also would have been a lot of good that we'd have missed out on.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Absolutely. I didn't even choose Rosey, but she's just perfect for me. She can frustrate me to no end, but she's mine, and everybody knows it.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

My initial reaction, honestly, was "No way".

But, the truth is, after a minute thinking about it, of course.

He is not the dog I wanted. Not even close. Every day I worry that he'll need to be put down because of his temperament issues. We do crate and rotate unexpectedly. He will never interact or have a relationship with my child. If he wasn't a family dog and he was just "my" dog, I would have put him down a long time ago...I couldn't safely handle him without help, or in an apartment, or in a city.

I wouldn't give up how much he changed my life, saved my life, bettered my life, for any "perfect" dog. For all of his problematic traits, he has some quality that makes up for it. I've worked with A LOT of dogs, and I can honestly say I've never met another one who's as smart as he is, or as incredibly, fully, sickeningly devoted as he is. I'm not confident I ever will.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM
swimming upstream

Traveler-absolutely, no doubt, don't even have to think about that--I miss her every day and wish I could have her back--what a great dog she was.

Baxter--absolutely--he is my little buddy, easy going dog and he really filled a need for me when I was going through a rough time, so I feel very bonded to him as MY dog--can't imagine not having him.

Wilson--he has been a challenge in different ways--he is a protective dog, and he is a reactive to other dogs beyond those he lives with. It took some figuring out how to work with him and/or manage some issues--but man I love this dog. So would I take him again--yep, hands down.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Hard question. I have had a lot of dogs who I had hoped would be one thing, and they ended up another. Gyp, for example, was purchased as a show dog. He was monorchid, not structurally sound, has canine lupus and moderate slipping discs... yeah, not what we "wanted". But, he is a great dog, and was the perfect dog for a little girl growing up (I got him when I was 6). Honestly, I don't know. I love him with all my heart of course, but if I were being completely honest, he is not my type of dog and I wouldn't have picked a dog with that temperament. Its hard to say.

I bought Fiona to be my next show dog. Of course I knew she had blue eyes, so obviously that was going to make it hard. However, with that said, that dog is PERFECT. She has the most fantastic temperament, she is so talented and everything a BC should be. Realistically, it doesn't matter that she's not what I had envisioned, she is more than that. Yes, I would definitely choose her again.

Riot... oh what can I even say about Riot. LOL. She had a really bad experience as a puppy and is people reactive as a result. Although she is 100x better and is the love of my life, it is hard to deal with sometimes. Especially considering the plans for her that I had. I think she will be able to do disc dog and herding, because she is so driven for her frisbees and her sheep, but I know she will probably never be able to handle the intense pressure of the show ring. Again, this is hard, because she is my heart dog and I would definitely choose her again, but I can't deny that I wish she were different sometimes.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:55 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
When it comes right down to it, all of my dogs, be they necessarily ideal for us or not, have all been influential in shaping the dog owner I am today. They each bring something new to the table, and they each have taught me something be it about patience, training, how to live with a certain personality without getting frustrated about it, etc. Even Keira's 'maybe' is a very slim maybe, because she's helped make me a better dog owner. And if we hadn't taken her, there also would have been a lot of good that we'd have missed out on.
That is exactly how I feel about my dogs.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 PM
SBT Lover!!

I would pick Saxon a thousand times. He is the best dog that's ever been in my life.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
Exactly this.

If I had known then, what I know now - not just the bad, but all the good too - I would absolutely, 100% still fight to keep Zander.

But maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic like that.

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky