Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

Wilson: BYB, "oops" litter (male dog dug under the fence and got to the female). Although, the girl I got him from did place all the pups on spay/neuter contracts and had all of the shot records ready to go, also didn't let them go to their new homes til they were 10wks. I got Wilson at 12wks. So not your typical BYB situation, but still, no health testing and such.

Piper: BYB, planned litter. They adopted her mom from AC and decided to breed her to their male (this was before our local AC's required that animals be spayed/neutered before leaving) because "she's blue!".. ugh. Mom had Demodex, so did all of the pups. Cockroaches crawling all over the walls, DISGUSTING conditions.. I paid $50 for her and reported them to AC after I got her.

Sako, reputable breeder. Health tests, shows and works her dogs. She is awesome.

My next dog will be from a reputable breeder, most likely another Amstaff.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

Lucy came from a shelter. All future dogs will be from a shelter/rescue situation.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Top Dog

Trent is my first and only dog, and he came from a local working/sport breeder. Great guy, would absolutely go to him for another dog, but somewhere further down the road. He doesn't have anything I'd really be interested in (or able to handle) at this point, as far as bloodlines and individuals go.

So next dog will definitely be from a breeder, just not sure which one.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Little dog, big voice

Moses: I was about five and at the time, there was a store in town that sold fish and pet supplies.. and my parents came home with a dog bowl and red/white leash, then that evening, a woman came by with two Cocker Spaniel puppies on leashes. Moses was the buff and white coloured male and then there was his golden-coloured sister, and being five, I went for the "prettier one". Apparently I originally wanted to name him Jesus but my parents made me settle for Moses... thank goodness.

Cali: I wanted an Aussie at first (and still plan on getting one) but since my mom was going to be the caretaker while I was at university, it wouldn't have been fair for such a high energy breed or to my mom. So, I settled on a Papillon after lots of hesitation. Actually, seeing and hearing about Laurelin's Mia and Michiyo-Fir's Nia on another dog forum is what convinced me to give the breed a shot.. and I'm really glad I did. We ended up finding an older breeder just four hours away who was about to breed their last litter, and since that was the only breeder close enough, I arranged "reserving" a female from the litter if one was born. It was probably the longest two months of my life but I checked the website religiously, more so when I got the e-mail saying there were two female puppies born and their pictures would be up in a day or so.

I'm planning on getting my next dog (an Aussie) from Merlin and Journey's breeder, if all goes well.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

Both the dogs I have now, Tess and Pirate, I bred. Tess' dam, Tully, was from a responsible breeder. My first Stafford, Elmo, was a rescue.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Behavior Nerd

Maggie: Local open admission shelter.

Ziva: Local open admission shelter, foster failure.

Kestrel: Local open admission shelter, foster failure.

Aeri: Responsible breeder.

Snipe: Found us and wouldn't take no for an answer (neighbor).

Next dog will probably be from a responsible breeder or breed rescue, depends on what I need and am looking for in 10 years.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

Past dogs:

Midas (Lab) - BYB

Mason (Lab) - BYB

Kya (Pit Bull) - Craigslist...the man's wife was beating her. She was terribly shy but we couldn't leave her there.

Madix (Dutch Shepherd) - "reputable" breeder. She health tests and seems to breed good dogs but sent me the puppy no one wanted because he was "that" puppy - aka, nerves were bad, misplaced aggression/reactivity/biting etc

Current dogs:

Eden (Corgi) - reputable breeder. Held back for show, didn't develop how hoped and he was holding her for a sport home. Her prey drive is intense and can be difficult to manage.

Kastle (GSD) - reputable breeder, imported from Belgium. Could not be any happier if I tried. Will most likely get my next GSD from him if he's still breeding when Kastle is old and decrepit

Limit (Kelpie) - breeder. There's not a ton of "reputable" health testing breeders for Kelpies around here. I wanted a strong, confident, non-soft, dog from working lines. He's from working lines. I would get a pup from her again as I am very pleased with his temperament thus far, however, I cannot get in touch with her anymore at all so I suppose I will look elsewhere.

Future dogs:

I plan on sticking to GSD and Kelpie. I may replace the Kelpie with a Koolie, perhaps. Depends on what I think when I meet the Koolies and if the temperament is similar to Limit's. Some day I'd like to try a Chessie but I think that is far far off.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer- breeder, retired adult at age 4

Mia- different breeder, puppy

Future dogs- breeder adult or puppy, rescued adult of specific breeds/crosses

All I really care about is finding the right dog for me at the time. Nextdog will be from a breeder.

Past dogs:

Nikki- newspaper ad and brought home at 5 weeks. I was also 10 when I picked her out but it was all my doing. I'm the one that found the advertisement and begged my parents to go get a puppy.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

Nia is from a show breeder.

Truffles and Popcorn are from a pet store in the UK because my aunt didnt know any better than to find a breeder.

Future dogs will most likely come from breeders.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

Boomer- From a county shelter
Zoie- From a county shelter
Fez-Stray
Soldier- From someone's yard. I delivered pizza to this woman all the time, and she had tons of litters she would dump at the shelter. Soldier was out of the yard and I picked him up, said Oh, he got out! The woman said oh no, I can't keep him contained, I was hoping he would just wander off . So I took him home.
Ritzy-From a friend that was going through tough times
Coconut-From a friend's shelter
Skye-Tied to my vet clinic's door. We sent her to animal control, and I adopted her when I was afraid she would PTS.
Romeo-BYB. Wanted a herding type breed, friend of a friend had one 12 weeks pup she needed to get rid of..I took him.