Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

Got Jackson from a BYB in Baltimore City. Answered an ad in the classifieds.

Next dog will most likely come from a reputable breeder.

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

Cinnamon showed up at our door. I asked "Can we keep her?" and we did. She has not caused any problems. (That were of her doing.)

Gwen we got from a city shelter. As soon as I moved out I wanted a dog and I got one. BF picked her out, though. She was a bit too timid for me but his other choices were all black labs, so....

Any future dogs will be from shelters/rescues or something similar. Or perhaps a "I can't take care of it, do you want it?" situation.

I can't justify spending certain amounts on a dog. Especially since I don't DO anything with them. Gwen is my first experience with MY dog and while we want to get her into agility, I doubt I will get hard-core with it. I don't know enough.

I have the breeds I like but I really want to get in a place where I can foster. Next dog will hopefully be a Happy I would like to have a senior dog.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Top Dog

Elsie is from a breeder. If I ever want another Elsie (which is quite likely) I'd be happy go go back to them--she's fabulous.

Zobby is from an accidental breeding.

I won't be getting another dog for probably 10-15 years. Our household will probably be getting another dog in 2-5 years, and we'll either rescue or go to a breeder; we don't know yet.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Tucker (Wheaten) is a breeder bought dog.

Hannah (Rat Terrier) was a cheap sale from my boss who was downsizing due to a divorce. She previously was bought from a hunting breeder and sold to test out as a foundation for a hearing dog breeding/training program that was interrupted by the divorce.

Arnold (pit bull) was found at a dog park at night. I was walking Hannah and he was all alone. I took him home assuming someone had an emergency and returned daily for two weeks. Eventually I ran into the previous owner (he's easy to spot with his wonky ribs) and she said thank god someone adopted him and she'd left him there because she couldn't bare to take him to the pound where they kill pit bulls. He'd been through 5 homes in 5 months and other than SA he was a gem, her loss.

Shamoo (pit bull) was brought to my attention on CL by a friend. Her owner had gone into the hospital and left her (then Taboo) with a pet sitter. However, the owner either died or went into hospice with no family to take the dog so the pet sitter ate the cost and tried to rehome her. She was 35 lbs over weight and 10 years old. I took her in with the intention of either getting her healthy and placing her or waiting out the last part of her life which we assumed would be soon. I placed her with my parents but as she lost weight she gained energy and when my dad fell ill my mom couldn't handle her. I took her back and said screw it she's mine. Best decision I have ever made.

Sloan (Malinois) is a breeder bought puppy.

Backup (Malinois) is a breeder hold back but although his temperament and drive was there he was too small and not balanced in the way the breeder desired, she wanted more of the bitch in the dog but saw almost entirely a carbon copy of the stud. I bought him at 8 months.

I will go to a breeder or get my next puppy out of one of my two should I decide to breed either of them down the road.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

Robyn and Trin are from Willow Afghan rescue and Wassim is from the Arabian saluki centre of Canada.

Future dogs will be from either of these places or from the Af club of America's rescue if there are no homeless Canadian Afghans when I am looking.
No worries there in the saluki department! There is a pretty unlimited supply!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Mackenzy is from a rescue, technically adopted by my parents.

Keeva is from a breeder, she was a hold back for a sport home because her breeder (wisely) predicted she'd be returned if put in a pet home. LOL

Blossom is uh... a DIY rescue/shelter pull? Aleron saw her picture at the local pound, confirmed that she was Roust's sister, and arranged to get her out and to me. Her official adoption will be processed through ABMC rescue.

I plan on buying dogs from breeders, but accept that rescues will just sort of happen to me. I don't see myself ever planning out adding a rescue dog, but I enjoy helping dogs in need and fostering and... well... stuff happens. LOL Like Malinois landing in your lap from Ohio.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

I also have a bad feeling I'm going to inherit dogs from family members/friends down the road who don't like or can't handle their dogs. Just a hunch, which is a bummer since I don't like the types of dogs my family members like but I'm not going to say no either.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I also have a bad feeling I'm going to inherit dogs from family members/friends down the road who don't like or can't handle their dogs. Just a hunch, which is a bummer since I don't like the types of dogs my family members like but I'm not going to say no either.
This, too. I almost landed with a senior lab mix, who I absolutely adore, but she ended up with my aunt, which is good because I shouldn't have another dog but would NOT have let her go to shelter or rescue.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

Previous Dogs--
Tori (GSD x Chow) -- Shelter
Vegas (GSD x) -- Shelter
Checkers (BC x Aussie) -- Shelter
Nour (GSD x Malamute) -- Technically a byb, but it was a lady that had an accidental litter :P

Current Dog--
Crystal (GSD x Sheltie) -- Rescue (a lady found her dumped on the side of the road... we bought her from her.)

Hopefully my future dog will be from a breeder, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't have any real major preference whether or not to get a breeder or rescue dog.

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs

Last edited by CrystalGSD; 01-23-2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Bad wording :)
Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I am always constantly prepared to make Georgie Dog #4... and there was a time when I was horrified that my BIL would try to make Henri become Dog #4... yeeeeeah, LOL.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog