Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

Most of my past dogs were rehomes either through a friend of a friend or something or from the newspaper (and one was from a door to door salesman). Two of them were from decent breeders, although nobody we'd go to for a dog now based on more buyer education/knowledge, one was from a BYB, and one from an accidental litter of a friend. We've also had a couple of purebred rescues that were adopted through breed rescue.

Of my current dogs:

Dance is from a local breeder. Not one I'd run to again for a dog, but she is very active in titling (in multiple venues) and health testing her dogs, and I get along with her as a person. Just don't want another dog from her.

Ripley and Keira are both from a local reputable breeder (now retired) who is also a good friend of ours. We developed a friendship after adopting our first Doberman sort of through her (as she was active in breed rescue), and that's why we even have Keira and Ripley. We likely wouldn't have sought out more Dobermans had that not happened. But through her we got to know the breed well, her really well, and she wanted us to have on of her puppies... and somehow one lead to two eventually haha.

And Journey is from a reputable breeder in a different province and has been nothing short of awesome since the first day I contacted her. I love Journey's breeder.

The vast majority of my future dogs will all be from breeders that live up to my standards/priorities as far as breeders go. I can see myself adopting the right rescue dog at some point, but most of my dogs will be breeder dogs simply because I prefer to go the route of a good, supportive breeder. And I like to know temperament and health background as well, having experienced both terrible temperaments and heartbreaking and unexpected health issues first hand in dogs not from breeders. I'd rather stack the odds in my favour.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Past Dogs:
Most of my past dogs were either rescues or BYBs since my parents don't really know much when it comes to choosing a breeder. "Oh look, they have lab puppies in the paper. Let's call about them"....

My last dog that I had when I was a kid was Cheyanne. I've posted about her on here before and she was an Aussie/ACD mix. AWESOME dog. We got her through a rescue after my parents had looked through numerous puppy mill petstore puppy options. oy. I'm glad we got her through rescue.

Present dogs:
Bamm (BC mix): Got him from a shelter up in Haymarket, VA. Luckily for him a trainer fostered him shortly before I adopted him so even though I adopted him through the shelter, he wasn't stuck in a pen all day and was living at a home.

Cricket (Mexidog): I got her from Grace (RD) here on the forum. She was a little mexican street dog pup that Grace ended up with and I fell in love. She fit what I was looking for and seemed like a great match so I drove from Albuquerque, NM to Tucson, AZ to meet with Grace who had driven her across the Mexican border and into Tucson. I would take on another Mexidog (as we tend to call them lol) in a millisecond. She is by far the best dog I've ever had and she is so much fun.

Joey (Ibizan Hound): I pulled him from someone off Craigslist for Ibizan Hound Rescue. They had a foster lined up for him, but I completely fell for him and they agreed to let me keep him. He originally came from a breeder down in FL so I'm told though no idea what breeder and probably not a super reputable one honestly. His conformation is off and he has some major faults, but I don't care. He's an awesome crazy clown of a dog.

Future Dogs:
Either rescue or a reputable breeder. I keep going back and forth in my head between either another Ibizan (through breeder or a young female through Ibizan Hound Rescue) or another herding breed... maybe another border collie (either sport or working lines) or maybe a sheltie or papillon.... But then there are Xolos... god I'm undecided because there are quite a few breeds I adore. Oh well... no future dogs anyyyyytime soon more than likely.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Rosey was found abandoned on the Queensway. Between here and Kingston, IIRC.

Not sure where next dog will be from, depends where I am and what's going on. I have a litter from a breeder I'd LIKE a puppy from in a couple years, though. Regardless, the choice will likely be breeder or private rehome, solely because I like my dogs intact.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Not a Border Collie

Quinn is from a breeder here in Ontario, and futurepuppy will be from another good breeder in the US.

Nothing against Quinn's breeder - she is awesome and I would go to her again, but now that I have some breed experience I feel comfortable buying sight unseen from a breeder I've followed since I first looked into the breed.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

Max (childhood dog, deceased) - Shar Pei rescue, we picked him up from a foster home

Tucker - PAWS New England, a rescue that pulls dogs from a TN shelter and adopts them out mainly to New England.

Future dogs will most likely be shelter/rescue dogs. I'll only go to a breeder if I really want a puppy, and Tucker really put me off of puppies so I can't imagine that happening. But I will never get a shelter puppy again, only adults.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 PM
such sights to show you

Pip and Maisy are both Petfinder finds, from 2 different small local rescue groups.

Squash is from a recreational musher in Ohio who had purchased an adult female Alaskan husky for her team who was, unbeknownst to anyone, pregnant at the time of purchase. Squash is one of the puppies.

I hope to get future Alaskans from the same person. She and I see eye to eye on a lot of things and I trust her ethics and practices. She has not yet intentionally bred any of her dogs and will not be breeding regularly, but will probably have occasional litters from time to time and hopefully the timing will work out with a litter and when I am in the market for a puppy again (not anytime soon).

ETA: If timing or other things don't work out, I'll probably go through a local husky or other rescue. I want to keep mushing and joring, but a lot of mushers just have practices I'm not comfortable with, unfortunately.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

Missy - Adopted from a local rescue organization. She was found on an abandoned property and taken into animal control.

Jack - Adopted from a local rescue organization. He was surrendered by his owner because her new boyfriend didn't like them.

Past family dogs were acquired from an "ad in the paper" type situations. Not the best, but I didn't have any input then.

Future dogs may be rescues or from a breeder or a "fell in my lap" situation. I don't have any concrete plans.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

Gavroche was a stray that was found by one of our clients at the vet clinic, She already had several dogs and didn't have time for another one, so she was boarding him until she could find a home for him. I found my own apartment and took him home

Logan is from a reputable breeder, and purchased specifically to be a service dog candidate (and it panned out well ).

Future dogs will depend on why I want a dog. If I just want a dog to be a pet and dabble in some sports like rally, then I'm not opposed to a rescue, though I will still search for the right fit (I don't want a dog that's not good with people or other dogs again). If I have something specific in mind, I'll probably go to a reputable breeder again. for example, service dog, serious competition dog, conformation, breeding etc - those are all reasons I'd go to a breeder. However, even if the dog is going to be "just" a pet, I may still go to a reputable breeder for the health aspects. I will NEVER get a rescue if I'm intending to train it as a service dog. Too much risk that it won't work out, and I know that if it didn't work out there's no way I could rehome, so it would limit me actually having a service dog.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

Henry is from a local shelter here in Knoxville. I adopted him at a year of age and became his third and final home. Not sure why really, he's a great dog, a little undersocialized and soft, but a super easy dog to have around.

Future puppy is an unborn Amstaff coming from a reputable breeder. I want the experience of raising a puppy from the ground up. The only puppies I ever had were as a child.

I imagine I'll always have some rescues around, though. I love saving a life and getting a lifelong companion in return.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

All three of mine (plus Georgie) came from the same reputable breeder's lines. If things work out, next dog will be a Payton puppy. If they don't work out, I will probably be getting another sport sheltie from a breeder, possibly the same breeder and possibly a different one, just depends on the timing. I have looked into a few other breeders from before I got Pay and have a shortlist, but at the time I decided it was more important to me to have the same lines as in Auggie in my puppy. Payton had them and was available, so we made it happen.

Future-future dogs after that will be a majority breeder shelties but there will certainly be rescue dogs in there as well.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog