Anyone have a Bull Terrier?

I can not believe someone would say that about this breed. Especially a breeder of these dogs. They can definetely be a challenge and are unlike ANY other breed but the las thing they are is stupid. And you also said they dont think for themselves. This also could not be any farther from the truth

Juicy

don't own one but i want one sooooooooo bad!! here are some pcis i thought were cute, they are just like my ideal breed, they're so silly, any bull terrier i come across i fall in love with, they're such clowns!!

HOW I WISH I OWNED THESE TWO!! OMGZ

I love the breed. I'm flashlight training a pure white little girl who's deaf right now and she is doing amazingly well. Personally, and actually professionally speaking, I don't find any breed to be stupid. Yes, each breed generally has characteristics unique to their intended genetic outline and those characteristics may require you to do some different things with respect to their training, but I've really never met a dog that I have considered stupid. They are very clownish and seem to genuinely take pleasue in making you laugh. Training her has been so much fun and very rewarding as she is really motivated and easy to engage...one of the high points in deaf dog training for me so far. She wasn't socialized properly when she was a pup so has some dog/dog issues that we're working with. Socialization is imperative with this breed. Lovely dogs!:D

Juicy

I fell in love with them after watching the incredible journey (the 1st one) and babe 2 (that's when my craving for one really kicked in!)
Intelligence of a bull terrier

Temperament
Bull Terriers are friendly dogs with a wonderful sense of humour. Their physical strength is matched by their supreme intelligence, and both body and mind need to be kept active.
link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Terrier

ARE BULL TERRIERS EASILY TRAINED?
As far as intelligence is concerned, the Bull Terrier compares favorably with any other breed. They have been shown successfully in obedience trials, many obtaining C.D., C.D.X. and U.D. degrees. They were used with great success during World War II as
Military Police dogs, hunting snipers and guarding restricted areas. The British named the Bull Terrier among the top three breeds in this work. Training your Bull Terrier pet is easily accomplished if you are willing to spend the time to teach him what is expected of him with a patient but firm hand. DO NOT permit your Bull Terrier to develop a habit as a puppy that you do not wish him to have as an adult dog, for the lessons he learns, he learns well. Use to full advantage the dog's great affection for you and the Bull Terrier will be a pet that will be a joy.
link: http://www.oc-bullterrierclub.com/consider_the_bt.htm

Ranking of Dogs for Obedience/Working
Intelligence by Breed

Based on a dog trainer's survey.

Rank Characteristics
1-10 Brightest Dogs
11-26 Excellent Working Dogs
27-39 Above Average Working Dogs
40-54 Average Working/Obedience Intelligence
55-69 Fair Working/Obedience Intelligence
70-79 Lowest Degree of Working/Obedience Intelligence

The bull terrier ranked 66 which means they are smarter than
67 Chihuahua
68 Lhasa Apso
69 Bullmastiff
70 Shih Tzu
71 Basset Hound
72 Mastiff
Beagle
73 Pekingese
74 Bloodhound
75 Borzoi
76 Chow Chow
77 Bulldog
78 Basenji
79 Afghan Hound
link:http://www.petrix.com/dogint/intelligence.html

:confused: Ooohhh...I do know what you mean, but I don't think those intelligence lists are very scientific really just serve to bash breeds....but YES I see what you're saying;)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Again people mistake STUBORN for STUPID.

They know exactly what you are saying but dont want to do it.

D

Dobiegurl

Molly_Moppet said:
Sorry, but they're really, really, really stupid. They're good with kids though and they're affectionate. But if you want something even remotely capable of thinking for itself, don't get one. A friend of mine breeds them. Her bitch has been known to walk headfirst into a glass door, repeatedly.

People like you make me laugh!!!

Members online

No members online now.