Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

Default Jealousy

How do you deal with jealousy between your animals? Gwen is extremely jealous of the cat, Charlie. If I even look at him she comes and sits in front me of. If I call his name or touch him, she comes running and noses my hand. I don't mind her being clingy, since I only have her and I'm not really a big cat person. But I am planning on getting another animal eventually and I don't know how to deal with her. Right now it's fairly harmless but I worry if I get another dog (or, hopefully not, but have a child) if she would get too rough. What do you do?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Ignore it.

If I'm playing with a ferret and Rosey comes up to me, she gets put in a sit and she can watch me play with said ferret. Just because SHE wants attention, doesn't mean the ferret misses out.

ETA: It goes both ways, too. I have an extremely clingy ferret (Harley). But when I'm spending time with Rosey, that's it, I'm spending time with Rosey.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Top Dog

Good. That's what I assumed. And I'm glad you answered since we will eventually get a ferret (or two, or three.... I heard you can't have just one). I just want to be sure she isn't going to freak out and attack the cat. Even though that would be very weird for Gwen to attack anything. She's a fearful biter, not an offensive one. I guess it's jut more annoying than anything. She's definitely preparing me for kids.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 AM
The DOG GUY

You can follow cesars methods of asserting dominance over the animal that is trying to dominate the other animals, but a ferret?

In many places these animals are banned because the are often very feral and cant easily be trained not to bite. I would be concerned for both your cat and dog! Good luck!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Why would anybody follow Cesar's method for anything?

And oh, of course. My ferrets bite me all the time. They're vicious vicious horrible creatures...

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Top Dog

Uhhh... Thanks 'Dog Expert' but I think I'll take advice from the resident ferret expert. Do you think a ferret is a skinny badger? Anyway, thanks for the advice, I guess. There's just so much wrong in your reply.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 AM
Top Dog

Had the same problem with my dog too. Every time I call my brother's cat, my dog would instantly jump and come and snuggle between me and the cat. At first I ignored the jealousy thinking that it is an ordinary reaction as dogs are territorial. However, the dog's behavior worsened. Whenever he sees other animals near me he would growl, bark and manifest an aggressive stance. I was advised by an animal behaviorist to be firm and not to ignore the bad behavior. I showed the dog that I am not glad with his behavior. I make it a point to call my dog and cuddle him every time I play with the cat or when I gave my attention to other animals. Now, it appears that the jealous streak is gone.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Expert View Post
You can follow cesars methods of asserting dominance over the animal that is trying to dominate the other animals, but a ferret?

In many places these animals are banned because the are often very feral and cant easily be trained not to bite. I would be concerned for both your cat and dog! Good luck!
Heeerrreeee trolly trolly...

On a serious note your post is a total fail and you picked the wrong forum to try and convince your bullsh*t to.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Why would anybody follow Cesar's method for anything?

And oh, of course. My ferrets bite me all the time. They're vicious vicious horrible creatures...
I fear for Rosey's life. She's lucky that your huge vicious ferrets haven't eaten her yet.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I fear for Rosey's life. She's lucky that your huge vicious ferrets haven't eaten her yet.
I think someone needs to step in and save Rosey. Clearly Jess is endangering her life by owning vicious feral killer ferrets.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle