Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Top Dog

I could go on and on. A big one for me is their intelligence. Sometimes it's as though they can read your mind. They're cuddly, they're goofy, they're athletic, they're stable, they're easy going...and they don't shed!

Miniature poodles tend to be much more active than standards and toys, but like all dogs, it depends on the individual.

It'll be hard to find a red poodle from a reputable breeder. The "rare" colours tend to attract unscrupulous breeders. There are great reds out there, you just have to be careful because poodles have A LOT of health issues and there are some lines that are truly riddled with issues.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 PM
<------RIP Superdog

Here are some pictures of Draco, my 10 month old standard. Poodles are such a great breed! I will always have at least one in my life! Riley, my first poodle who passed away last year was just the best dog ever!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM
<------RIP Superdog

Some pictures of Riley, the best poodle that ever was.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

Really Locke? The minis are more active than the standards? Wow! Or is it just that the standards need more exercise since they're bigger? That's gives me food for thought. I like active, but not too crazy active. LOL.

Poodlesmom! I LOVE your dogs. Those are some terrific photos! What beauties. And sweet Riley...it's so hard isn't it. (((hugs))) Thank you so much for posting. (I think thank you.) lol. You might just be "enabling" me.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Silence, peasants.

Okay, okay, Wesley picture time!

2 Weeks Old, at the breeder's:

Seven weeks old, being held by me:

Five months old, sporting an accidental goldendoodle look (groomer screwed up):

1 year old, doing what he does best, which is run run running

digging a sandpit to china

and 2 years old now, birthday boy~

Whew, that enough?

Oh, and Wesley is crazy active, he never ever ever stops. Be warned, I have talked with several other standard poodle owners and we all agree they are immature puppies for ages-Wesley's best friends to play with are always 6 months - a year, haha.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Top Dog

No, it's never enough. Awwwwww... Wesley is adorable. Those puppy pictures are to die for. What a handsome fella, even in his Labradoodle clip. I like Labradoodles. He looks like he has a terrific place to run. I don't. That's why I'm thinking more miniature. I use to have when I lived in Idaho and I had my Doberman who also needed tons of exercise. I had 5 acres plus forest service land adjacent plus wilderness hiking trails all over. It was a real dog heaven where I lived before. Here, I could do walks and find a few off leash places, but not every day like I did in Idaho. I have a small yard...fine for a small dog, but not for a big dog. I could even set up a small agility course in my back yard....maybe. lol. Thanks for the pics. They're wonderful.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Silence, peasants.

I only wish I had a DSLR when he was a puppy, it's a shame we only have a couple bad-quality ones. I'm, like, buying a 7D for this coming border collie puppy lol!

To be fair-he gets EXHAUSTED from trick training. Teaching back up just about blew up his brain. He's also super smart, it took him 5 minutes a day for 5 days to get it down. But like, waaay more exhausted then any of those walks make him. I also have a miniature poodle, she really doesn't need much exercise anymore at 11 years old, we got her as a rescue when she was nine months old. We do not have an obsession with poodles, really, it was a coincidence.

But they are awesome, sensitive and incredibly intelligent dogs. They do have a natural tendency to be very watchdogish and barky. They also don't have too much gogogo like border collies do (says the person getting a BC), but I swear Wesley's up there in smarts. The little miniature poodle, Cleo, is a genius and 10x smarter than him, she still picks up tricks so. fast. at her old age.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Top Dog

I've been pondering what I really like in a dog, and I'm curious...how are their focus? I'm starting to really prefer dogs that naturally have an interest in me (haha). If you go out to a field and let them loose...are they going to go critter and meander around, or are they going to hang out by you, bring you a ball, try to engage you?

I know they aren't as high drive as say a border collie or ACD but are they easily motivated?

I think if I ever were to bite the bullet and do it, I'd probably look for an adult..just given what I look for.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

I like the phantoms too (that's what they call the tanpoint Poodles), and the partis. But those are unallowable in the US, so I don't know if one can find them from responsible breeders.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
What about miniature Poodles Allison? I love the standards too. If I wanted a larger dog, I'd totally go for one. They are reeeeeeeelly tempting. But I'm sold on smaller sized dogs. I'm getting freakin' old and I have a very small yard. I don't want to have to lift a heavy dog if necessary and I find the small ones so easy to travel with etc, etc, etc. So, I'm thinking IF I get another dog....a miniature Poodle. Apparently, they're a little less likely to get some of those genetic health problems. What do you all think? I could still do agility with a mini and walk and hike like I like to. But yeah...they're not as regal perhaps as the big ones. Oh, and that's on my name list for a male...Regal. Cool, huh.
I like te Kleinpudels. It's not really a size in the US, but they are basically small Standards/large Minis. I've heard good things about this breeder's dogs: http://karbitpoodles.com/kleinpudel.html

I like the slightly smaller size, but not too much smaller. I like the Standards' look. A lot of the health problems are because of all the crazy inrbeeding that took place. You have to make sure to find a breeder with low COIs (for more than just a few generations back,) and plenty of health history. Spoos are very inbred - especially certain colors - unless you go looking for the right one.

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12