Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Top Dog

best dog in the world

Second best
Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Top Dog

Standard poodle is my pick for next dog, especially if I can find one in rescue.

Interesting pick for me as I have always been drawn to bully breeds and dogs with big fat meatheads.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Top Dog

Awww....Locke. Adorable and expressive faces. Look at those muddy paws. I bet they have the potential to get very messy when in the great outdoors. I love their hair, the feel of that soft, curly stuff. But I am so not used to the grooming. That would be an adaptation for sure. Just looking at your dogs and not being able to run my fingers through their hair is killing me. LOL. You guys have really made my day. Your pictures are great.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Poodles do not like pawparazzi. Especially on bad hair days.

Yes. That's my excuse.
Well, at least you have a good size siggy. But really now....surely you have some more pictures somewhere. lol.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonPitbullLvr View Post
Standard poodle is my pick for next dog, especially if I can find one in rescue.

Interesting pick for me as I have always been drawn to bully breeds and dogs with big fat meatheads.
Same here! There are actually a few breeds I am still looking at, but I will have a Spoo (or a Klein) some day. I thought I'd never have anything but Pits/mixes of them, and I never cared for Poodles. The big ones kinda freaked me out.

I still don't care for the look of the shaved snouts for the most part, but I'm crazy about their appearance in certain clips (or when left natural.) My brother didn't believe me when I showed him a pic of a Poodle without its face done. He swore it was a Labradoodle. When I first realized they'd be a good match for me, I started a folder on my computer called "Poodles are cute and good," so I would have ammo to back me up when I got brave enough to tell my anti-poodle family about my plans. My dad was actually accepting of it, to my astonishment. I guess he has faith in me, given how in love he is with my Zoe.

My brother is less convinced. He's getting a house and a wife, and loves Labs and Goldens, and asked me what breeds there are that he might like that don't shed as much. I don't think he'll ever be won over on Poodles, but I tried explaining to him that they are every bit the hunting dogs that his favorites are.

I had a dream last night about a litter of Poodle puppies after reading this thread.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I still don't care for the look of the shaved snouts for the most part, but I'm crazy about their appearance in certain clips (or when left natural.) My brother didn't believe me when I showed him a pic of a Poodle without its face done.
I'm extremely picky on how I would prefer mine clipped, I could never show because I wouldn't want to keep mine in the show clip!

This clip is just about what I like, the dog on the right I love a short clip with a clean face, and some nice head and feet poof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post

Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Silence, peasants.

Wesley is shaved down all over, it's nice and easy to maintain (no mats!), and he's not bothered by the cold like that anymore than with long hair. We cut his hair ourselves-if you go to a groomer, it does get expensive. I really won't mind having a dog with fur when I get my border collie-I feel like the shedding will be less of a pain then the hair brushing/cutting.

He's gone through several styles: goldendoodle until he was 8 months old or so, puppy cut, and some others that I don't know the technical names of.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Wesley is shaved down all over, it's nice and easy to maintain (no mats!), and he's not bothered by the cold like that anymore than with long hair. We cut his hair ourselves-if you go to a groomer, it does get expensive. I really won't mind having a dog with fur when I get my border collie-I feel like the shedding will be less of a pain then the hair brushing/cutting.

He's gone through several styles: goldendoodle until he was 8 months old or so, puppy cut, and some others that I don't know the technical names of.
You're not allowed to post without pictures of Wesley.

Yeah, I was thinking it would be a good idea to learn how to clip to avoid the cost of a professional groomer. That grooming though, does worry me. I'm lazy that way and have always had short or smooth coated dogs. The GSDs were a little longer hair and needed more brushing than the Doberman and Chihuahuas. My Lab too had a lot of thick hair and needed some heavy duty brushing. But having these smooth coated dogs has spoiled me. It would be an adjustment.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I'm extremely picky on how I would prefer mine clipped, I could never show because I wouldn't want to keep mine in the show clip!

This clip is just about what I like, the dog on the right I love a short clip with a clean face, and some nice head and feet poof.
I like that too Crazed. I don't know if the face would have to be shaved, but I would like it clipped close...maybe have a little short, wavy stuff on the muzzle. But yeah....kind of even all over would suit me. Those are really pretty dogs. I am loving the pictures.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I actually really like standard poodles. They're so bounce. Boing.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein