Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Top Dog

Some dogs can handle it. But I've seen a lot of dogs develop OCD type behaviors from the use of them. Plus, I think they're "mean." lol...they can never catch the "thing." It's always just out of reach...seems like it could be frustrating...no satisfaction gained because the grab and kill motor patterns aren't used. I'd rather throw them something or have them chase something on a string that they get to chase, grab, and catch in their mouths...more like prey. This light does not behave the way natural prey does. It's so intense that it's the only stimuli affecting their brain...I believe the other senses are not really working very well when their focused on a laser.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Doberluv; 11-25-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Some dogs can handle it. But I've seen a lot of dogs develop OCD type behaviors from the use of them. Plus, I think they're "mean." lol...they can never catch the "thing." It's always just out of reach...seems like it could be frustrating. I'd rather throw them something or have them chase something on a string that they get to catch in their mouths...more like prey.
I read somewhere - possibly on a cat board, that a good way to end the game with some cats is to throw down a high value toy (catnip mouse, etc) and bring the light to the toy so the cat pounces something tangible at the end. Guess that could work for dogs, too.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 11-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
I read somewhere - possibly on a cat board, that a good way to end the game with some cats is to throw down a high value toy (catnip mouse, etc) and bring the light to the toy so the cat pounces something tangible at the end. Guess that could work for dogs, too.
lol Snark. I was just editing my post when you put your post up. Yes, perhaps that might make it better. I guess whatever floats one's boat. I guess I'm just old fashion and am fine with throwing real things for my dogs.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM
such sights to show you

I think it depends on the dog. Pip loves to chase the laser pointer (discovered by accident while playing with the cats) but he's never become really obsessive about it. When you put it away, he just goes and does something else.

Squash and Maisy don't even appear to see it, or at least they've never paid any attention to it.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
...My sister's cat started to go crazy, and can't be around them anymore. He'd sit in the middle of the living room waiting for the dot for hours.
Our cat was to "sophisticated" for that. She'd watch the light for a bit when Caleb was playing with it. When I ran it up to where she was sitting, she'd reach out for the spot. But, as soon as she realized there was nothing to catch, she'd just sit back and watch again.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Big Dog

Three of my dogs don't even see the red dot. It's weird. lol
Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I've heard several people say that laser pointers make dogs go crazy, chase car lights, etc. What do you think?
It certainly does happen that playing chase games with laserlights or flashlights triggers a light/shadow chasing OCD in some dogs. There's not any way to predict which dogs it will have that effect on. Some dogs can play fine with them for years and others after one or two exposures to it are obsessing over light spots coming through the windows or shadows on the ground. So given that, I would never really consider it to be a "safe" toy.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm All Ears

My cousin tried it once with Mia. Mia loves chasing toys and especially bugs. It took Mia a couple seconds to realize it wasn't a real bug to catch and she just ignored it. His JRT will go crazy for it but doesn't seem to have any problems with regular lights.

I don't think I'd try it with any of my dogs and Im probably lucky Mia figured it out that fast because she is a dog that will obsess very easily.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 PM
overdogged

Yeah, depends on the dog. But if you find out the hard way that it's not a good idea for your dog, it can be a tough situation.

Luce will chase the laser pointer. It's hilarious (she makes ridiculous pig noises) and she's never been obsessive about it.

I had some lady suggest to me when Steve was very young that I should use a laser pointer to reward him in agility. I was like ARE YOU FREAKING INSANE?? Obsessive dog is obsessive enough as it is.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Enzo doesn't care about it. Indy and Knox don't even see it. Ozzy will look for it for hours after it's put up. He started chasing the flashes off of his tag on the patio. That was the last of the laser pointer when I realized he was chasing "tinkerbells" off of his name tag.

I caught one of my brothers friends running him around in circles on the patio one night after that. I think I scared the hell out of him when I ran out there yelling at him (I'd told them not to do the laser with the dog once already) to figure out WTF he thought he was doing and snatched it from him and chucked it over the fence.

It took him a little while to stop looking for it, but he did. I'm of the opinion that they can be extremely extremely dangerous for certain dogs. I've no doubt that if we didn't know any better Ozzy would be constantly chasing lights and shadows.