Are laser pointers unhealthy?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Art likes the light and it always ends on a treat that he can "catch" the bug lol But we do it with him sporadically and will never do it with Talon around. It's not worth the risk, him being a border collie and all.

spiffy

My cat is a laser point chaser. It is in fact Molly's favorite game. Pandog doesn't care about the laser ... at first. He would haughtily stare at the cat and you can practically hear him say STUPID. But when Poochie, my Japanese Spitz joined in the fun, Pandog became all eyes and ears. Now,chasing laser pointer is one of his favorite activities too. My dogs though are not obsessed with the toy.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I guess it varies then? Ime, either dogs are super pumped about it or don't care at all. Gonzo just stares at my hand, waiting for me to throw something... Fozzie is the laziest, least obsessive dog I've met so I guess that's why it hasn't been a problem with him. He doesn't even look at flashlights or headlights whatsoever.

Interesting, it seems like lasers are very popular with Boxers. :{D Corgis tend to like them too. My friend does dog sports with her Cardigan, who has no food drive (????), and she rewards her with the laser. I was considering using the laser occasionally as a reward for Fozzie.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
I really do think its a NO BORDER COLLIES type thing. I just know that once this breed gets "into" something its nearly impossible for them to stop safely. The thing about BCs... they have so much intelligence and so little common sense. I have seen BCs so obsessed with the laser pointer that they would literally run out in front of a car to chase one. I mean, I guess I'd apply that rule to any dog who is prone to obsessive behaviors but honestly I have never met a breed that gets obsessive like Border Collies.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I agree with you on that!!! BCs take everything very, very seriously. :) I am actually happy that Gonzo totally ignores the laser. Despite training him to have impulse control and even at his age, he does first and thinks later. I feel like he has book smarts & Fozzie has street smarts. He enjoys herding Fozzie while he chases the laser though.

Aleron

I really do think its a NO BORDER COLLIES type thing. I just know that once this breed gets "into" something its nearly impossible for them to stop safely. The thing about BCs... they have so much intelligence and so little common sense. I have seen BCs so obsessed with the laser pointer that they would literally run out in front of a car to chase one. I mean, I guess I'd apply that rule to any dog who is prone to obsessive behaviors but honestly I have never met a breed that gets obsessive like Border Collies.
I've seen the light/shadow chasing thing in Belgians.

Flyinsbt

My old SBT, Elmo, who was the dog I mentioned as being a light chaser, was obsessed with a wind chime at my parents house. When I first got him (he was adopted as an adult), I used to take him out to visit my folks regularly, and if we went out on the patio, he'd try to jump up and grab the wind chime. He couldn't do it, it was too high for him to jump, but he'd just try until I removed him (in hindsight, I shouldn't have let him jump on concrete at all).

When my parents moved out of the house, I went over to help Dad with some of the cleanup. The windchime had already been removed. Elmo went over and started the jump-jump-jump behavior in the spot where it had been.

I think that might be when I got the inkling that my dog was a little over-obsessive.

ACooper

I agree with "depends on the dog"

Orson plays with one now and then, when play time is over...it's over and he's fine. Phoebe (part BC) didn't give a rats hiney either way! Lol

moxiegrl

We don't use the lasers...only for the cat once in a blue moon, and only if Katie is outside or in another room and has NO idea it's out. She's one of the obsessive ones. It wasn't from chasing lasers though, flashlights got her. When we are in the yard at night, the power goes out, anything that involves a flashlight or head-light, she will go nuts. She gets over it quickly, but I could see it becoming a major problem. Our other dog Roxy could care less.

Just a couple nights ago, when Katie was sick, she went outside to go potty. It was dark, and I wanted to see if she went, what came out, and just watch her. Grabbed a light so I could see, and she immediately stopped what she was doing, showed more energy then I'd seen all day, and would not go back outside until she was darn sure that light was up for good. She will also immediately notice any light on the walls, etc. So, I'd be careful, but some dogs seem to be fine playing with them every now and then, some dogs are a little wacky. We aren't sure exactly what breed she is, but some Border Collie definitely seems possible ;-)

I'm sure there's perfectly legitimate reasons to use a laser pointer, and there are perfectly acceptable ways in which to use it that won't result in a neurotic dog. That said, I have no reason to accept the risk that might come along with them, or any reason to use them over the many other things I can do with my dogs.

Members online

No members online now.