Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Love My Mutt <3

If it were me, I wouldn't bring her into my apartment in your situation, unless she can be muzzled until you figure out what's going on. You live alone. Can you, 100% sure, say she will not attack you one day? I know it's something nobody wants to think about, but what about when that happens? What happens when you're alone, and she attacks you -- and you don't have multiple layers of clothes on like your brother did... you *can't* get her pinned until she calms down, like your brother did? Heck, you live in an apartment... what happens when you're not home, there's a problem (fire, water main broke, whatever) and the landlord has to let somebody into your apartment, and she's in there? Would she be crated?

If I were you, I'd think heavily about how her life would be in your apartment -- would that be any life at all for her?

Euthanasia isn't "giving up", or "throwing in the towel". There are things in life that are worse than being humanely euthanized with your friend by your side.

Obviously, it's a decision only you can make, and we'll be here whatever you decide to do

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I'm sorry you are going through this

As far as the bark collars go, I used a Citronella collar on Frodo once, worst decision of my life. He got sprayed once and we ended up standing outside of my apartment for an hour because he wanted nothing to do with being in the apartment. I've never regretted anything more than putting that collar on him. It may work for you, but it could also completely backfire.

Instead of the collar I would see if you can get a perscription for a fast acting anxiety drug. We use Chlonidine, but you would have to talk to your vet, or better yet a behaviorist that knows what they are doing. Any drug like Prozac is going to take AT LEAST 6-8 weeks to kick in fully, and I don't think I would leave her where she currently is for that long. The Chlonidine works quick and it really works for Frodo.

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Back in July she had a full blood panel done, as well as a complete physical. Bloodwork was normal. It was found that she had some arthritis in her left hip, and if she is bumped there when playing or patted roughly by someone that isn't, well, me, she'll bite. That was her leg issue. Recently she's started having urine issues...drinking a lot, asking to go out frequently, and having a few accidents when laying down sleeping. No UTI, no stones. Vets have no idea, so we just started her on Proin as a shot in the dark.

She gives no warning signs. She has had aggression issues since she was a puppy. Everyone in my family knows her and knows what to look for regarding her signs. Her typical reaction is a brief tensing, hard eyes, closed mouth. That will take place for maybe a second, then she snaps. It was a struggle when she was a pup because my family thought aggressive equaled baring teeth and growling, not hard eyes. They know how to read her now and I've seen it first hand. She will literary go from loose, happy, wagging tailed dog that is craving attention to cujo dog that is hard eyed and snapping with only a split second warning before she reacts.

She also suffers from severe anxiety when out of her comfort zone (aka, my parents house). I'm talking major. Her pupils dialate, she hyperventilates, she pants, she whines, she paces, she generally spazzes out. If I crate her or confine her to a room in an unfamiliar area she does the same thing. That high of a state of anxiety is no way for her to live, and that is what I'm worried about having her with me. At my apartment, maybe, I could just slap a bark collar on her and hope she doesn't have a heart attack. But at Mike's it will be near impossible. I can't confine her away from me or she'll panic. I've had her here before and she will not settle even when she's with me. Constant pacing/whining/panting. And considering it took me three years to get her to the point I could crate her in a certain cage at the groomers with her finally settling after a few hours, I'm not sure how easily I can get her to adapt to a new environment, which was why Mom was keeping her.

She does have a muzzle, but she completely shuts down when she wears it, and becomes that much more reactive because she's feeling insecure.

That's the issue in a nut shell. Right now I'm just...thinking. I know that causing her to live in a constant state of anxiety will be absolutely no life for her. And I can't risk her injuring someone.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
Recently she's started having urine issues...drinking a lot, asking to go out frequently, and having a few accidents when laying down sleeping. No UTI, no stones. Vets have no idea, so we just started her on Proin as a shot in the dark
Have you repeated bloodwork since the urine issues started? It could be kidney disease, diabetes, cushings, or any number of things that could make her feel worse - and thus act worse.

{{HUGS}} YOU know that whatever decision you end up making will be the best one for her situation. I'm sorry you're having to face this at all.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I'd go back to the vet for a full medical work up and question about other drugs. Then I'd place her in my care, because it's not fair to put that on anyone else.
This.

But you do not do anything while stressed and emotional.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
If it were me, I wouldn't bring her into my apartment in your situation, unless she can be muzzled until you figure out what's going on. You live alone. Can you, 100% sure, say she will not attack you one day? I know it's something nobody wants to think about, but what about when that happens? What happens when you're alone, and she attacks you -- and you don't have multiple layers of clothes on like your brother did... you *can't* get her pinned until she calms down, like your brother did? Heck, you live in an apartment... what happens when you're not home, there's a problem (fire, water main broke, whatever) and the landlord has to let somebody into your apartment, and she's in there? Would she be crated?

If I were you, I'd think heavily about how her life would be in your apartment -- would that be any life at all for her?

Euthanasia isn't "giving up", or "throwing in the towel". There are things in life that are worse than being humanely euthanized with your friend by your side.

Obviously, it's a decision only you can make, and we'll be here whatever you decide to do
I could be wrong but I don't think Chloe has bitten her, I think it's other people.
Euthanasia isn't giving up for sure...but coming from that end of the stick, you (general you) will feel better if it comes down to it if you have exhausted all options. The less "what ifs" you leave yourself with, the better, for your own mental state. It's definitely not an easy decision .

Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think Chloe has bitten her, I think it's other people.
Euthanasia isn't giving up for sure...but coming from that end of the stick, you (general you) will feel better if it comes down to it if you have exhausted all options. The less "what ifs" you leave yourself with, the better, for your own mental state. It's definitely not an easy decision .
Well yes, she hasn't bitten her... yet. But she also hasn't full out attacked somebody like that before.

ETA: I mean, that's just the way *I'm* having to look at it. I'm in no way telling her that it's what she should do, just what I would ask, still.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
All that said, this decision is totally yours. If you feel that level of management to be impractical, impossible, or inhumane, then euthanasia is probably the best option - and that's said without a lick of judgement, I hope you know that.

And, lastly, I'm so very sorry, Andrea. I'm really sorry you're facing this decision, I really am.
This. I was in this position very recently and it is a hard decision to make.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Big Dog

Our last girl Kazy, German Shepard/Wolf mix, would yelp and snap if touched by the back hind quarters. Months later she was having trouble urinating. I thought she had UTI but turns out she had tumor that ran from her rectum across abdomen. It was too far gone and we couldn't do anything about it. It went unnoticed. Maybe just have her medically checked again? Sorry your faced with this difficult situation.

http://www.tulipscloset.net/
Old 11-24-2012, 10:39 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Thanks guys.

I can't do anything about it right now, so I'm going to just kind of put it on the backburner for this weekend and mull things over. I'll speak with my vet on Monday and see if there is anything she can recommend for anxiety purposes if I were to try her with me at my place. Maybe do another full chem. Mom has told me if she snaps again, she wants her gone. Can't say I blame her.

For now, she's become the "no touch" dog...that'll work short term.