Wow your dog is ugly

Doberluv

I think the biggest reason it bothered me is because it's coming from family. I don't know.... maybe I wouldn't let it bother me so much if it was coming from someone else, but family.... well... different story... especially when they know how much I love my dogs. If they don't think Joey is a good looking dog then that's totally fine. I understand that people have different tastes in dogs. But... I will stand by that it was absolutely rude of them to voice it especially when they KNOW me well enough to know that I would be hurt by it.
Yeah, I can see that difference. My Dad, when he was alive said some pretty hurtful things about my Dobe, Lyric. He was very gruff toward dogs when he was ordering them around, although he liked dogs and was nice to them also. One time we were visiting my parents and Lyric was standing in the kitchen....just standing there. He was in my Dad's way as he was trying to pass by to go out of the kitchen. He said to Lyric rather sternly, "Get out of the way." Lyric didn't know what that meant and continued to just stand there like, duh. Then my Dad said to me, also gruffly and meanly, "I will not have a disobedient, untrained dog in my house." That pissed my off so much. I told him he WAS trained and if he'd just say in a normal tone, "excuse me," Lyric would move to the side. He WAS trained specifically to do that. Lyric was trained to the hilt. And my Dad just repeated what he had said before. I was so po'd that I left in a huff. And that meant going on a ferry to go home.
Yeah, coming from family, it kind of sticks in your craw.

And by the way....I think Joey is lovely looking...sleek and unfettered looking.:)

Taqroy

I think the biggest reason it bothered me is because it's coming from family. I don't know.... maybe I wouldn't let it bother me so much if it was coming from someone else, but family.... well... different story... especially when they know how much I love my dogs. If they don't think Joey is a good looking dog then that's totally fine. I understand that people have different tastes in dogs. But... I will stand by that it was absolutely rude of them to voice it especially when they KNOW me well enough to know that I would be hurt by it.
I think it's unfortunate that family does this - knows that something will be hurtful and says it anyway. My sister does it.

Honestly, I'd probably be offended no matter who said it. I'd be more offended if it were family but strangers don't get a pass. Murphy gets called funny looking all the time. Usually I say "Unless by funny looking you mean adorable you should probably shut up. No, seriously. Shut. Up."

People make fun of his legs too. He's part basset you assclowns, what do you think his legs should look like?

Haven't had anybody say any of my dogs were ugly, at least out loud. I have had a parent pull their child away and say, "What's WRONG with your dog?!?!?" in *that* tone of voice. Millie is 13, has laryngeal paralysis, and only 3 teeth (canines) that gives her a snaggle tooth sort of look. She also LOVES children (in a *kiss*, *kiss* way, not a *pass the salt* way) so gets really excited when a child wants to see her. Then her breathing gets loud and her tongue falls out of her mouth on one side or the other. Doesn't help that she still smells a little... "off" since her attempt to befriend a skunk.

My favourite response to odd comments is "Hahahaha... Oh.... excuse me. Laughing "with", not "at". You WERE joking, right?"

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I dunno, I mean, I guess I just see it as they don't have to live with her so it doesn't matter. Then again, I have ferrets. I'm used to it.

I certainly don't think just because somebody calls your dog ugly gives you the right to call then ugly, or their child ugly. Why stoop to their level? Two wrongs don't make a right and all.

This thread reminds me of a while back. A guy told me Pumpkin is an ugly dog. I responded "well, your not exactly handsome either." lol

moxiegrl

I really can't think of any ugly dog I've seen, and certainly none of the ones in this thread. But I had an awesome hairless rat in middle school, who I thought was adorable.....and I got plenty of OMG creepy/ugly/weird comments back then.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I have called dogs ugly before. But that doesn't mean I don't like the dog, or wouldn't coo over it. there is the ugliest, most deformed little Shihtzu that comes in to work all the time and I call him ugly. He's also a great little dog and I dote on him. Lol

So I personally wouldn't be offended if someone called my dog ugly unless it was an "ew, gross, I don't want to.touch it" kind of way.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
No one's ever called any of my dogs ugly, but I'd probably have a fit if they did... if I had a dog "so ugly it was cute", I could probably deal with that ;) I've thought it about many dogs and I just don't think I could bring myself to be offended. I absolutely HATE when people call old/debilitated dogs ugly - as Daisy enters her senior years I think I'd be sosososo hurt by anyone saying anything negative about her... aging isn't always glamorous :(

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
hahaha I want a Xoloitzcuintli one day.... guess I'll have to get used to it since it seems a lot of people think hairless dogs are ugly lol

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Having worked with animals for the past few years, I have definitely seen plenty of dogs that I think are ugly.... but yeah no way would I actually say that to someone!! That's just the kind of stuff you keep to yourself. What would make that an okay thing to say?

If someone called my dogs ugly, would I really be upset? I don't know, maybe not... but I would think that person was a jerk. =P

Red.Apricot

No one's ever called any of my dogs ugly, but I'd probably have a fit if they did... if I had a dog "so ugly it was cute", I could probably deal with that ;) I've thought it about many dogs and I just don't think I could bring myself to be offended. I absolutely HATE when people call old/debilitated dogs ugly - as Daisy enters her senior years I think I'd be sosososo hurt by anyone saying anything negative about her... aging isn't always glamorous :(
My dad drove me to your house on Sunday (and waited in the car), and when I brought Daisy to the front to poop, he said, "You didn't tell me she had a gorgeous basset!"

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I find "off" looking animals like hairless dogs & those sphinx cats to be facinating & if I saw one I might stare but not in a bad way more like in a "wow it's a [insert any of those breeds names here]!" & just be genuinely excited to see one in person.

Two of the horses I had we "adopted" because no one else would even look at because they thought they were ugly ... They were two of the best horses I ever had :) oh well their loss ;), that's what I think if someone ever says that about any of my dogs or animals ... I know that they give me in my life & it lets me know the superficiality of that person.

Toller_08

People used to call Dance ugly at one stage of her puppyhood. Or they'd say "isn't she cute...?" in a way that you knew they were just trying to be nice. She was kind of odd looking for a while though, so can't really blame them. Some people still think she's ugly because of her pigment.

Some people think the Dobermans are ugly because they lack tails and have cropped ears. It is annoying, but I try not to let it bother me.

And depending on Nextdog's colour, there's a good chance people will think she's ugly too I am sure. Hopefully she'll be cute and cuddly looking enough that cute will come to their minds before ugly.

I don't know why people have to be like that though. It's one thing to think it but another to say it outloud. I've seen lots of dogs that aren't at all what I find attractive, but I'd never say that to their owner or anywhere that their owner might hear me.

Red Chrome

I've had people call both LoLa and Judge ugly. My ex roommate hated Judge and called him ugly all the time. People, mainly APBT people, tell me LoLa is ugly all the time.

It doesn't matter cause I love them regardless of what others think.

Members online

No members online now.