Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Big Dog

I've had people say that about Tulip. Maybe ugly is the new pretty! LOL

I don't get people. Everyone who has posted up to this point I see absolutely nothing ugly about anyone's dogs.

I don't let it bother me too much, I chalk it up to them being jealous and not satisfied in their own lives.

http://www.tulipscloset.net/
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Top Dog

Sorry, Amber That definitely would have upset me to the point I wouldn't have wanted to go to dinner.

Lucy's never been called ugly (thank goodness, or I would burst into tears), but she's been called "vicious", "wild", and I've been told I'm "abusive" (for grabbing her scruff at the start line of an agility trial). It definitely hurts.

Your sisters are bizarre though. Joey is freakin' adorable.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Top Dog

Did you ask them if they were blind or just stupid?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I happened to be in my room with my dad because he was looking for something on my computer. Joey was in the other room with Josh, my stepmom and my sisters. Both my sisters commented on how ugly Joey is and that it's a good thing he is friendly at least. WTF? really???

Also... I have a good size clear bin that has all my leashes, collars, harnesses etc in it. I have quite a bit because I have three dogs and multiple collars, leashes, etc for each. So my sisters commented saying, "Wow Amber, I'm judging you." That's their way of basically making fun of me for my dog obsession yet again. A lot of people in my family really don't understand my dog stuff at all.
Would you be offended if I said your sisters hid behind the door when brains and manners were handed out? Joey is cute! Of course, I don't think I've ever seen a truly ugly dog - people, on the other hand...
It is a shame your family doesn't understand the dog stuff - don't they have hobbies/favorite activities? I'd probably retort I don't make fun of their interests or lack thereof, why are they making fun of mine?

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 AM
The Monster.

When my family and I first drove out to visit a little of Aussie puppies (read a posting in a newspaper, wasn't familiar with the breed, yes, we did everything wrong...) my mom said aloud, "Those are the ugliest dogs I've ever seen!"

We went home with a pup from that litter. Ever since I've been telling each and every dog how ugly they are, and that there is something terribly wrong with their faces.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 11-24-2012, 11:03 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
With Fiona I get a lot of "that dog is super creepy" and "it looks like its staring into my soul" and demonic/robot/blind/deaf/dumb comments. She is so friendly, and she and I both get offended when people get "creeped out" by her. I've had people say pretty mean things about her though, most of them are show Border Collie folk, but also some from the general public. One time I did overhear someone at the show saying "I was pretty pleased with the overall quality in the ring, except that ugly blue eyed dog. Yuck". Heck, one time a JUDGE said to the girl in front of me "mam, your dog is predominantly white (a fault in the BC standard) but the dog behind you (Fiona) is of such poor quality I had to overlook that." People are bitches.
And I think Fiona is the most awesome looking dog ever, so those people are idiots!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 AM
swimming upstream

yeah--if they think Joey is ugly they really have no appreciation for beauty!

I think most people have a preconceived notion of what a dog "looks" like. I think usually it is a dog with drop ears, medium build--generic dog.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Resident fainting goat

It's sad and a bit pathetic really that some people..instead of looking at new or different things with curiosity, are so close minded that they immediately jump to something negative.

I just wish people could at least learn how to control their mouths. Even a little bit.

I don't let it bother me and I certainly don't say anything mean back.. that only perpetuates them. I will not sink to their level. But yea. I have a chihuahua, of course I've heard the "ugly" thing before.

I will usually just say something like "that is not a nice thing to say" .. not in a joking way, not in a mean way, just calmly.
Take a look at how it affects people, it truly is interesting to actually see people self examine. Some people just laugh it off or whatever but some people you can tell actually think about what they just said.

The method also works with people with racist or insulting humor/jokes. Just calmly say something like "I don't get it.." and MAKE THEM explain the joke, making them go back and explain why the stereotype is funny..it's priceless.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

Kenya has been called ugly numerous times. I overheard a lady saying "That thing ought to be put out of it's misery" referring to Pumpkin a while back.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

Wow, I can't imagine someone having the gall to tell people their pet is ugly.

I know non-dog people tend to think merle is ugly. I love it, I love anything with spots.

My mom makes remarks about Skye sometimes...but she prefers terriers, GSDs, labs. I think Fez is kind of ugly , not big into the fuzzy terrier thing. I was showing her the Azawakhs once and mom was like oh...you really like skinny dogs don't you?? Yeah I kind of have a thing for petite dogs..