Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

Default Bringing a puppy home on a plane

Has anyone ever flown to pick up their puppy and brought it back home on a plane before?

This is something I am going to have to do sometime either very soon (hopefully) or next year and it will be a totally new experience for me. Just the sheer idea of flying all alone to meet a breeder and their dogs is nervewracking, nevermind bringing the puppy back. I don't know anyone who has done it before but figured somebody here must have.

The flight is appox 5 hours. But you also have to be at the airport ahead of boarding time too. What do you do about puppy bathroom breaks? Once we're all checked in at the airport, am I allowed to leave to take the puppy outside somewhere before we board? Will a young puppy be ok on a plane for that long?

Also, they say the puppy has to fly under the seat. Does that mean puppy has to stay in the carrier the whole time and I'm not allowed to hold it?

Not only have I never flown with a pet before, but I've also only ever been on a plane twice ever. Once when I was really young and then again this past January so I'm not overly experienced with any of it. I am sure the airline would also have answers to all these questions, but I like to hear peoples' actual experiences.

I know lots of other people have done it, so it must be fine, but I don't know what to expect at all.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM
Old 11-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Top Dog

Well in my experience the carrier won't fit under the seat. So I'm not sure how it's supposed to work. I brought my cat to the US in a plane, the staff was great and the plane not full, and they put me in a seat with nobody next to me so I could put her carrier there. Not too sure what I would have done otherwise... And no, not allowed to take the pet out once in the plane. My cat had to hold it the whole time (I took her out in the bathroom at the gate though, leashed, but she didn't go), eventually peed in her carrier 5 minutes from the house.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Resident fainting goat

- IN CABIN. You'll need a carrier, and yea, if you are flying the pup in cabin it will have to stay in the carrier under the seat in front of you (/in your foot area) the whole time. Which sucks :/ I know.
Depending on the airline, you either call and book the pet on your flight with your ticket early or do it at check-in. If you are doing it at check in,I would check in early just to make SURE you get your spot (they only allow a certain amount of in cabin animals) It's usually from $50-150 one way

*also, depending on how crowded the flight is and how nice your flight attendants are.. they might let you take puppy out and hold him/her. I've had flights where it was encouraged lol

- Once you are checked in, you are basically in (you can't come in and out without going through security again)
So check to see if your airport has smokers outdoor spots or pet relief areas.
Worse comes to worse.. I have used put newspaper down on a bathroom stall lol

- In my experience, puppy will be fine on a plane for that long. Something about the white noise.. most dogs just fall asleep. Romeo (while being an adult..is smaller than the average pup) has been on longer flights than that no breaks in a carrier.

Just make sure to tire the pup out before boarding and perhaps a chew bone and familiar smelling blanket/sweater. and of course emergency cleaning supplies just in case (wipes, towel, plastic bags etc..)
Old 11-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Owned by Belgians

I have done this on an 8 hour flight. Actually a 2 hour and an 8 hour flight.

First, tell the breeder to get the puppy used to being in a small crate. I used a Large size Sherpa bag. It's soft and slides under the seat.

The airlines may have special seats assigned for puppies, so make your reservation with the airline by phone, and the puppy reservation at the same time. Because I am large, I paid a little extra for an extra seat for the flight home since it was 8 hours. The second seat should be cheaper because some fees are waived. Sometimes the airlines give a 25% discount for the second seat.

Buy puppy pads. Take the puppy (in the bag) into the bathroom at the airport, have the pad down on the floor. Place the puppy directly on the pad and it will pee immediately 90% of the time. Technically, the puppy should be in the crate at all times, but I let him sit on my lap in the Amsterdam airport and nobody minded. I did NOT let him on the floor at any time.

My puppy made it through 7 hours of the flight before it had to pee. Yes the puppy must stay in the carrier, so I brought the puppy in carrier into the airplane lav and covered the entire floor with puppy pads. Easy because those lavs are so small to start with.

5 hours should be fine for the puppy to hold it if he's tired and gotten used to the crate ahead of time. People do this all the time, so don't worry about it.

I also had a Dry Fur pad inside the bag. It's like a diaper and will absorb liquids but keep a dry outer layer.

Have fun!
Old 11-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Owned by Belgians

I wished I had brought some Claritin with me because 2 of the passengers near me were allergic and the flight was full.

No matter what anybody says, the puppy must stay inside the bag during the flight! Make sure you tire him out before you enter the airport if you need to.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

Thanks, guys! I appreciate it. :-)

Sounds like it might be quite the adventure for me but will definitely all be totally worth it! Here's hoping she'll be nice and tired and sleep the entire way home, and the idea for puppy pads is good just in case. Except other passengers might think that's unsanitary. Hopefully I don't end up sitting next to anyone with allergies or a fear of dogs and that it will all just go nice and smooth.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Old 11-23-2012, 03:04 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

What do they do if the puppy is crying or barking? I've always wondered that.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 11-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

I've only flown with my cat, years ago. She did fine on the 2.5 hour flight, plus being at the airport a few hours early. THEN it was supposed to be an hour and a half drive from the airport home, but our car broke down in the desert so we had to wait for a tow truck, which towed us into town, they looked at the car, tried to overcharge us for the part, then had to put the car back together so we could drive home. In all that time she never peed, lol.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure a Koolie puppy will be small enough to fly in cabin. My friend looked into flying a Terv pup from Sweden to US and at 8 weeks that pup was already too big. Check out the dimensions, I think the highest the carrier can be is under 12".
Old 11-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
What do they do if the puppy is crying or barking? I've always wondered that.
I've thought about that too, but hopefully I would be able to keep her quiet with something to chew on and knowledge that somebody is with her. Most puppies only seem to make a huge fuss if you leave them though. Hopefully others around me would be able to put up with some quiet whining here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
I've only flown with my cat, years ago. She did fine on the 2.5 hour flight, plus being at the airport a few hours early. THEN it was supposed to be an hour and a half drive from the airport home, but our car broke down in the desert so we had to wait for a tow truck, which towed us into town, they looked at the car, tried to overcharge us for the part, then had to put the car back together so we could drive home. In all that time she never peed, lol.
Wow, sounds like a rough trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I'm not sure a Koolie puppy will be small enough to fly in cabin. My friend looked into flying a Terv pup from Sweden to US and at 8 weeks that pup was already too big. Check out the dimensions, I think the highest the carrier can be is under 12".
Change of plans and puppy will not be a Koolie, but still a fairly similar sized breed. That's good to know though and I will check into things for sure and will talk with the breeder some more as well of course once I know whether puppy is coming in a few weeks or from her next planned litter.

Ripley
Keira CGN