Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
You sure it's fleas? It's very rare for ferrets to get fleas due to their fur type.
They can still get them pretty easily, especially if a dog or cat brings them into your home. From what I understand, they don't become infested as easily as dogs or cats, but they can definitely still get them.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
You sure it's fleas? It's very rare for ferrets to get fleas due to their fur type.
Never been my experience at all. I have had ferrets for many, many years and IME if anything, fleas tend to prefer them over the other creatures.

Also the idea that anything soap-y will kill fleas is not really true. The fleas often will appear dead after any sort of bath but as they dry off, they come back to life. Have seen it many times at the grooming shop when we didn't find fleas until the dog was out of the tub.

If anyone sells Bobby Pantar's Charlie Dog shampoo near you, that is a pretty good all natural flea shampoo that is safe for cats and ferrets. I have always used spot on on the ferrets, either Frontline or Advantage. If you have found fleas on one animal though, you really need to treat everyone and the environment.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
She came to me as a stray, not sure how long she was outside for. She had ticks when she came to me, didn't realise the fleas til now :-/

Everybody's definitely getting treated. Somebody told me I should use.. revolution I think.. hut she was treated with something (frontline?) Somewhat recently for ticks.... how long should be waited between treatments?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I think revolution and frontline have a different active ingredient and, according to my vet, should be safe. I'd say if she was treated with the frontline at least two weeks ago, it should be okay to treat her again.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
They can still get them pretty easily, especially if a dog or cat brings them into your home. From what I understand, they don't become infested as easily as dogs or cats, but they can definitely still get them.
It can happen, but it's rare. Something to do with the dander. Atleast that was the talk on some of the more knowledgeable ferret forums I use to frequent back when my Skipper was alive.

In anycase, I do think you can use frontline for cats, but I'd double check with a vet before doing anything.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
It can happen, but it's rare. Something to do with the dander. Atleast that was the talk on some of the more knowledgeable ferret forums I use to frequent back when my Skipper was alive.

In anycase, I do think you can use frontline for cats, but I'd double check with a vet before doing anything.
From what I've seen, ferret forums are a joke. Tis why i stopped bothering with them xD. They all live for buying a marshalls ferret from a pet store, calling it adopting it, and then feeding Marshalls food solely because its "the best nutrition you could ask for".

Probably 85% of the ferrets we get as strays come to us with fleas.

I ended up getting rid of them. Used a fine tooth comb and did it the hard way. XD

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I was gonna say fine tooth comb and then setting a lamp & soapy dish flea trap in the house once they are put away and unable to go swimming in it lol. Darn, you beat me to it

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
From what I've seen, ferret forums are a joke. Tis why i stopped bothering with them xD. They all live for buying a marshalls ferret from a pet store, calling it adopting it, and then feeding Marshalls food solely because its "the best nutrition you could ask for".

Probably 85% of the ferrets we get as strays come to us with fleas.

I ended up getting rid of them. Used a fine tooth comb and did it the hard way. XD
You clearly haven't seen Ferretattitude on Livejournal. Check it out sometime :3

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb