Historical pictures/art of your breed

Just like the title says - black and white photos, paintings, archival images - anything in history of "your" breed or ones you like =)

A Fila and a jaguar it's taken down...intense...

Kuvaszok in art

Hunting Buffalo

Lyzelle

Togo, who was the real hero of the diphtheria run.

Fritz, Togo's half brother to the left:

Seppala and two of his dogs in 1925:

Sometime before 1969...Vintage postcard with RCMP husky:

Balto:

Romy

Taxiderpy
Queen Alexandra with her borzoi, a present from Tzar Nicholas.

Queen Catherine and her dogs. I would NOT be brave enough to hold that many borzoi leashes while walking down stone steps. :rofl1:

Prince Galitzin with his borzois (ahem, Stephy ;) )

Groubian, 1893

Almas, another Perchino dog

Argoss, a Russian import who won a silver medal for wolf hunting, and became the first American champion. He's really really nice, I'd be happy to have a dog with his type.

Have to dig up some more later.

Doberluv

Great idea for a thread Steph. The pictures are very interesting...just to think that people way back then were enjoying dogs similar to what we have today and that our dogs came from those dogs so long ago. Some are very old breeds, such as the Chihuahua. And of course, like most, they've gone through changes to one degree or another. Here are some of my current breed, the Chihuahua.

Alessandro Botticelli (Italian, 1444-1510)

Scenes from the Life of Moses
(c. 1481-1482)
Sistine Chapel, Rome, Italy

Vittore Carpaccio (Italian 1472-1526)

Two Women/ "Two Courtesans" (1510)
Oil on wood
Museo Civico Correr, Venice

A Venetian painter, his life is poorly documented, and it is not known with whom he trained, but it is generally agreed that the chief influence on his work was Gentile Bellini. After two major commissions, Carpaccio's career declined, his work seeming old-fashioned, and he remained virtually forgotten until Ruskin revived his reputation in the 19th century. He is now rated as second only to Giovanni Bellini as the outstanding Venetian painter of his generation.

Western Mexico, Colima State,
200 B.C.-A.D. 300
Colima Dog Effigy -
Ceramic with red slip paint
North Carolina Museum of Art

The animal most frequently depicted in Colima art is the hairless dog, today known as the Chihuahua. In addition to raising dogs as a food source, many peoples of highland Mexico believed that a dog accompanied a person's soul on the journey into the underworld. Discovery of these dog images in tombs suggests they were intended as companions for the deceased.

Pietro Longhi (Italian, 1702 - 1785)

The Concert (1741)
Oil on canvas
Gallerie dell'Accademia, Venice

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Haughty Madge, Izzie and her look strikingly similar.

There's lots of art, but it's early and I'm supposed to be getting ready for work lol.

Love this one of the pies working cattle. Yes, I would love to have a pied Fila!

PUPPIES!!! So much like Buffy and Kharma, too.

This is the other side of the Fila

Supposedly a long-ago photo of the now extinct Blue Paul, brought here by the Irish and Scots who settled in this region. Interestingly, we have a significant incidence of blue and blue-brindle APBTs in this area, and they're very true to type.

Oh, yes, and once upon a time our military had a REAL mascot breed -- now they're banned from the bases.

Versatile little dogs!

Lyzelle

I don't think I've ever seen a pic of Balto before. He's friggin cute!
Isn't he? Nothing like the huskies today, but he was such a bear of a little dude...as opposed to Togo. And Fritz, who looks way more like modern huskies.

Here's some more I found:

Another of Togo:

Another of Fritz:

Togo and sire. At the left of the photo is Togo's sire (father), Suggen, who was Seppala's racing team leader before World War I.

Togo was a bit of a favorite, as you can see.

Grab

Smooth and Rough Chows

Another smooth Chow, this one is South Africa in the 30s

Freud with his Chow, Jofi (I believe)

Chow in 1903

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie

Doberluv

Those are wonderful pictures Sit Stay. I love them.

All the pictures are so interesting. It's fun to see how they looked back in the earlier times.

Pops2

Great idea for a thread Steph. The pictures are very interesting...just to think that people way back then were enjoying dogs similar to what we have today and that our dogs came from those dogs so long ago. Some are very old breeds, such as the Chihuahua. And of course, like most, they've gone through changes to one degree or another. Here are some of my current breed, the Chihuahua.

Alessandro Botticelli (Italian, 1444-1510)

Scenes from the Life of Moses
(c. 1481-1482)
Sistine Chapel, Rome, Italy

Vittore Carpaccio (Italian 1472-1526)

Two Women/ "Two Courtesans" (1510)
Oil on wood
Museo Civico Correr, Venice

A Venetian painter, his life is poorly documented, and it is not known with whom he trained, but it is generally agreed that the chief influence on his work was Gentile Bellini. After two major commissions, Carpaccio's career declined, his work seeming old-fashioned, and he remained virtually forgotten until Ruskin revived his reputation in the 19th century. He is now rated as second only to Giovanni Bellini as the outstanding Venetian painter of his generation.

Western Mexico, Colima State,
200 B.C.-A.D. 300
Colima Dog Effigy -
Ceramic with red slip paint
North Carolina Museum of Art

The animal most frequently depicted in Colima art is the hairless dog, today known as the Chihuahua. In addition to raising dogs as a food source, many peoples of highland Mexico believed that a dog accompanied a person's soul on the journey into the underworld. Discovery of these dog images in tombs suggests they were intended as companions for the deceased.

Pietro Longhi (Italian, 1702 - 1785)

The Concert (1741)
Oil on canvas
Gallerie dell'Accademia, Venice
you do realize that Cortez didn't land in Mexico until 1519 and so according to the AKC history those couldn't possibly be chihuahuas in the Boticelli & Carpaccio paintings

Doberluv

you do realize that Cortez didn't land in Mexico until 1519 and so according to the AKC history those couldn't possibly be chihuahuas in the Boticelli & Carpaccio paintings
That's why I wrote: "And of course, like most, they've gone through changes to one degree or another."

The Chihuahua has a speculative history, a lot of theory involved... and modern type Chihuahuas aren't likely all that old.
It is believed that the breed descended from the Techichi, a small canine that dates back to Mayan times (around the 5th century AD).
http://www.vipchihuahua.com/history.htm
Did you ever wonder where the smallest dogs in the world came from? The history of the Chihuahua dates back to ancient Mexico. They were believed to be sacred and they have never forgotten this.

Much of the Chihuahua's history is speculation and theory, although everyone agrees on some matters. The Chihuahua is named for the Mexican State that borders Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico. It is believed that the breed descended from the Techichi, a small canine that dates back to Mayan times (around the 5th century AD).

The Toltecs (the people that conquered the Mayans) are believed to be the first to domesticate the Techichi and brought the canine into the home as pets and also used them for religious purposes. After the Aztecs became the ruling class of Mexico, they also used the dog as a companion and in religious ceremonies. This has been learned due to the writings in Mayan, Toltec, and Aztec writings in tombs, temples, and pyramids. Also, remains of the small dogs were found in graves in both Mexico and the United States so this could back up the religious theory.

The dogs were found in the state of Chihuahua in 1850 in old ruins near Casas Grandes, and are thought to be the ruins of the palace built by Emperor Montezuma I. The relics and remains of the Techichi indicate that the breed was longhaired and mute, very different from the modern Chihuahua. The Aztec wealthy and clergy thought the Techichi to be sacred while the lower class had little use for the dogs and sometimes used them as food.

When the explorers arrived in the New World it is believed the Techichi breed with a dog that was brought over and the result is the Chihuahua that we have today. The tiny modern day Chihuahua has gone through many changes and become very popular since their discovery. The American Kennel Club first registered the Chihuahua as a breed in 1904. Color variations are limited only by the imagination. The smooth coated variety is still the most publicly recognized, but the long-coat variety has increased in numbers and popularity. Chihuahuas are a long lived breed, often achieving 16 or more years of age.

Found this image in an old book, was always suspicious it was a Beauceron, until someone elsewhere posted the entire photo (uncropped) and you can see her dew claws.

This was strangely in "the complete Belgian Tervuren"

And here are some dogs WAY back in Enda's pedigree

Loustic de Champerret

Tan de la Casa Mozza (want that collar!)

Stop du Fief Royal

Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Well of coarse we all know the Queen.

On the right "Dookie" and on the left "Jane"

One of the most famous breeding lines at the start of the "Corgi boom", breeder of both Pems and Cardi's (most breeders had both at the time), Rozavel.

"Red dragon"

Rozavel Jack the ripper

The first Corgi registered by the kennel club, Rose

More here if you want to browse through-
http://www.jones-rees.co.uk/jones-rees/pembrokeshire/index.htm

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger

One of Knox's great-great-ect relatives. From the 1950s, V Armin vom Salon

Another, from 1934, V Nestor vom Wiegerfelsen

And one from 1921, Remo von der Secretainerie

V Alex vom Westfalenheim, from 1914, I would take a dog like this in a heartbeat.

A female from 1911, Flora (Berkemeyer)

One of my favorites in his pedigree. I love how this dog looks.
2X VA1 Roland von Starkenburg from 1903

And then of course,

2X VA1 Hektor von Schwaben, 1898

And V Horand von Grafrath, 1895

happyhound

I collect vintage GSP and shepherd type dog photos, so this is just a few of my collection..

Late 1800s

Late 1800s

I didn't scan this one myself..

Collies aren't even a breed I'd like to own but I loved this photo anyways..

Members online

No members online now.