Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-18-2012, 10:29 AM
We are Home.

Stardogs my first nurse encouraged me to move as I wanted since I had no epidural just FYI last 2 didnt but I got the epi with them and it was a safety issue.

I know that ours always encouraged birth balls and the first hospital even had one. But my best experience with my births was midwife and if we were going to have more that would be the way I go midwife and doula in a OB clinic and hospital natural as possible birth.
I ended up with them with Savannah because I planned for HOURSSSSSS more and couldnt do the hip pain and thought it would help lol.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 08-18-2012, 10:34 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

yep same with my hospital. they had birthing balls, a tub (I don't want to call it a birthing tub because you can't actually give birth in that one but it's a place with warm water where you can go sit and relax), rocking chairs, all kinds of stuff. I didn't use any of it. I was content to sit in bed all day lol.

I did need monitors on me from the start. due to low fluid they were concerned about the cord wrapping around her neck and without the nessecary fluid there may not be enough lubrication to keep it loose (if that makes sense... I can't think of the correct words lol). but even still I was encouraged to get up, go sit on the ball or the rockinng chair or whatever.

I did actually use the rocking chair for a bit. Parked it in front of the TV and watched Americas Funniest Home Videos lol. Good old mindless humor

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

A lot of c sections result from a failed induction. We see soooooo many people that are sick and tired of being pregnant and want to be induced. They start begging for inductions at 35 weeks gestation!! You would be amazed at how many of these mothers to be have been fully informed of the dangers to the baby being delivered premature and they still demand an induction. It angers me that some of these moms put their own selfishness above the health and safety of the baby just because they don't want to be pregnant anymore

They don't induce at 35 weeks at our hospital unless there is a medical reason to. However.... when a patient whines and cries and complains long enough to the doctor... they usually get their wishes around 38 weeks. Studies have shown that a baby born before 40 weeks can suffer effects of a premature baby. They now have a category called "the late preterm baby" these are the babies that typically fall in the 35 to 38 weeks gestation. Sometimes those babies can be far more difficult because they are full size and appear to be full term but are having premature lung issues.

When a woman's body is not ready to deliver her baby yet, all the pitocin in the world isn't going to make it happen. Babies do much better when mom goes into labor on her own. Her body is going through the steps necessary for a good labor pattern from her body's response to labor. Pitocin is sometimes necessary to help achieve strong effective contractions... but when it's used soley to induce, it doesn't always work. So then you have an exhausted mom who's been laboring for hours and hours with no real result with an effective labor pattern or dilitation of her cervix.

Another reason c sections are at a high is because those involved.... get impatient. I hate to see a c section be the result of someone being impatient. It's not the way God intended our babies to be birthed and it's more difficult for the baby as far as their respiratory status because they are not squeezed down the birth canal to get that excess amniotic fluid out prior to their first breath.

I think c sections are warranted in emergency situations or when a vaginal birth is just not going to happen without endangering the safety or health of mom or baby. Sometimes people forget that a c section is major abdominal surgery. They cut through all the layers of your muscles to get to your uterus. Recovery can be rough... especially when you're caring for a newborn.

Facebook link to Nancys creations:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Nan...28615003818171
Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Obey the Toad.

I'm leaning toward hospital birth with no drugs and minimal intervention. I really hope there is a tub there-I like being in the water. I'm put off by the potential side effects of an epidural and the idea of having major abdominal surgery while AWAKE terrifies me--that is something I would never just opt for out of convenience.

Human birth seems particularly gross and horrible in general though--I much prefer horse birth.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Behavior Nerd

Nancy, I hear you there - I can't imagine what goes through the minds of people who choose to induce early without any indications for doing it!

Unfortunately, sometimes it's the docs who want to induce - my BFF started getting pressure from her OB to induce at 38 weeks when she was 37 weeks along. She said there were no indications for induction and she was fine being pregnant full term but the doc kept asking her if she'd rather just "get it over with"! o.O

Old 08-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Obey the Toad.

When a friend of mine had her first (who is now in 6th grade) she was asked as soon as it was confirmed she was pregnant if she wanted to schedule a csection right then or is she was wanting a vaginal birth.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
When a friend of mine had her first (who is now in 6th grade) she was asked as soon as it was confirmed she was pregnant if she wanted to schedule a csection right then or is she was wanting a vaginal birth.
We only were thinking csection because of my safety and hers. We u/s'd before we made our choice though (she came the day of the u/s because at 37 weeks I was dilated 5 cm.) then had a bp of 140/90

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Yeah I am a little put off by the idea of scheduling a C section when there is no history of birth problems. I personally feel those should be reserved for emergencies or prior history of C sections due to emergency.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Top Dog

I have to be careful what I say...lol after all, i do work with ob docs with my job. But it's definately NOT always the patient that grows impatient..lol I suggest to people that if they want the most natural birth possible... discuss that in your very first appointment. Research the hospital or birthing center you want to deliver at. See if they are attentive to the patients wishes. I know at our hospital we try to cater to the patient and their wishes. If a mom truly wants a natural birth... no one should force her to get medications or have any interventions that are not necessary. It is possible to deliver your baby in a hospital setting with the most minimal interventions I just think it's the safer choice.

Facebook link to Nancys creations:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Nan...28615003818171
Old 08-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Top Dog

My mom had a natural birth but it was horrible. She was in a hospital but I was a giant 10 lb baby and they ended up having to cut her to get me out and they only gave her very very minimal pain reliever.

She said that wasn't the worst part though, because she had to get stitches from giving birth, she said that was very difficult to heal and she was in intense pain for about 2 weeks.

In the end she said if she ever had another baby, which she didn't. She'd definitely opt for C-section. We know a lot of people that have done it and it's a small opening, only a few stitches and heals with almost no scarring.

I don't want a baby so lucky I won't have to decide so soon but I think at this point I'm leaning towards C-section.

My aunt had 1 C-section and 1 natural birth with pain relief and she said she didn't have a preference either way.

I feel like the people that choose natural birth are very brave but I'd hate to have my mom's experience considering all the babies in our family have been 8-10 lbs and some were breech.