Natural and home birth and un natural hospital births

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
so all this baby talk has made me watch a documetry on home births vs hospital births on netflix and it was super interesting. One huge thing I noticed was how the mothers looked after giving birth. The mothers who gave birth naturally looked amazing, compared to the women who have birth unnaturally with drugs and what not. One thing that was really pressed in ths documentr was how the amount of c-sections is rising. And the amount of women choosing c-sections.

I know that each woman is different and there is no wrong or right way, its just whats right for you and your baby. But I though it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

oh and the documentry I watched was the buisness being born.
so GO!

Paige

Let it be
I had a hospital birth with no medication due to progressing so fast. They were going to send me home as I showed up still only 3 cms dilated (was 3cms dilated for weeks before hand) but my mom talked them into letting me stay. I progressed to 10cms 3 hours later and didn't even really push for the last hour of labor. Briggs just made his own way out into this world. I didn't cry. He didn't cry. We both were very peaceful. I wanted a natural birth anyways but I didn't even get the choice for pain relief due to how they didn't think I'd have him that fast.

It was beautiful and I am hoping this time goes the same.

Me in labor.

Right after he was born.

I'm not one to impose my birthing experience on others. We all do it differently. We all have different needs and wants. Sometimes things come up that are out of our control. I found natural birth to be VERY impowering but that doesnt' mean it's any less impowering to birth in another way .

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I watched The Business of Being Born before I got pregnant... I was like "Wow! How awesome! Natural birth is the way to go. Luckily I'll never have to choose, as I'm never going to have kids. :)" Then I got pregnant and thought about everything that could go wrong. The excruciating pain. The ripping, the blood loss, the bodily fluids, the stress and fear! However I would NEVER elect to get a c-section. To me, having stitches across my stomach and recovering from surgery is much scarier than giving birth. I think a lot of women do that just because they think their vagina will be ruined, lol! But I'm pretty sure vaginas were made to give birth to babies.

I am definitely going to a hospital to give birth. No doubt. This is the biggest, most health endangering, most extreme procedure I've ever experienced... there's no way I'm going to do it in my bathtub and just hope it goes smoothly. My family has a history of big ol' babies. My sister, even though she's a fit little model, had her son induced and is getting induced for her daughter because her babies would be 11+ pounds full term! I don't want to risk the safety of me or my baby. I know people have done it at home without meds for thousands of years, but people also got their teeth pulled with pliers and liquor for thousands of years, and many women and/or babies DIED during childbirth.

I definitely admire women who are brave enough to do it naturally & med-free! Personally, I feel that we have modern medicine for a reason. It's a great thing. I'm going to plan on getting an epidural, and wait until I'm in the process of labor to see if I need it or if there's time. My sister got an epidural 2 out of 3 times. With her second, the epidural didn't work and then there was no time to do another one. I saw her in excruciating pain... and my sister is tough, and had very smooth labors, but she was crying & screaming. I don't want to go through that if I don't have to. -___- Call me a little bitch if you want!

If I was going to have kids - I'd book into a private clinic if I had the means; and me sufficiently doped up on painkillers galore and maybe even a drink or two. I understand cutting back major consumption of alcohol during a pregnancy - but NONE at all? My mom's mom never drank a drop and all her kids turned out...well, not great. A friend of mine's mom did have the occasional cocktail or red wine when she was pregnant with her - and they have a wonderful, loving, happy family with pretty spectacular individuals - of course there's so much more to do with those factors but I'm just saying lol.

Childbirth horrifies me personally (no offense to any chazzer mom's or mom's to be) - it's something I never want to go through and I want kids in my life even less. So if I had to go through with it - I think I'd want to be as "far away" mentally and consciously from that situation as possible.

Paige

Let it be
The pain while being in labor for me was like nothing I ever experienced. I had no control over it. It wouldn't go away. It was intense... and yet I knew it was because Briggs was coming on down the birth canal and making his way out. I remember telling the nurse I thought his head was coming out and she didn't even take me seriously until I told her I was pushing either way. Turns out I was right. Knowing it had a purpose and it was all apart of the experience, a healthy pain was enough to get through it. I had a short labor though so I am not one to judge. 12+ hours of that doesn't sound too fun.

Also... the relief I had when his head came out and he slid out after was better than an orgasm. I'm not denying myself of that amazing experience again.

Romy

Taxiderpy
It's painful, but a really amazing neat feeling at the same time.

My first was unmedicated in a birth center with midwives. It was hard work but not as bad as I imagined. You get to rest in between contractions, so it's not a constant pain.

The second was in a hospital with midwives. I'm REALLY glad I went with the hospital that time. They had to induce me because I was way overdue, and there was meconium in the fluid, and his heart rate kept dropping. He got stuck on the way out and had the umbilical cord around his neck, and I started hemorrhaging. We both would have died if I'd tried having him at home. I knew that it was going to be harder though, it was a complicated pregnancy from the beginning.

I can say with the second, there wasn't painkillers there either. Something switched in my brain after a bit so I didn't feel it any more, I was just exhausted then and needed to focus on pushing so they could get him out and get him started breathing.

They both turned out awesome. I'm really glad I have them. It was totally worth it. :)

ETA: And Paige holy wow! You looked amazing!!! Can I just send you a hi five for how awesome you are? I hope things go just as well for you this time around. :)

nancy2394

Okay.... This is just my opinion.... Being that I am a nicu nurse and have attended many many deliveries over the years. I can tell u that home births would not be worth the risk for me. They are too dangerous. I can totally understand the whole concept of them .... But there are just way too many things that can go wrong in an instant. Just because a woman has a healthy uneventful pregnancy and is full term does NOT mean she will have an uneventful delivery. I personally would never recommend anyone to have a baby where there wasn't an equipped hospital with a nicu team.

I've attended several deliveries where there was nothing wrong with the baby until the baby came down the birth canal and aspirated a mouth full of amniotic fluid on the way out with the first breath and ended up in respiratory distress within minutes of being born. And some of them got so bad they had to spend time in the nicu on a vent. I can honestly tell u that there have been many deliveries I have attended that had it not been for immediate medical attention.... Mom, baby or both would have died.

We have plenty of moms that come in and still achieve a "natural" delivery with little or no medical interventions. They don't have to receive narcotics or an epidural if they don't want. I know at our hospital.... Staff will enable the birthing mom to acquire a natural delivery to the best of our ability as long as mom and baby are tolerating it. If an emergency arises.... Alternatives sometimes have to be quickly discussed and implemented

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
The idea of giving birth scares me... and totally irrationally, more because I'm petrified of pooing myself :D

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I agree, Nancy. I cannot even imagine being rushed to the hospital in an ambulance or trying to get to a car with a baby coming out in the middle of an emergency... so scary. My friend keeps saying "Why would you have a baby in a hospital? That's where you go when you're sick!" Umm, having a baby is a much bigger deal than having the flu. To me at least. I'd like to hear her say that when/if she's about to have a baby.

LOL Stephy, I wonder if they let you take shots in labor? I would probably vom. :eek: I haven't drank at all, even before I realized I was pregnant, but that's because I just don't find anything appealing about it right now. I think I've naturally developed a disgust for alcohol and smoke.

Wow Paige. You look like you're relaxing on the beach, not having a baby! But you're far more badass than me in countless aspects.

The idea of giving birth scares me... and totally irrationally, more because I'm petrified of pooing myself :D
Me too! I guess it's kind of immature to care that much, but omg, I hope this doesn't happen. My sisters didn't so I'm hoping it's a trend for us.

IMO natural birth means a whole lot more then just no drugs. The position the hospital puts you in its self is not natural along with many other things. I have many Midwife and Doula friends I have learned from that have been doing it for many many years with no trouble. I hate the fact I wasnt able to deliver naturally I wanted a water birth so badly but I had many complications during my pregnancy preeclampsia not being the least of which. So I ended up having an emergency C-section and still almost died. I dont plan on getting pregnant again for a REALLY long time but if my pregnancy goes better and everything pans out I will have a water birth with one of the finest midwifes in the US (only slightly Bias on that haha)

Oh and Im so jealous how you looked after giving birth! I am so glad there are no pictures of me I saw my self in the mirror after words I looks like death! :p

nancy2394

I agree, Nancy. I cannot even imagine being rushed to the hospital in an ambulance or trying to get to a car with a baby coming out in the middle of an emergency... so scary. My friend keeps saying "Why would you have a baby in a hospital? That's where you go when you're sick!" Umm, having a baby is a much bigger deal than having the flu. To me at least. I'd like to hear her say that when/if she's about to have a baby.

LOL Stephy, I wonder if they let you take shots in labor? I would probably vom. :eek: I haven't drank at all, even before I realized I was pregnant, but that's because I just don't find anything appealing about it right now. I think I've naturally developed a disgust for alcohol and smoke.

Wow Paige. You look like you're relaxing on the beach, not having a baby! But you're far more badass than me in countless aspects.

Me too! I guess it's kind of immature to care that much, but omg, I hope this doesn't happen. My sisters didn't so I'm hoping it's a trend for us.
people try to sneak drinks and food during their labor when they're only suppose to have ice chips.... we do that for a reason...lol EVERY SINGLE time someone does that, they vomit. And when they do, we just smile and remind them that they were only suppose to have ice chips..lol A lot of women tend to vomit when they get to the last stage of labor. Another reason we only allow ice chips is for the emergency factor. If an emergency happened and they had to do an immediate c-section (and it happens) they don't want anything in your belly because if they had to intubate mom during the surgery.... the risk for aspiration would be significant.

LindaJD

I had different experiences with all 3 of my children. The 1st was all natural, the second was c-section and the third I had an epidural. If I ever had another it would be hands down epidural. With the epidural I enjoyed the experience so much more. We were laughing and joking with the Dr. as the baby was delivered and I wasn't exhausted afterwards. I enjoyed the baby more, because I wasn't so tired. I had no side effects and much more energy. I had the choice of having a c-section, but I remembered how sore I was for a week after the last one and wanted to avoid that if possible.
Everybody is different every labor is different. Whatever a woman chooses, the most important thing is the end result and what we all want the most is a healthy baby.

nancy2394

Oh dizzy... this was one of my fears. When that baby is coming down the birth canal, and you are having to "push" the baby out... you are literally pushing with all your strength to get the baby out. It's the same "pushing" you would do if you were trying to have a bowel movement. So... if you have poop in your colon, it's gonna come out..lol

I didn't know until years after I had my daughter that I pooped a little "nugget" when I was pushing and Tj reached over and grabbed it with his BARE hands when the doctor turned around to get something :yikes: I asked him what he did with it once he grabbed it and he said "I put it in my pocket" ewwwwww And I'll bet he didn't wash his hands either because I don't remember him leaving my side! When I asked him why he would do such a nasty thing, he said "you were so worried about pooping and I didn't want you to be embarrassed"

It happens, most of the time the momma doesn't have a clue she's even doing it because she's so caught up in the moment. When they do poop during child birth, the doctor or nurse (whoever is right there at the moment) is very quick to be discreet and wipe it away immediately.

jenv101

Bite Club
I agree that everyone is different and we all just have to do what is most comfortable for us and in the best interests of ourselves and the baby. I've been doing a lot of research on this topic lately, I've seen that video and I have a bunch of books I'm reading right now on natural childbirth. I am seeing a Midwife and I have the option of home or hospital birth with her. So, I haven't fully decided yet. It will obviously depend on how things go and how we are doing closer to the time of birth. The bonus is that I live literally 3 blocks from the hospital so I am more comfortable in that it would only take us like 1-2 minutes to get there if something did happen. Also I do know that midwives bring with them an arsenal of medical supplies and are prepared for resuscitation and a lot of minor complications, and they are fully capable and qualified to handle them in the home.

My ideal birth at this point in time is a home water birth. It's very appealing to me. So we'll see how things go! I also need to actually go to the hospital birth centre, tour around, and talk to my midwife about how things go there, and how accommodating they would be if I were to go there and want to still do things naturally.

There is so much info to take in right now! I want to be fully informed about all of my options both naturally and medically just in case. It is a bit intimidating and scary when it's your first, just fear of the unknown I guess. But I am gaining a lot of confidence in my body and it's ability to do this the way it was designed to through my research.

Anyways, great topic! :) Love hearing everyone's viewpoints!

darkchild16

We are Home.
I've attended several deliveries where there was nothing wrong with the baby until the baby came down the birth canal and aspirated a mouth full of amniotic fluid on the way out with the first breath and ended up in respiratory distress within minutes of being born. And some of them got so bad they had to spend time in the nicu on a vent.

That happened to Savannah. We had a 5 hr birth (from water breaking to out) only trouble was she liked my pelvic bone. They didnt have a chance for me to actually hold her until she was prepped for the severe NICU (the best in the area). They didnt even really have time to explain what was going on, size her or anything she was still covered in vernix (i think thats what the white stuff is called). She spent a week in NICU 2 days on vents and 2 more on CPAP. (if i remember correctly)

My last two hospital births COULD have been water births fyi. Both rooms had a birthing tub in every room and wont medicate until you ask. I may as well have been with Savannah because it never helped with the real pain of her head on my pelvic bone LOL.

FWIW I did want a birth cottage birth with Savannah I even talked to them but they wouldnt take me with my propr issues. I ended up with placenta previa, anemia, hyperemesis (extreme morning sickness), high blood pressure, dehydration, and started having signs of preeclampsia all with Savannah. Needless to say Savannah is IT lol.

Last edited:

nancy2394

I am just playing devils advocate here... mostly because i've seen this happen more than once. If you are only a few blocks from the hospital and you are having a home birth... the baby's head delivers but the shoulders won't because there is shoulder dystocia. That few minutes it takes to get to the hospital for an emergency delivery can make all the difference in the world for a live birth. Those have been some of the most scary deliveries i've been to. Or what happens if as the baby is coming out and they aspirate meconium and need to be intubated BEFORE they take their first breath? Midwives are wonderful... but they specialize in taking care of the mother, not the baby. I work with midwives all the time... and there is a lot they can not do in emergency situations. They are wonderful and attentive to the laboring mother when labor and delivery is going as expected. Yes, they are trained in emergencies.. but how often do they actually participate in reviving a newborn? It's kind of like me having to be trained to intubate, but it's not something i'd have to do in my scope of my job...

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Personally, I would go to a hospital. I would try to do as much med-free as possible while I'm still below my pain threshold but.. I am not taking the risk of a home-birth if me having children is ever an option. Too many things can wrong and I appreciate having the doctors/facilities/equipment necessary around if something DID go wrong.

I met a mother once who lost a child on the way to the hospital when her home birth went wrong. It wasn't her fault, wasn't the mid-wifes fault, wasn't anyones fault.. but the look in her eyes as she told me how much she wished she was in a hospital where that baby could've been treated was a kind of sadness/anguish I never EVER EVER want to experience.
I've also met mothers who have had peaceful great home-births and wouldn't consider it any other way.
It's a very personal decision that relies on so many factors.

BUT I will say this. I do think it's a tad irresponsible to plan to do a home-birth in the MIDDLE of nowhere if you aren't even reasonable driving distance from a hospital. Sometime things go wrong.. there needs to be an emergency plan.

Me? I like hospitals.I like how clean they are. I like the doctors. I like the drugs lol

Oh and C-SECTION ALL THE WAY. Now they kind of make an insicion and then push the baby out like toothpaste. The scarring is minimal, recovery time isn't too bad. and best of all.. YAY FOR MY VAJAYJAY

lol I once attended a c-section party. We got mani/pedis and then all went to the hospital together, it was over in a few hours..everyone was happy lol

Now her tummy looks great, you can barely see the scar.. and the baby came out all cute and unsquished! lol

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Hospital birth here. went in for an ultrasound (I was overdue so they just wanted to check on her size... they were surprisingly accurate... only 2 oz off) My fluid was low (turns out that was an even bigger deal than we thought but not for the reason they were concerned about) so they decided to send me up and have me induced that morning.

I was induced at 10 am. slow and steady. I didn't feel my first contraction until about 4 pm. Things were progressing quite slowly. The contractions slowly got a little worse and a little worse. Finally around 7 pm I asked for the epidural. the pain wasn't very bad by that point or anything but I knew before going in I wanted the epidural and at that time I felt it was a good time to get it and they gave it to me.

After that things started happening a lot faster. I was relaxed so my body did what it needed to do without me fighting it. We sat around, watched tv, surfed the net, posted on chaz lol. It was very laid back and relaxed. Around midnight the epidural started to wear off just as the Doc said it would. When it came time to push the epidural was no longer effective and the doc told me that was their goal. The epidural was only to get me through the contractions not to get me through pushing. so I pushed with full feeling but you are SO busy in that moment that it isn't really that bad. Yeah there was a lot of noise coming from me between pushes. I hesitate to say screaming because it wasn't really like I was screaming in pain. I was just hollering out because it was exhausting.

18 minutes later Hannah was born. no muss no fuss and I don't think I look that bad. this photo was 5-10 minutes after she was born.

I was allowed to have juice and italian ice and even some applesauce throughout my labor.

I can also assure you ladies... if you do poop... you won't even know it. you will have absolutely no idea if you did or not. I have no idea if I did.

my labor was smooth and easy it was the days that followed that made me really happy that I gave birth in the hospital. After the birth the doc sent my placenta for tests. two days later Hannah had Pneumonia and ended up with a one week Nicu stay... at that same time my placenta came back with two infections in two different layers. so the doctors knew exactly what they were dealing with and why. I was SO glad I was still at the hospital when they discovered she was having difficulty breathing otherwise she would have gotten a lot sicker before I figured out something was wrong with her.

I also wouldn't do a home birth because I don't want to be responsible for the clean up lol.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I am just playing devils advocate here... mostly because i've seen this happen more than once. If you are only a few blocks from the hospital and you are having a home birth... the baby's head delivers but the shoulders won't because there is shoulder dystocia. That few minutes it takes to get to the hospital for an emergency delivery can make all the difference in the world for a live birth. Those have been some of the most scary deliveries i've been to. Or what happens if as the baby is coming out and they aspirate meconium and need to be intubated BEFORE they take their first breath? Midwives are wonderful... but they specialize in taking care of the mother, not the baby. I work with midwives all the time... and there is a lot they can not do in emergency situations. They are wonderful and attentive to the laboring mother when labor and delivery is going as expected. Yes, they are trained in emergencies.. but how often do they actually participate in reviving a newborn? It's kind of like me having to be trained to intubate, but it's not something i'd have to do in my scope of my job...
I will say I only had a midwife attend my birth with Savannah and she was GREAT!!!!!! She did help the nursing staff with Savannah until NICU got there She was FAR better then any OB i have EVER had. She actually LISTENED to me and let me pace my induction the best she could, didnt do ANYTHING I felt uncomfortable with. After I had her and didnt need pain meds after they didnt make me feel silly for it like the mother/baby nurses did. When we thought Savannah was going to be csectioned (no one wanted my vaginally birthing any bigger then 8 lb) they simply said we will be there for you and your husband in the OR. They never made me feel less then because I contemplated csection they supported me and empowered ME to make the choice. It was nice to have BOTH ob and midwife in the office.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
When all my friends started having kids I started researching, too, Hayley! I figure it's a huge life experience, why not research it *before* I have a real deadline. LOL

Personally, I know I'm going to lean toward drug-free, un-induced labor if at all possible because the cascade of interventions that can happen, especially those that tie you to the bed, sound super unpleasant to me.

Location will be determined closer to "go time" - I'd like a homebirth but may look into birth center birth because I do like the advantages of "hospital adjacent" if something happens. I know DH would prefer hospital, but it would have to be a VERY mom and baby friendly hospital (with a C-sec rate way lower than the US average of 30+%) for me to feel comfortable with that for an uncomplicated pregnancy. I'll def be using a midwife unless there's risk factors that require an OB.

One of the things I KNOW I'll be doing to reduce my desire/need for meds in birth is taking a good birth class, not sure what method, but so far I've looked into Hypnobabies, the Bradley Method, and several others. It seems like a class geared toward sharing info *and* emphacizing options for coping would be a great foundation - I hear of so many people who don't do *any* preparation that it boggles my mind, but I know I'm a research freak.

Because I want to set myself up for success as much as possible, I'm working on overhauling my diet and improving my fitness before I even get pregnant - I've been told that having a baby is like running a marathon and the fitter you are the better, so I'm running with that (pun intended lol).

I know that there is always the possibility of problems and events that may change ones options for birthing (a friend of mine wanted to go drug free but her daughter decided to arrive 6 weeks early, so obviously all of those plans went out the window, and there's nothing wrong with that - she has a wonderful, healthy daughter now :) ), but being informed about alllll the options out there is really important in my opinion. :)

Here are some of my fav resources and blogs on drug-free birth:

Books/DVDs
(I found both books at the local library!)

DVD: "The Business of Being Born" - documentary on birth in america. About 90 minutes in length and I found it very informative. Available on netflix streaming.

Book: "BabyCatcher" - great, relatively easy read about the life of a midwife. I found it incredibly educational while also being entertaining.

Book: "Pushed" - book on modern american maternity care. Lots of great research-based info, but could be a bit startling for someone who is looking at birth in the near future because it does point out the flaws in the system.

Websites

http://wonderfullymadebelliesandbabies.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-not-to-read_4036.html - "What *Not* To Read When You're Expecting" (various reading suggestions based on your current feelings about birth)

http://www.yourbirthright.com/ - source of *free* telecourses on various pregnancy/birth topics.

http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.c...th_stories.htm - positive birth stories of all kinds.

http://www.hypnobirthing.clairebushell.co.uk/ - info on the HypnoBirthing method.

http://bringbirthhome.com/ - extensive site on all things homebirth.

Blogs

http://atyourcervix.blogspot.com/ - L&D nurse's perspective on birth.

http://www.scienceandsensibility.org/?p=663#more-663 - research-based blog from Lamaze International

http://www.theunnecesarean.com/ - blog striving to reduce unneccesary ceseareans by educating consumers; also publishes c-section rates for states in the US.

http://thefeministbreeder.com/ - much more extreme blog than what I usually gravitate toward, but I do find it very interesting and she has a great VBAC story IIRC.

http://obnurse35yrs.wordpress.com/ - another L&D nurse's perspective.

http://enjoybirth.wordpress.com/ - hypnobabies instructor, mother, etc. blogging about all things birth.

http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/ - one of my fav blogs, but I don't know exactly why...LOL. The author did a dissertation on unassisted child birth, so a bit more extreme natural birth than my own preferences, but I find it fascinating.

http://nursingbirth.com/ - a fairly slow blog written by a nurse. The "Don't Let This Happen to You" series is what started my odyssey into birth education, but can be a bit overwhelming in and of itself, though I found it quite educational.

http://birthingbeautifulideas.com/ - doula authored blog.

http://crunchydomesticgoddess.com/ - The name says it all!

http://momstinfoilhat.wordpress.com/ - mom in medical school. A bit more snarky than some of the other blogs, but the perspective she has is very interesting.

Members online