Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

The dad is my dream dog! <3 And I'm not usually a fan of red Merle but OMG that mom! So gorgeous! I can't wait to see babies!!!

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 07-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Congrats! I hope you get some flavor of red, merle or no! I love red Aussies. Are you getting a boy or girl? And are you gonna do any showing/competing in addition to service dog work?

And I'm pro-dewclaws LOL. Tails I could go either way about but I like me some front dew claws and having seen tons and tons of mixes with their front dews on at daycare, and only having 1 (out of literally hundreds) get injured, I think that MOST dogs' dewclaws are well attached.

I'm not like opposed to removing them for ethical reasons or anything, but personally I like my dogs to have theirs and I can tell you they use them all. the. time. Cardis' dews are traditionally removed but Keeva's breeder left 'em on and Keeva says thanks First Mom, now I can hump New Mom's leg even better. I've also seen her use them to turn, and they stay pretty well worn down which is just further proof they get good use. So yeah, I think it's cool she's leaving dews on and I doubt you'll have any trouble with them.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Little dog, big voice

Gorgeous! I absolutely love the mom, back when I was looking into getting an Aussie (before my mom changed her mind), I was looking at Oracle Aussies and she was the one who caught my eye. I can't wait for pictures and I'm sure you're just beyond yourself with excitement!

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

I am so excited to see your puppy, Fran! The parents are both so gorgeous. I hope you get a little red (of any kind) puppy, too. I love red so much.

As for the dewclaws, they're kind of a pain to trim (awkward angle and I have a squirmy dog), but otherwise I haven't had a problem with any of the dogs I've had with dewclaws. My grandma's one dog did tear his twice and then had to have them removed, but overall I don't feel that that's the norm. I've had a fair amount of dogs with dews and none of mine ever had a problem. Not all of them used their dews very much, but a couple did.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 07-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Chihuahua Power!

The parents are both gorgeous! I can't wait to see puppy pics!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

All of my dogs have their dewclaws, and the Aussie mix is the only one I wish didn't He injures his quite a bit, but I think it's also because they see a lot of use when we're playing with the ball and frisbee. Knox regularly runs the backs of his rear feet raw (on GRASS, good lord) and reminds me of Steve a lot lol.

Oz though, has nearly ripped his dews off a couple times. If I'm throwing it on anything but a springy grassy surface he wears skid boots.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:29 AM
Top Dog

One of the vets and I have discussed dewclaws...of all the toenail injuries we've seen over the years, none have been dewclaws. Some of my dogs have dews, some don't. I don't have a preference either way. I'd never had my dog's dews removed as an adult though..which is really common here for some reason.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:33 AM
...ice road...

My dogs have their dewclaws. The sighthounds use them to take down prey. I don't see any reason to remove them. I did have a dog who tore hers off constantly... but it was never a problem.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Top Dog

Logan has his dews and has never injure them. They do get in the way of boots, but that's only a minor inconvenience. There was an article around here on the benefits of dewclaws and/or the detriments of removing them, but I'm dying from lack of lsepp and can't evne begin t otry to find it at this point.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Top Dog

Congrats Fran! I'm so happy for you that you finally found a puppy. The parents are gorgeous. I bet you're beside yourself with excitement. I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures when you get yours. Is this going to be your service dog?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson