Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-07-2015, 09:55 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
No doubt!

My second set of 6 poles arrived today so I have a full 12. Yeah, no problems. She was fast and didn't miss poles. Her problem recently has been that once she starts going fast, she's so long that she'll miss one and do every other. But the fact that she did these fine makes me wonder if the spacing is off on other poles we've seen. These ones are "standard" 24" spacing, but I know some clubs still have old equipment so maybe they have narrower spacing....
Even if they have old equipment with old spacing they're not allowed to use it in trials. The switch was long enough ago that they aren't approved even on a grandfathered basis anymore.

Sometimes it's just the day, perhaps a little stiffness? Nothing to cause pain but enough that the bending isn't as easy for her that particular time. Same as us, occasionally we are a little less bendy than usual for no particular reason. Also she IS still a rather green dog if i'm thinking correctly, the proper timing will come and become more consistent. She's a large dog, while sighthounds ARE bendy, she's still big and it takes a bit for all dogs to get their rhythm consistently.

ATChC Izzie RA AGIS AGJIS CGN
Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Sport Model Pug

Izzie is entered in Regionals, this will be her third year attending

Entries aren't closed yet but already has some tough competition in her division! Gotta defend her podium spot from last year!!!

ATChC Izzie RA AGIS AGJIS CGN
Old 04-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Sometimes it's just the day, perhaps a little stiffness? Nothing to cause pain but enough that the bending isn't as easy for her that particular time. Same as us, occasionally we are a little less bendy than usual for no particular reason. Also she IS still a rather green dog if i'm thinking correctly, the proper timing will come and become more consistent. She's a large dog, while sighthounds ARE bendy, she's still big and it takes a bit for all dogs to get their rhythm consistently.
Who knows. She's been doing great on her weave poles here at home, it's just in class and trials. I wonder if the sand footing has something to do with it. Her weaves were pretty darn good today at our trial though.

Got our first Gamble Q on a tough (I thought) Starters course. And silly dog NQ'd herself on the last obstacle in an otherwise beautiful Steeplechase. Oh, and I got 5 for profanity in Standard when the cheeky bugger decided that, instead of calling off the tunnel that she blew by the table for, she would take the tunnel anyway, and I yelled (very lightheartedly) "Oh, you little ****!" (which was met with a huge roar of laughter from the other competitors).

Oh yeah, and fun fact... you only need TWO Q's in the games classes... which means I've been running Kili in Starter Jumpers for no good reason for the past 4 months. ha ha. Oops!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 04-13-2015, 07:11 AM
I'm All Ears

So we did a TDAA ring rental with some friends.

He did good.

TERRIFIED of the teeter. Ugh terrified. Of course there has to be ONE thing he hates. lol We need a game plan for this.

Everything else though? Weaves, chute, etc was great.

He runs so fast and hits the TDAA tunnels so hard that he kept removing the tunnel bags simply from running through them. And he also took down the ring gate by charging through it. Yeah... I'm not so sure if TDAA will be his thing. I always said he would probably demolish the course and he definitely did. He's more than small enough to run though within their height measurements.

Hank - (approx. 1 year old Spotty Dog)
Mia CGC - (6 year old Papillon)
Summer TG3 TIAD - (11 year old Papillon)
Old 04-19-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm All Ears

11 years old and still rocking it! I love this dog so much. <3

Standard- NQ

I actually realized on re-watch that she thought I was picking her up at the pink tunnel so was trying to 'ready' herself for it. Also the shrieking when we are around the teeter is Hank.

Full house- 3rd and Q

We had so much fun.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Last night I sent a long-ish e-mail to a trainer who is overseas briefly explaining Payton. I read about this guy in Clean Run and started investigating and the more I found about him, the more I was positive if anyone can help us, it's him. I wasn't sure if he would do it, but I asked.

This morning I woke up to a wonderful response where he is so kind, so encouraging, and best of all, says yes, he is pretty sure he can help us.

I feel positive about Payton's future in agility for the first time in weeks. Pretty sure I am about to spend so much money, but better to spend money and fix it than to just keep setting money on fire at trials.

So so so excited.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ NF CGC
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
This morning I woke up to a wonderful response where he is so kind, so encouraging, and best of all, says yes, he is pretty sure he can help us.
I am so happy for you! It will certainly be money well spent if it helps. Also totally nosy and wanting to know who it is, but that is certainly up to you to share or not. I'm just glad to hear you have a plan in sight that is making things look brighter.

I've been in a weird place with my guys. Gusto had a couple of really good runs after some good lessons and a seminar earlier this spring, then in one day of a trial pretty much threw me back into "I give up" mode. He got halfway through a course nicely and cleanly and happily, and just froze and shut down suddenly. I tried to just keep moving and get a few more obstacles so he could have a happy run out of the ring, and he could barely move. He finally walked out of the ring behind me looking like he would rather be anywhere else.

I still have no idea what was going on, although I suspect it was as much me as it was him. It was AKC, a venue I don't love and don't do often, so I didn't have a group of people around me that I knew and liked. So maybe I was stressing and not myself. Or maybe he doesn't like the footing in that site, or maybe he's just a weirdo. Whatever. We are done with that site, and probably done with AKC. Kind of a bummer, because it is a twice-a-year trial 20 minutes from my house, and those are 2 of the 3 trials in a year that don't require an overnight trip for me. But what Gusto wants, Gusto gets.

Luckily I was already entered the following weekend in USDAA or I'm not sure I would have gotten myself back in the ring after that. It was an outdoor trial, the weather was very cool, and it was a wonderful, familiar crowd of people I like. Gusto ran better and better each run, culminating in a snooker Super Q at the end of the weekend.

We are mid-trial right now, hanging out at the hotel. Indoors, site he likes, and he's doing pretty well. Not as fast as I'd like in a perfect world, and being weird about the teeter which usually isn't his thing, but he had clean runs in jumpers and snooker today, and came fairly close to getting a really tough gamble.

We'll see. We keep trucking along, and things are gradually getting better. It's nice for me when people who only see him run every 8 weeks or so at a trial can give me good feedback on the changes they see.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm All Ears

Hank KILLED agility class today. Omg. I am getting so excited about how all the little pieces we've been working on are starting to come together. Long ways to go to first real trial still but dang.

He even did 6 weaves closed in a sequence! First time ever outside our yard. And on both hands.

I feel like he's some sort of weird agility prodigy. He's just so good at it.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Getting all of Payton's agility records together to send to our new trainer...
Oh my God. I knew, of course I knew, but collecting them all together at once is overwhelming. I keep having to take a break because I can't handle it anymore. I would literally just be sitting here crying if I didn't believe my trainer that we can fix this. because holy failure Batman... so much failure. It hurts.

Next I have to put together video. Ugh. Something tells me that is going to be worse.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ NF CGC
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog