Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default Potty breaking advice.

So I am learning all about Pan's stubborn side.

I have a designated doggy bathroom area that he has been going too since he has been here, until today he refuses to go poo in that area. He has peed this morning when we got up. Now, so far all I have been doing in not allowing him onto the grass, which he has been trying. He would rather try and play the escape game than go poo.

If he won't go to the bathroom after a few minutes I pack him up and put him back into his kennel. He screams bloody murder for a few minutes then settles down and falls asleep. Then once he falls asleep for about 10 minutes I take him back outside. I've done this about 5 times already and still he refuses to poo in the bathroom area.

Suggestions? Should I just keep doing what I am doing until he gives in and goes poo? And I know he really needs to go poo same with pee. He drank a ton about an hour ago. And had breakfast about 2 hours ago.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 07-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I would just persist!!

Potty breaks were dull in our house. We didn't play, they weren't fun, they were all on lead and you got a party after! They go to the cue "hurry up"!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Top Dog

I would keep doing what you're doing. It's what I did with Carma and she got the idea after a few rounds.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

What is the "substrate" of the potty area (if not grass)? He may just not be used to going on that substrate, especially if it's not soft/absorbant as dogs and cats seem to naturally prefer that. You could try throwing down a puppy pad in the area and see if he likes that since it's soft and may have been used at the breeder's, then transition away from it when pooping in that area is a habit.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:36 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I inadvertently taught Josefina the "this is the potty area" command without even realizing it xD, when she was young we always went to the same place for potty time at the place where we lived and I played the waiting game, walking in an endless circle in the middle of winter in my pajamas ... Rain or not, sometimes at 2 in the morning.

It sounds like he is testing you ... Just be consistent and stick to your guns

Old 02-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Puppy Dog

Just keep what your doing and Pan will poop when he feels like it.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Active Pup

Just be consistent and patient with your pooch, especially when potty training him, and he will eventually learn the routine.