Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Just to throw in, a lot of people I know with running contacts also train stopped contacts because sometimes you need both. Trkman lost some competitions because judges started setting up courses where running contacts put you at a huge disadvantage. The people (mostly Brits IIRC) who had both contacts on their dogs were able to have success.

Payton has 2o2o not because I need to catch up but because I want his contacts to be clear to the judge. I have seen plenty of contacts get called because the judge isn't sure. Don't make the judge question your contacts is what I have been told by multiple agility pals who are also judges... so I went 2o2o with him. Although I am going to re-train his a-frame to a running a-frame... and I may regret it... if he starts getting called even if he is in, I will probably switch back to 2o2o again... =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-12-2014, 07:09 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
She's 10 now, right? Meg is 10 as well (give or take). Obviously it isn't young, but there are certainly plenty of other dogs in the double digits out there running. I wouldn't let the number be the judge, just how she seems to be doing and feeling. I think one of the Cavaliers we train with is 10 as well, and just barely bumped down to veterans.
Yes she is 10 1/2 or so now. I do see some older dogs running which is why I'd hoped we'd get another year or two.

But she's really slowed down. She's so sensitive to stress though that I wonder if the move and adding a wild dog into the house is not the bigger issue. I don't want to rush into retirement. But I don't want to force her to play if she doesn't want to. I'm definitely going to try to finish out this round of classes (5 more weeks) then re-evaluate.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

My Aunt's labs have all continued doing agility into their teens. Her last dog was still trialing at 13! It varies so much from dog to dog though--genetics, health, etc. My Jack is only almost 10 but he wouldn't physically be capable of doing agility.

I'm doing running contacts with Crossbone. He will also 2o2o anything...so I always have an emergency back up if I need it. We've actually played with switching between the two with different verbal and body cues and he does awesome. I am not a believer that dogs can only learn one way to do contacts.

AND I'M SO GLAD IT'S MONDAY! Class tonight! I keep missing it due to work, but today looks promising so far.

Sent in our entry for our first AKC trial in November. ON DIRT. Crossbone loves racing around in dirt...it should be interesting.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 10-13-2014, 11:02 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
My Aunt's labs have all continued doing agility into their teens. Her last dog was still trialing at 13! It varies so much from dog to dog though--genetics, health, etc. My Jack is only almost 10 but he wouldn't physically be capable of doing agility.

I'm doing running contacts with Crossbone. He will also 2o2o anything...so I always have an emergency back up if I need it. We've actually played with switching between the two with different verbal and body cues and he does awesome. I am not a believer that dogs can only learn one way to do contacts.

AND I'M SO GLAD IT'S MONDAY! Class tonight! I keep missing it due to work, but today looks promising so far.

Sent in our entry for our first AKC trial in November. ON DIRT. Crossbone loves racing around in dirt...it should be interesting.
Trkman does a whole segment in her DVD on teaching the dogs BOTH styles and the reasons why it's helpful for them to understand both. She actually suggests stopped initially and then switching to running later on. I wanted to take her suggestion to start with stopped and switch to running later on, but I was kinda forced into doing running from the beginning and the fact that *I'm* slow started really causing my dog issues. *I* need the time get myself into place. That's what I was saying. And the whole thing actually caused me a lot of grief and stress and we were both hating agility for a while. So my gripe with contacts may be slightly personal... as I was forced into doing something I didn't want to do for the very reasons it turned sour for us.

Ideally when we're more advanced(and my distance skills pick up) I'll also teach running.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:14 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Congrats to Kimma on her Qs, and to Jari on his handling the trial! I know that feeling of being so thrilled that they are happy and running that you barely care that they are running the wrong obstacles.
Thanks BB! Yeah, it's such a GOOD feeling. I went to take Jari to class today (his first time in a real group class - he has had only privates up until this point because my schedule was dumb), and she was SO MAD I was leaving that I just took her too LOL. Ran her after the class was done

But Jari actually ran a FULL Masters course in class!!! Dog and people distractions were like nothing. He strayed at one point the first time we went towards where the other dogs/handlers were waiting, but I got him back no issues and I don't even think a judge would have called a refusal on that. He ran clean, pretty darn fast, and he was having a blast. I'm so excited for his future. And Kimma always does well at our training center, so we just played on the same Masters course and ran until she was tired basically hahaha.

AND I might get to run a friend's BC in trials starting probably next spring! She's already in Open but my friend is having trouble keeping up with her since she had a foot surgery recently so yeah. It will be cool to run another dog!!! Hoping to start practicing with her next week

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 10-14-2014, 01:28 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Our class is tonight and I am looking forward to it!! cant wait to see how she does and see my dog friends.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Top Dog

We did not have a fabulous trial. But we did have a successful one.

First FEO standard run... my plan was to do the first 5 obstacles (jump-jump-dogwalk-jump-weaves) and then celebrate and leave to give her the jackpot. Well, she blew her stopped contact on the walk and then proceeded to run around and take obstacles at random on her own. Instead of trying to get her back and focused I simply left to get my leash, caught her, and returned her promptly and neutrally to her crate.

Next run was also a standard run. I realized that the direction of the course had been reversed and that the first 3 obstacles from run 1 were now the last 3. So I took her to the finish line and set her up (and received a couple of helpful comments from ring crew that the start line was at the other end, lol). We did the first 3 obstacles. I made sure she did her stopped contact and then we had a party and left. For which I then received several nice comments on my training decision.

Jumpers was good. I completely screwed up the handling twice. But she stayed with me even with the mess ups.

Here's the jumpers run. I was really happy with her... not so much with me. lol. And you can see my fun outfit for the "Bad Pants Trial".

So I'm not sure what it is but she clearly finds Standard much more stressful or stimulating than Jumpers.....

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 10-15-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer and I had a GREAT class tonight. I really needed that with her. I had so much fun. Such a good dog.

Pre-class I took Hank out to play and work with him for about 45 minutes at the field and he is so fun too! He is SO FAST. So fast. I can't wait to get him really training.

And Mia and I had cuddles. Mia is the best.

I love my dogs.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Silence, peasants.

Found a place that does agility ring rentals and worked out a good time that classes aren't being run, going to go there to train weekly, starting the 27th.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
I'm All Ears

Dangit! They are not running snookers on Saturday at the trial! That's what we need our Q in!!!! And I can't come Sunday.