What's the point in feeding green tripe??

Read about this several times - don't really get it. Can someone explain what the benefits of green tripe are? What is it doing? why is it helpful?

Well for me personally, I just like to add it in from time to time for variety and because they absolutely love it.

SpringerLover

It is super nutrient dense and also very low phosphorus (well, exactly balanced with Calcium, which is uncommon) while still being considered "high protein" in a raw diet. I feed it for those three reasons to my very elderly dog. The other dogs get it because they think it's delicious.

link

interesting article - some of it seems odd to me though. Are there really that many digestive enzymes present in the rumen of a cow rather than further down the digestive tract??? Does a dog need extra digestive enzymes if it is healthy? I figured the pancreas should take care of everything. Also, I know that cows can develop acidty in their stomachs/rumen and that this is problematic -- this would lead me to believe that the contents of that thing should be high in pH, no? If that's the case it seems like things living in a high pH of one of the cow stomachs wouldn't do so well in a low pH of a dog's stomach and may not be helpful.

I do really like the nutritional value in it though - particularly the high level of essential fatty acids. I wonder if you could use the rumen of other animals like deer? could go to one of the local deer processor places and stock up on that stuff!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I will warn you, Deer tripe stinks even more than cow tripe, and god help you if your dog pukes it back up.

Also farts. For DAYS. Eye watering, room clearing farts.

And then you'll get dogs like Enzo who want to roll in it instead of eating it. THREE baths before I could stand to smell her, and she wasn't allowed in the bedroom for a week.

But yeah, I get a lot of free stuff from my processor, but I also hunt, and so a lot of stuff comes from my own deer. Other stuff is stuff that would otherwise get thrown away, so I get it for free. If you don't hunt, and aren't providing income to the processor in that way, or haven't made friends with them, you might prepare to pay a small fee for it (if I want antlers, and I haven't gotten an antlered buck, I have to pay for them, IF they have any spares that the people who got them don't want, which is fairly rare)

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
interesting article - some of it seems odd to me though. Are there really that many digestive enzymes present in the rumen of a cow rather than further down the digestive tract??? Does a dog need extra digestive enzymes if it is healthy? I figured the pancreas should take care of everything. Also, I know that cows can develop acidty in their stomachs/rumen and that this is problematic -- this would lead me to believe that the contents of that thing should be high in pH, no? If that's the case it seems like things living in a high pH of one of the cow stomachs wouldn't do so well in a low pH of a dog's stomach and may not be helpful.

I do really like the nutritional value in it though - particularly the high level of essential fatty acids. I wonder if you could use the rumen of other animals like deer? could go to one of the local deer processor places and stock up on that stuff!
Most feed beef tripe I think, because it is most readily available, but I'm sure you could also use the rumen of other animals as well. It would just add to the variety that goes along with a raw diet.

Members online

No members online now.