'So You're Getting a Dog...' Seminar

So at work, I'm supposed to create and present a quick seminar (1.5 hrs or so) for new dog/puppy buyers. I've scratched out a basic outline of what I'd like to do and I'm hoping you guys can fill in any blanks I've missed.

The audience is primarily average pet owners, some with previous dog knowledge/experience, some without. What do you think would be important information for them to receive?

My general outline so far:

Before You Bring Home Fido
1. Dog or Puppy?
2. Rescue, shelter, breeder, rehome? Pros and cons for each.
3. Preparing your home (puppy proofing, fixing fences, etc)
4. Things to get in advance (shopping list)

After Fido Gets Home
1. The importance of settling in for adult dogs (aka 2 week shutdown/staycation)
2. Introductions to existing pets
3. Importance of socialization (and puppy class) for puppies
4. Training approaches - options available and why it is safer and more fun to leave traditional correction-based training behind.
5. Info on common annoying behaviors and some basic ammo for tackling them (to cover: potty training, mouthing, jumping)
6. Importance of crate training.
7. Relationship building and life enrichment.

What have I missed?

Lyzelle

You got it very well covered, IMO. Only think I can think of otherwise is vet shopping, importance of finding a vet with the same goals and plans for your dog as you (vaccinations, mindset, food, certain services offered, etc).

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I'm sure you'll cover it, but I've found what a lot of people don't understand is breed differences and normal puppy/dog behavior for different breeds. It isn't all how you raise them, genetics plays a large role.

For example, a client at work had never owned a dog before and purchased a Golden Retriever puppy. Their complaints? The puppy puts everything in its mouth, chews on everything (including them) and is "aggressive" (growls and acts like a brat when playing). They want to know what they're doing wrong and why their puppy is "acting out". It's not. It's just a normal retriever puppy. It broke my heart seeing this happy, cheerful, confident 11 week old Golden puppy getting called aggressive and out if control. I really, really hope they don't consider him as such and ruin him. :(

BostonBanker

I think it is a great list. The only thing that jumps out at me as missing would be a brief discussion about leash training/tools. Without a doubt, the biggest issue I ever heard when teaching classes was about dogs who pull on the leash. For a lot of people, it was the main reason they signed up for classes.

Thanks all of you, those are great points. I'll probably just mention vets briefly, to remind clients they don't have to settle for a vet they aren't crazy about. I might include a short bit on leash manners too.

Breed types are definitely worth a mention, thanks. I won't talk about each type in detail since there's tons of books, websites, forums etc for them to research their preferred breed/type. But great reminder that good dog is (usually) the product of a lot of training and socialization, it's not just a matter of picking the right breed.

LMost

Lifespans and Maturing.

A lot don't know generally smaller dogs mature faster, and large dogs don't fully mature both physically and mentally until 2 or sometimes 3yrs.

Members online