What weird games do you play with your dog?

Slick

Kristina
I can't be the only person who plays weird/crazy games with my dog, right? RIGHT?

Example One
Every time I put on socks, I will first tease/attack Leo with them...smacking him in the face with them, trying to wrap them around his muzzle, all while Leo is enthusiastically trying to bite and attack them. We play literally every time I put on socks, and he will come running over as soon as he sees socks in my hand and gets super super excited. Then, as soon as the socks are on my feet, they are off limits and no longer interesting

Example Two
We play violent keep-away. And by that I mean, I am violently keeping HIM away from the toy. The toy will be sitting on the floor, and I am literally using almost 100% effort to keep him away from it. Pushing him across the room, body blocking him, grabbing him around the waist and pulling him back. Leo ADORES it! Best game ever! As soon as he gets the toy (and he always inevitably does despite my effort), he immediately gives it right back for another go. I think the being prevented from getting toy part activates a prey/hunting drive of some kind, because he is just SO into it. He's developed some crazy agility moves and fakes in the course of our playing too.

But yeah, we play these games in the privacy of my house, cause I am pretty sure other people would think we are completely bonkers if they ever saw us :lol-sign:.

Do you play any weird games with your dogs? Aka, not the normal fetch or tug games?

With Knar I don't do too much with anymore because of his age, but some times I still tickle the ground and he will chase my fingers, tapping his front paws on the floor. In his younger years, we use to play "basketball," where you would 'dribble' like you had a basketball, only Knar was below jumping straight up and down.

Ro, I like to wait until he is sleeping and then I causally toss a pop cap in front of his view. He just sits there for a few seconds like he didn't notice, then hops up and grabs it, then proceeds to do the chow dance with the cap [bowing, swinging head side to side and then doing a commando roll to the floor, where he ends up on his back chomping on this cap]. I also like to play 'hide n seek' with him...where I duck behind a door way and then jump out when he's about to find me. He then breaks out into zoomies as he peels off across the house, before heading back to tag me.

Rip, I like to play "here comes the airplane." I'll have one of his toys and make it zoom and just lightly tap his nose before taking off. He sits there, mouth half open trying to catch it and then when he does, we play tug.

None too exciting, but they keep me amused.

Last edited:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams turns everything into a game. I normally just hit him with (soft) random objects if I'm using them (the flyswatter is his favorite) and he'll butt tuck and run around. Whenever I vacuum at some point we'll play a game of bitey face with the vacuum hose.

Michael is the one that really plays a *game* with him and I have dubbed it King of the Toys. Essentially, they both try to hoard all possible toys into a little pile and defend them from the other. Michael typically starts the game off with all of them and sits on them and Abrams tries to steal them. He may get one or two and then Michael tries to get them back without loosing anymore toys. This can go on for quite some time. I filmed it at one point, and that session ended with Abrams luring Michael from the pile, making a mad dash and grabbing as many toys as he could in his mouth, bolting away (while dropping toys, and you could see the complete and total confliction in his eyes when he left them to get reclaimed so he could make his escape Hahaha), and then parading just out of Michael's reach with his reclaimed toys. LOL

Holly plays this fun game of "Hide the Shoe/wallet/keys". Best played when I'm running late for work. I swear, of all my dogs she's the one who can giggle.

Jesse and I play Hide & Seek, he has yet to figure out I'm ALWAYS BEHIND THE DOOR. Derp.

Riggin's my star, he loves a good, rousing game of food catch. You can toss any manner of food at his head and he'll catch it. He very rarely misses, even from across the room. He's the easiest of the three to give pills to.

Favourite thing to do is a good, old fashioned sing-along. I don't know why I love to hear them howl, but it sounds so cool.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Watson likes to play the "I'm gonna get the dog" game.

I or the husband start this off with saying "I'm gonna get you!" to Watson and it starts of a game of catch the zooming basenji :)

Both my dogs love it when we pretend to play bow to them this usually starts off all out wrestling and chasing games.

>.< we play got your nose. Like weirdos. The only time it sucks is when, every once in a while, Percy decides he needs to get my nose. Then it's not fun. It hurts. Generally, though, I'll grab a dog's nose and "run off with it". The dogs chase me and one gets the nose back, eventually. It's completely ridiculous, but amazingly fun... Except when Percy is a jerk. >.<

Jenne

Ball Thrower
I play dead by falling down and saying dramatically, "I'm dead, dead, I say." Chase will stop whatever he's doing and run over. He'll sniff and lick me, also rubs his head on me. Then I will pop up and say, "its alive", then chase him before I die again.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Whack a Mole with the couch. We can stick our hands up through the couch cushions, and Siri goes beserk, trying to grab them as they come out.

Equinox

I play a game with Siege where I work her up with a really high value toy, which gets her crazy jumping, springing, lunging, snapping, etc. And then I try to see how high she can go and how close she can snap at me without making contact.

It's...not a very smart game :rofl1:

With Trent I like to roll him on his back and make him flop from side to side while narrating "floop...flop!...annnd flooop....and flop!". I also like to lie down and die dramatically and wait for him to maul me.

tl;dr I am basically a 5 year old child

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
My husband likes to roll Ru over and over and over on the bed, until Ru explodes into zoomies and runs around in circles on the bed.

Brisbane is entirely too dignified for any of this, and all of his games involve biting things. Bite the broom, bit the vacuum, bite the cats...

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I uh, smack them in the face a bit and then let them maul me until they've knocked me down and I quit moving. Then we get up and do it all over again.

Or I'll smack them with a sock or washcloth (softly, of course) and see how long it takes them to grab it lol. They let go immediately, because they want to keep playing the game. :p

amberdyan

Hugo and I play 2 kind of weird games.

1. "1 dog, 3 skinnees" Hugo has 3 skinnees. I pull them out all at the same time and start hitting him with this as fast as I can. He grabs them and flings them wildly in attempt to hit me as much as he can. I have thumbs so I win.

2. "You shall not pass" It's exactly what it sounds like. I will sit down on the ground and open my arms wide and Hugo will try to rush past me. I block him and try to pass around him while he blocks me.

Bonus: We've only played it a few times since I finished unpacking (because it's hard to set up) but we used to play "obstacle course" with the packing boxes when we moved. We would run through the house leaping over boxes as fast as we could (he would follow my path). Whoever tripped or got confused lost. He is much more agile than I am. I fell a few times. Now I sometimes do it with laundry baskets and folded clothes and one time I jumped from the couch over the coffee table in an epic maneuver that I'm sure if I tried I again I would crack my head open.

Members online

No members online now.