The dog musing/vent thread

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Liz is scheduled to have a huge splenic tumor removed tomorrow. I'm asking for all the prayers and vibes I can get that it's not a hemangiosarcoma. She's 11, has showed no signs of being sick (I had just volunteered her for the 2nd years' ultrasound lab is how they found it) and according to at least 3 doctors, the rest of the organs look good. I'm hoping it's an uneventful surgery and we still have many years together.

SpringerLover

Liz is scheduled to have a huge splenic tumor removed tomorrow. I'm asking for all the prayers and vibes I can get that it's not a hemangiosarcoma. She's 11, has showed no signs of being sick (I had just volunteered her for the 2nd years' ultrasound lab is how they found it) and according to at least 3 doctors, the rest of the organs look good. I'm hoping it's an uneventful surgery and we still have many years together.
How scary. But lucky! Good luck to you guys. Hopefully it is easily removed.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I got good news yesterday which means realistically I could get a puppy at any time.

Right now I'm planning on not looking but if the opportunity arises then taking it. But winter 2015/16 sounds pretty reasonable to really start looking. It would also put 2 years between Hank and puppy and he'd hopefully be trialing by then.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I got good news yesterday which means realistically I could get a puppy at any time.

Right now I'm planning on not looking but if the opportunity arises then taking it. But winter 2015/16 sounds pretty reasonable to really start looking. It would also put 2 years between Hank and puppy and he'd hopefully be trialing by then.
*chants* MAS! MAS! MAS!:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I just discovered that there is a long haired podenco breed. Holy crap. Why have I not heard of these before?

Podenco Xarnego Valenciano

They look like border collies and ibizans had a baby!

Sekah

The Monster.
This is my friend's Podenco. She's got a wire haired coat and is absolutely gorgeous. She's definitely a hound in temperament though.

Those ones you linked look to have an almost plush coat -- I've not seen anything quite like that before.

E: I'm dumb and didn't quite understand the concept of podencos. I see there are a couple breeds within it. Really gorgeous.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I guess they're kind of like a type of dog? I think podenco just means hound. What type is your friends?

I'm pretty sure I'm not a hound person but they are very pretty!

Previously I only knew of portuguese podengos (medio, grande, and pequeno), canarios, andaluz, ibizans (obviously), cirneco, and pharaohs for that general 'breed type'. But apparently there's quite a few more!

Who knew.

Slick

Kristina
A miracle happened! Leo slept the entire night in my bed. This has never ever happened before! He has never so much as slept more than 2 hours in my bed.

Usually, he tries to sleep in my bed, and within a half an hour leaves in a huff because I move too much. His definition of moving too much includes if I turn my head from one side to another or even just slightly move my hand.

However, last night he stayed the entire night INCLUDING several times where I physically shoved him to the side because he was taking up the entire bed and I was squished against the wall.

I mean, I'm happy with it, but its actually strange enough behavior that I am going to keep an eye on him just in case he is somehow feeling under the weather or something. He seems perfectly find though. I think he might be getting cold at night and has finally figured out that my bed equals way more body heat.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
It probably was me. I bet I am HIGHLY contagious right now.
Case in point...

Went to Target. Saw in the back they have a whole bunch of Blackhawks stuff. "Oh cool!" I thought, because it's actually pretty hard to find hockey stuff, so I started leafing through looking for a cool shirt for me.

Found a small child (dog) sized jersey.

Picked it up to be like OH HOW CUTE and... and... I flipped it over.

HOW MUCH IS IT
I DON'T CARE
BOUGHT

So much for not buying anything before Baby Kaner is conceived...

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Holy cow, the Podenco Xarnego Valenciano is gorgeous.

I keep telling myself that I can't buy any puppy stuff until the puppies are at least conceived. Preferably born, but conceived is my bare minimum.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Up until a little while ago, I never would have believed that Rigby would be a "take anywhere" type of dog. Tonight was her second trip out to the apartment taking public transit.
2 hour train ride.
20 minute nice-bus ride.
25 minute gross city-bus ride (last time we took a cab instead, tonight was her first experience with the city bus).
She championed through it silently, patiently and best of all, confidently.

This trip was an improvement over the last, but even the last one was a breeze.

It was a little heartbreaking to see her run excitedly up the stairs into the apartment in search of Josh only to find he's not here (he's working until 11). :rolleyes:

She's nuts, and a total PITA at times, but this little mutt is wonderful and has made leaps and bounds from when I found her.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Y'know, normally it is a nice thing to have family home while you are at work.

But no, it's always gotta be something difficult with Roxie because they just can't understand how to be halfway responsible. I really wish I could clone myself.

And of course it's my fault. I am the worst person on earth for adopting this absolutely rotten mutt who needs to just not exist. Who is also my heartdog. Who everyone else always compliments and tells me she's the best dog.

I don't want to fight anymore over my best friend. I was having a decent day. Yes, I understand that she's not a bump on a log, but she is still a d@mn good dog.

Toasties is the best puppy. He went to visit PWCorgi at her work this afternoon and then tagged along to Squash's agility class tonight, and he was a champ.

The only thing that seriously concerned him was when a golden got the zoomies and started running thundering circles through the tunnel over and over, but to be fair that disturbed me a little, too. :p

DJEtzel

My boss got this email and forwarded it to me. These sorts of things make me so happy. :)

"Hi _____
I know you're out of town but wanted to say thank you for recommending the agility lesson for ______. We had a blast and Danielle was fantastic! Looking forward to next week!!"

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
I just discovered that there is a long haired podenco breed. Holy crap. Why have I not heard of these before?

Podenco Xarnego Valenciano

They look like border collies and ibizans had a baby!
Umm... I don't understand how I just heard of them until now. I'm in love, appearance wise.

Case in point...

Went to Target. Saw in the back they have a whole bunch of Blackhawks stuff. "Oh cool!" I thought, because it's actually pretty hard to find hockey stuff, so I started leafing through looking for a cool shirt for me.

Found a small child (dog) sized jersey.

Picked it up to be like OH HOW CUTE and... and... I flipped it over.

HOW MUCH IS IT
I DON'T CARE
BOUGHT

So much for not buying anything before Baby Kaner is conceived...
IT IS A SIGN.

Well I just got to deal with a month's worth of Fable's sh*t (literally). I forgot to empty the dog poop bin into the big garbage can last garbage day, and since the garbage only gets collected every 2 weeks.... Let's just say it smelled REALLY bad and probably weighed more than Fable. I'm glad I'm not the squeamish type. :yikes:

StillandSilent

As someone who works in a busy doggy day care, even a days worth of poop can be horrifying. You can always tell when the previous shift failed to dump the cans from the wails of "Doooooooodeeeeeeeee! So much doooodeeeee!" coming from the dog yard.

I keep telling myself that I can't buy any puppy stuff until the puppies are at least conceived. Preferably born, but conceived is my bare minimum.
Yes. It's looking like it's going to be Sept/Oct before my puppy comes, though the bitch could technically come into season at any point. I have names (at least 10) picked out, and I keep looking at toys and thinking about which ones my puppy would like best. You know, the puppy that doesn't even exist yet....

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Apparently Hank had a total meltdown being boarded in a kennel run. And they had to move him to the hospital area of the vet away from the kennel environment. I swear he thought he was back at the shelter.

Members online

No members online now.