Small dog folks....help please!

JacksonsMom

I find it interesting that no one mentioned pugs.

They will probably be over your 10lb limit, but minimal grooming, most are pretty layed back, but enjoy a good walk. They seem to meet a lot of your requirements.
Oh yes duh! I think Pug is a great choice. :)

ACooper

If you're not set on a breed, what about a rescue/shelter mutt?
Mericox, we don't mind a rescue/shelter dog.....that's where Phoebe came from and she gave us 13 years of happiness :)

A couple problems up here (N. Indiana) with that is

1.) when a small dog of nearly ANY kind (leaving out chiahuahuas cause we are definitely not interested) comes into a shelter/rescue it's practically fought over...........seriously, there is a line to beat all lines for them.

2.) We are now at a point in our lives where we have more specific needs.......not just a loveable family member who is good with kids. It's much harder to get specific needs from a mutt.....not impossible, just less likely.

Make no mistake, I am not against a shelter/rescue, not against accepting a rehome from other sources either, but I would like some idea of size, temperament, etc Matter of fact, it's unlikely we will be looking for a breeder..........more than likely be looking for a rehome situation :)

thehoundgirl

Pugs are nice little dogs! They're not usually 10 lbs. though. I have worked with quite a few at the shelter and I really like them.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Yep, if that 10lb number is loose, I'd say look at pugs :) They are small for their weight (and, well, most are overweight, so if you're looking at a rehome, the weight they give you probably isn't an ideal weight), and would pretty well match everything else in your list.

BostonBanker

If you get a brussel, you must name it Sprout.

"Hi guys, this is my brussel, Sprout."
That's better than my plan to get a pap and name it Smear.

As for the topic, CKCS are definitely one of my favorite small breeds, and seem like a good fit, although a bit over 10 lbs usually I think. Every one I've known is incredibly sweet and cuddly, not big barkers, and mostly they want to snuggle on your lap. My friends run agility with theirs, but I don't think they *need* that kind of exercise and training. The health issues are absolutely something to be aware of and talk to breeders about, but they can certainly have pretty normal lives. My friends have a 9 year old male still running Masters level agility at a national level, and just lost one of their females who was 13.

ACooper

Yep, if that 10lb number is loose, I'd say look at pugs :) They are small for their weight (and, well, most are overweight, so if you're looking at a rehome, the weight they give you probably isn't an ideal weight), and would pretty well match everything else in your list.
Pugs are cute, but there are just certain breeds that family/friends have ruined with their poor ownership. Pugs and Chihuahuas are two of them for us, and it's a shame because aesthetically speaking, both of those breeds are very nice.

I shiver at the thought of owning EITHER of those breeds, and logically I know it's not their fault, and I know from being here at chazhound there are well behaved, trained versions.......but being around the terrible out of control versions just........ugh! *shiver*

Also, ROFL at Brussel Sprout and Pap Smear! LOL........I hope you guys are kinder to your human children if you should have any, LOLOL

And as for the Caveliers.....ya, I've seen the documentary and I really don't want to get into a heart breaking health situation :( I don't think I could handle it well at all. ANY dog could end up with health issues, but some are just way too high odds for me to willingly walk into.

Get a frenchie and post lots of pictures. K. Thx.

What about an Italian Greyhound?

Also, ROFL at Brussel Sprout and Pap Smear! LOL........I hope you guys are kinder to your human children if you should have any, LOLOL
My cousin, whose last name is Bishop keeps saying when he has a son he wants to name the kid Arch.....Arch Bishop.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
P.S.....with all the Havanese votes, they are not only added to the list but will be rocketed to the top! When so many chazzers agree on something.........it's definitely a sign! hahahahaha
Yay! I just love those little dogs :) So happy and sweet! They would definitely be my first choice if I was looking for something small and easy going.

Members online

No members online now.