Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
First time he's gotten all his weave poles since May. I didn't care about the rest of the run after that (totally forget we actually could have gotten a Q out of it had I paid attention) because I was just so **** happy he got his weaves. Big celebration afterward, lots of steak and kisses.
As nice as the Q might have been, I think that was probably exactly the right way to finish the run! Congrats!

Quote:
I wanted to try entering him in some CPE or USDAA or something, something where the runs are cheaper and I could get him in the ring more often, but there's hardly any around here.
Drat, that would have been my suggestion. The other nice thing about those venues is that each has some games where you can basically work on what you want. I know plenty of people who use gamblers (jackpot in CPE) to work their dog's contacts or weaves in the ring, since you can just keep putting them back over the a-frame, for example. Plus USDAA jumpers doesn't have anything but jumps and tunnels (no weaves), so it is a great confidence building class.

Quote:
Payton wants me to start a new agility organization called Paytongility.
I have long said that I am going to start my own agility organization. It will consist only of snooker, jumpers, and steeplechase. When you register for the year, you get 3 do-over cards, good on any run at any trial.

Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

FAST class in AKC is the option for that... one of my friends told me he had to enter FAST with his dog to reinforce her contacts. I've been kind of resistant to entering because I don't really like FAST, but I think I might need to give it a shot.

We got waitlisted for our next trial, and my second option for an August trial is already closed. So we might be taking another month off. I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for some online courses to open too, since I got my raise and can afford some stuff again. I really want to try a Tracy Skelnar Agility U class...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
Vizsla mom

I still haven't submitted my entry for the trial in two weeks.. I want to find success with her. I've done SO much to find success.. is there ever a moment in a stressy, runaway dogs life where you instantly can tell they are ready to trial?

$125 for the entry fees
$110 for the hotel
$150 for gas
-------
$385 total

Basically, I'm sick of burning that much money to compete& only end up sad& in tears that my dog runs away. I need to decide before tomorrow evening what to do.. ugh.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

I hope it's not unreasonable to offer up this great read here. http://thecognitivecanine.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/844/

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I hope it's not unreasonable to offer up this great read here. http://thecognitivecanine.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/844/
I don't think it is at all. I agree that it is a great article.

Gusto and I are coming off a break. As hard as it was, it has already had an impact. Maybe it only did because I was so frustrated with trying to do agility with him, but I'm so glad I took the break. It wasn't long - about a month of zero agility. We hiked, we swam, we played ball on the green, and I fell in love with him again. I also went back to a training aspect that had gotten kind of lost in the shuffle - the quote I like from Ian Dunbar was something like "Every five minutes, ask yourself 'is this good', and if it is, tell them." Lots more rewarding just for doing the right thing, even if I didn't ask for anything. And yesterday when we were at the green, and a dog popped out of the bike path, Gusto started to bark and run to the end of the green as he usually does. And I quietly said "lie down" and he dropped into a down, looked back over at me, wagged, and then came running back for a cookie when I told him he was a genius.

We are starting on our new dog walk training plan, and I went to practice at a friend's house last night. I told myself getting out of the car that my ONLY criteria for at least the first week is "Gusto thinks this is a great game". I want him quivering with excitement when he sees the hoop. If he runs by it or takes off with his toy, I don't care. Happy, happy Gusto. The rest will come.

Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM
Sport Model Pug

Rockstar pug was on fire tonight at the field. Weaving all the things from hard distances and with me layering from behind contact equipment. The hardest thing for us was sending out to jumps, go figure she gets the trickiest obstacle from a distance but a single jump throws us haha. Good Pug.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug