What Breed?

Lloyd

I'm looking for a breed that:
-can retrieve
-is short haired or smooth
-like hot weather
-can have a light coat colour
-can retrieve at night when lamping (if this isn't possible then don't worry)
-is medium height (not Labrador sized)

MicksMom

-can retrieve
-like hot weather
Really, all I can think of is a Lab. Labs are medium sized. Or at least, they're supposed to be. ;) From the AKC standard:
General Appearance
The Labrador Retriever is a strongly built, medium-sized, short-coupled, dog possessing a sound, athletic, well-balanced conformation that enables it to function as a retrieving gun dog; the substance and soundness to hunt waterfowl or upland game for long hours under difficult conditions; the character and quality to win in the show ring; and the temperament to be a family companion.

Size, Proportion and Substance
Size--The height at the withers for a dog is 22½ to 24½ inches; for a bitch is 21½ to 23½ inches. Any variance greater than ½ inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds.
The minimum height ranges set forth in the paragraph above shall not apply to dogs or bitches under twelve months of age.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
^ What she said.

A Labrador should be a medium sized dog. I know many breeders (both show and field) who are breeding dogs too large. I've seen *way* too many Labradors who are larger than my Chessie...and that just shouldn't be so.

I think a nice field bred yellow Lab bitch would be appropriate for what you want.

The only other breeds I can think of have a feathered coat to one degree or another. Most field bred dogs don't have a thick feathered coat that requires a lot of upkeep, so you can decide if that is something you can compromise on. Other breeds that come to mind would be a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, a Golden Retriever (would probably have to go with a smaller female, like with the Lab).

I also think it depends on how seriously you need a dog to retrieve...some of the spaniel breeds would fit your bill, but they're obviously not inherent retrievers like a, well, Retriever would be. While they may not be able to brave icy cold waters like the Retriever breeds would, I do believe plenty are used for upland retrieving. Field bred English Cocker Spaniels, Boykin Spaniels, Brittany, Springers, etc.

MicksMom

...Other breeds that come to mind would be a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, a Golden Retriever (would probably have to go with a smaller female, like with the Lab)...
I was thinking Toller, too, except for the coat. Then I couldn't remember if they actually go out into the water to retrieve like a Lab.

A German Shorthair Pointer would fit the bill, too, except it's hard to find ones that are white with little ticking.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Oh, I forgot to put this in my first post:

Maybe a Vizsla? Although I don't know if they retrieve? But everything else about them would fit the bill to a T, although they may not be as "medium" sized as the OP wanted. That being said, it'd be easier to find a more medium Vizsla than it would a Lab, I bet.

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
I was going to say Lab, too.

Harleigh (though not fully Lab) is 65 pounds. The max I like to see her weigh is 68, which I would still consider medium sized. She is on the taller side, but again not a good representative of the breed lol

Like the others have said... a Labrador should be medium sized. I really do think they would fit the bill!

miasmom123

I was also going to say lab,lol. I think they would be a great fit for you. I have a rescue lab on the smaller side(about 20-21")

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
GSPs should be significantly larger than a lab.. There's Vizsla if you don't mind psycho energy and a softer temperament!

gilles

some pointer breeds and some of the french braque breeds, there are different breeds in that category.

Romy

Taxiderpy
-can retrieve
-like hot weather
When you say lamping, what game are you looking for? I've only seen that term used in reference to rabbit hunting.

Doberluv

A Standard or Mini Poodle. Standards range quite a bit in height so you can find one on the smaller side if average is too tall. You can keep their coats clipped short if you like and they're excellent bird retrieving dogs, one of the most intelligent and quick to learn breeds, energetic and really into learning...great with kids, other dogs. I'm really loving my two Toy Poodles. They'd probably be too small for what you want. But fortunately, they come in 3 size ranges.

Members online

No members online now.