Stupid Vet - grrrrrr - vent

So my aunt has a 14 year old pomeranian. Has never been super healthy. The vet she has been going to for the last 4 or 5 years drives me batty. Always pushing treatments, and test, and vaccinations, etc. Like last year, he convinced her a teeth cleaning HAD to be done. She was at the time not doing super well and 13. Her trachea collapsed and she was a mess when she got home. Vet however said she most of caught kennel cough in the neighborhood and thats what caused the problems. Thats just one example of this vet.

So yesterday....she goes in. Vet says she needs vaccinations. Vet gave her Rabies (will only give 1 year also), Bordatella, AND DHLPPC!!!!! All at the same time, all on a 14 year old dog with kidney issues (from tainted china treats) and who is on low dosages of phenobarb for some seizures. A dog who only goes outside to potty and walk around the total suburb neighborhood.

Sure enough, today she is a mess. Totally lethargic, wont eat or drink, muscle tremors, and tries to bite my aunt whenever she tries to pick her up. I went and picked up a couple homeopathics that should help (and last I heard she was doing a bit better, licked a bit of the medicine and the tremors stopped).

But seriously, this vet......tons of crap in the past but this is just beyond belief to me. Also considering my aunt is there monthly for glucosamine shots its not like he "thought" she wouldnt want to do extra trips.....and regardless of that there is NO WAY a 14 year old dog needs all of those.

:mad::fighting0040::wall::madgo:

It's hard too when they just keep going back. Noods vet is a bit like that, they only offer one year DHLPP, he was SO sick after, that was it, I'll NEVER allow a dog of mine to get the lepto vacc or combo, and I've always refused yearlys. We've just been ignoring the vets "reminder cards" and he'll only get the rabies again as long as he's with us, 3 year of coarse. Jinj is doing really bad right now too because of his last rabies vacc, the vet agreed and we aren't doing anything else, but by law he had to have that last rabies vacc, I'm done, if he's still alive by the next due date (2014) I wont, screw the law I want my dog alive! And I've never heard of a Glucosamine shot before?

It's not glucosamine exactly. It's called Cartrophen/adequan and it's done wonders for my old dog.

Why doesn't your aunt switch vets?

Also, going on a bit of a tangent. Dental cleanings ARE important and if a dog is otherwise healthy (ie no serious kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease) or other reason why anesthetic cannot be safely performed can greatly improve quality of life. (I'm not talking a about your aunt's dog specifically, just in general terms here.)

It seems like they aren't very current on today's recommendations at the very least.

She doesnt switch because IMO this vet is good at schmoozing. He is always very gracious, takes time with her and talks about how much he loves her dog, how he knows she only wants whats best for her etc. To be fair, this dog does not like men (except my uncle) but does like this vet, so thats another factor.

I dont think he is a horrible person, but geez, that many vaccines at once is just asinine.

Oh and yes, dental care is very important, I agree. It can cause a whole host of issues if not addressed but yeah, this situation you have to way the pros and cons

spiffy

Vets are supposed to be our (and our pets') friends. There is no question about the importance of the healthcare they provide to our pets. I for one would always feel reassured as soon as I see the signage of the vet facility. I know that whatever is making my pet ill would be resolved. Not all vets though are cut from the same cloth. Most would show concern for the animals under their care while some are out to fatten their pocketbooks.

Taqroy

I would be livid. I hate it when vets push vaccinations like that - 90% of the time people don't know any better and they vaccinate for stuff that doesn't even apply to them. I did that for two years after I got Murphy, before I thought to google it. I hope your aunt's dog recovers okay. :(

It's not glucosamine exactly. It's called Cartrophen/adequan and it's done wonders for my old dog.
Yes, I give that to Jinj, it's not Glucosamine, it's a Chondroitin. Just checking, always looking for something better, not that Adequan doesn't do a good job, but he still has bad days.

Members online

No members online now.